main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends You Know What They Say - M*A*S*H Challenge response

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: You Know What They Say
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Character: Luke and Mara
    Notes: Written for the M*A*S*H challenge. My quote was #29.

Charles: Margaret, we are both adults.
    Margaret: Yes, of the opposite sex.

You Know What They Say

Luke leaned back against the wall and Mara tried very hard not to stare the taut stomach muscles his position revealed. Instead, she focused her eyes, very carefully and deliberately, on his face. His eyes looked far too alive with laughter for his innocent expression to be convincing. ?We?re both adults, you know,? he drawled in what she thought of as his ?well ma?am, it wasn?t nothing? voice.

?One of us is, anyway,? she replied tartly.

A grin appeared and he dipped his head low in what someone who did not know him as well as she did might think was shyness. She had come to suspect, however, that the only thing shy about Luke Skywalker was his unwillingness to be in the public eye. One-on-one, farmboy seemed to have no difficulties, she mused.

His head still bowed, he looked up at her from beneath the curtain of blond hair. He needed a haircut. Then she wondered why she cared about the state of Skywalker?s locks. Luke held out one hand, the corner of his mouth pulling up in a beguiling smile. ?Come on,? he urged quietly. ?Truce??

?I wasn?t aware that we were at war,? Mara replied primly, keeping her hands firmly at her sides though she longed to brush back the blond hair that kept falling into his face. Only so I can see what he?s really up to, she told herself.

?Me either,? he replied with a quick grin. ?I?m just saying.?

?Saying what??

?Saying we shouldn?t fight.?

?Who said we?re fighting?? Mara crossed her arms and scowled at him.

?Then what are we doing right now??

?Discussing.?

?Oh?.discussing?of course.? He crossed his arms in imitation of her stance. Casually, he flipped his hair back and out of his face. Yes, he most definitely needed a haircut. ?We seem to discuss quite often.?

?Only because you?re so stubborn,? Mara pointed out.

?I?m stubborn?? Luke asked in astonishment.

Mara gave an elegant shrug. ?You heard me.?

?I heard you,? he agreed in a low, husky voice. Mara tilted her head and studied him carefully, as always, she was very attune to changes in his mood or demeanor. There was a pleasant raspy quality to his voice now, one that made her think of all sorts of naughty things.

To his surprise, and perhaps hers as well, she leaned in, boxing him in with her arms and bringing her face close to his. She could feel the shocked exhalation of his breath as he stared at her, wide-eyed. Much better, Mara thought with satisfaction. She always enjoyed keeping Skywalker off balance.

?I think you like discussing things with me,? Mara murmured.

He quirked one brow at her. ?Oh really? And why would you think that??

She smirked at him. ?Well, for one thing, everyone around here seems to think that the suns rise and set with Luke Skywalker.? Mara gave a shrug. ?And I?m guessing that?s getting kind of boring.?

?Interesting observation,? Luke agreed huskily.

?And let?s face it, you haven?t exactly led a quiet life,? Mara continued. ?So to be relegated to the role of mentor and teacher is satisfying, but it?s not? exciting.?

He pondered this for a moment. ?Go on.?

?So while everyone around you is bowing here and scraping there-?

?There?s no scraping involved,? Luke interjected.

?Bowing then,? Mara dismissed his words. ?You know what I mean. You?re surrounded by all of this?? She waved her hand. ?Adoration, if you will, and it gets to be a bit stale after a while. For a man like you, that is.?

?You sound like you think know me pretty well,? Luke said softly. Then his eyes flashed down to her lips.

And what was she supposed to make of that?

?I?m just saying that you need someone like me around, someone who challenges you, who doesn?t take every word you utter as being sacred because the great Luk

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Dearest Vadey: You did it again... and I'm so so so so so glad!!
    [face_laugh]
    *melts into goo*
    [face_love]
    [face_love]
    [face_love]

3. MiralukaJedi

MiralukaJedi Jedi Knight star 4

May 15, 2008
    Very nice. Great use of the quote and response to the challenge.

4. LittleMissNightsaber

LittleMissNightsaber Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2009
    That was a L/M worth reading.

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Utterly delightful - worth venturing in Beyond for.

Very entertaining, Kim. Bravo.

6. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    I think I need to take a cold shower after reading that! o_O

As always, a great interpretation of the quote. Most people just used their quote straightforward. You had to put some meaning into it and make us think! :eek: How dare you. [face_mischief]

She had come to suspect, however, that the only thing shy about Luke Skywalker was his unwillingness to be in the public eye. One-on-one, farmboy seemed to have no difficulties, she mused.

This is something that has irked me about profic in the EU. Everyone portrays Luke after ROTJ as this calm, patient, and wise Jedi, when deep down he is still the adventurous and energetic farm boy from Tatooine. Thanks for bringing that out in Luke, and I intend to bring some of that in my work with Luke as well.

7. celera

celera Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002
    While I think of Luke as someone who is usually introverted or shy, I agree that with madman that it's important to show his wild side. This is someone who liked to race through Beggar's Canyon as a teenager. It was a nice twist to say Luke behaving coyly and I don't see that in a lot of fanfic (or profic for that matter).

8. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Lovely mushy Luke and Mara, reflecting Han and Leia.

Another one of your delightful vignettes=D=

9. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    It's been a yucky day and I needed that warm fuzzy. [face_love]

=D=

[:D]

10. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Ah, wonderful, sweet mush!

[face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

I loved the banter followed buy that sexy kiss

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Great response to the challenge

=D= =D= =D= =D=

11. GuNgAnFaN3090

GuNgAnFaN3090 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 16, 2008
    Great challenge response! Loved the Luke and Mara banter. And awesome use of the quote. Great work!

=D= =D= =D= =D=

12. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Excellent dialogue!!! Nice work!!!! =D=

13. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Meesa behind! :eek:

But that just means I get to up gems like this. [face_love] Your L/M is too good, gal. Love it! :D

14. CelseteAntola

CelseteAntola TF.N Books Staff star 3 VIP

May 18, 2002
    *melts* [face_love]

=D= Great post!! Loved the different side of Luke coming through! Also worth noting, was how Mara tried to keep herself detacted by calling him "Skywalker," which quickly degenerated into "Luke." The details were awesome!

~Celeste

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.