main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You know what would be neat

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Darth_Turby, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Turby

Darth_Turby Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2004
    If we organized a similar thing to the clone wars cartoons. We had some people write out a series of shorts, not necessarily link directly, but taking place at a similar time, and then assigned them to people. You could get fifteen to twenty, 2-3 minute shorts out of it.

What do you think?

2. Tech_Krill

Tech_Krill Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    Lol, nominate yourself the organizer ;)

3. Darth_Turby

Apr 18, 2004
    If there was interest from enough people, I'd be honored to organize it. Its about time people started striving for greater things here.

I think sometimes people forget just how cool it is to be able to do the effects alot of us can do. Whenever some people see the work I do, they're amazed, and frankly much of it is on par with what is here on the boards.

This project would give alot of people direction for their fanfilms, and speaking from experience, that can sometimes be the hardest thing to get.

4. Tech_Krill

Tech_Krill Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    ...what kind of work are you referring to? 3d?

5. JoeSunrider

JoeSunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    Special effects do not make one great. Explosions? Hah! Greenscreening? Hah! A fanfilmer craves not these things.

6. Darth_Turby

Apr 18, 2004
    True, special effects do not make one great, but they have in them the potential to make one greater.

The work I was referring to includes 3d, but extendes to other things, compositing, directing, editing, the whole range. While I'm not great at everything, or spectacular at anything, I would say I was diverse.

But that is niether here nor there. We all have in us the potential to be great but we need to strive for it.

7. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    I disagree.

Mediocrity is comfortable.

8. JoeSunrider

JoeSunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    I wasn't meaning to sound rude or anything, I just felt like paraphrasing Yoda. I'd like to see this project happen but feel sorry for the poor soul who has to organize it.

9. Darth_Turby

Apr 18, 2004
    You disagree.... you disagree.... at what point did I allude that mediocrity was uncomforable. Was when I said 'mediocrity was like having sex in the back of a volkswagon'?

Mediocrity is very, very comfortable, but so is sitting on a sofa watching seinfeld re-runs and letting your life pass you by while nothing is gained.

Never the less back to the idea of a series.

p.s. I love seinfeld.

10. chewxy

chewxy Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2004
    hrm... To make the space fight scene (anakin versus droid fighter) would be hell... how many things are you gonna render? Particle effect?

11. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    ...What are you talking about?

12. Rick_Zarber

Rick_Zarber Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2004
    I think they're talking about actually remaking Clone Wars.

On a more lucid note, I'd be happy to write for this series, since I don't have any chance of making anything other than my LotR Parody anytime soon. I'd love to see someone adapt my work, too. I've never had that done before, and I think it'd be a cool experience.

And if they're just little shorts, it's not like it'd be a huge commitment.

I'm really liking this idea now... So, what would might the concept be? Lots of stuff to decide upon, oh appointed organizer.

13. AdmiralMowk

AdmiralMowk Jedi Master star 2

Jan 13, 2002
    So are we talking a series of live-action shorts here, or a Flash-animated series? Or maybe it could be an anthology, like "The Animatrix." Hey, maybe the series could revolve around a group of people who are the first to discover the Force. Just an idea though.

Edit: Oh and I also would love to write for this series. Peace!

14. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    Pfft! You're just whoring out your writing skills to EVERYONE, aren't you?

:p

15. AdmiralMowk

Jan 13, 2002
    Straight up Funk-E! I'd whore out all my skills if needed. I'm a bigger whore than Elton John, and I haven't even hit Vegas yet. Plus, Darth_Turby happens to be a close, personal friend of mine. Basically, I want to sharpen my skillz, empahsis on "z," because it's the only way to get better.

16. Cryptite_

Cryptite_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2004
    I'd offer my 3d skills if this thing actually got going. I'm only skeptical though considering all the other similar threads... oh well; hope this comes through!

17. Darth_Turby

Apr 18, 2004
    If enough people are interested, I'll get started organizing it. We'll talk about a time period and hold a vote on the major things, and then have certain people write out the stories and the either themselves or others can make them.

I don't know, ten people interested might make it worthwhile.

And I did imagine it being all types, animated, live action, even figure movies. The more mix the better.

18. starbuccaneer

starbuccaneer Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2004
    I'd be interested. I'm a traditional animator (not flash or 3d as of yet), and 2-3 minutes is about the right length for a small animated project.

19. Rick_Zarber

Rick_Zarber Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2004
    Ah, to see a tradionaly animated SW fan film: it'd be worth it right there.

Okay, here's a question for this opus: Will all the stories be interconnected? Or just share theme and/or time period? One thing that'd be hard would be using the same characters, if many people are making the movies, so that might not be a good idea. Anyways, just tryin' to start off the brainstorming.

20. DMPjedi

DMPjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2003
    Hey, maybe the series could revolve around a group of people who are the first to discover the Force. Just an idea though.

That could tie in with a fan film series I'm currently writing and hope to pull off in a couple years. It's about 10-15 episodes taking place on earth about 30 years from now where lightsabers are invented and an elite police force known as "Jedi" named after Star Wars in the story is started. The Jedi are trained to the extent that they can see exactly where a criminal is aiming at a glance and deflect the bullet. Yeah, a bit unrealistic but it's a fan film :D Anywho, some Jedi start to expierence involuntary reflexes and are then tested ;) and switched to an elite elite force of force users [face_laugh] (that was a funny sentence). These force users are completely secret to everyone but the force users and the higher ranked non force users of the Jedi Force. There's also a group who break away and dub themselves-yeah-the Sith :p So it's a series of the Jedi rising up but on earth. Pretty much us beginning to catch up with the Star Wars universe.
    The story itself follows the journy of one Kyle Anderson who loses his brother to the Sith and becomes a Jedi "Officer" and later a force user and gets revenge on the Sith leader who killed his brother. It also involves a couple of his friends and the difficulty and mystery of resisting the dark side, and a slight love story ;)

So what I'm getting to is what AdmiralMowk mentioned above...this series you guys talk of could be kindof a prequel to my series. You could show that group of elite elite Jedi first discovering the force. These guys already exsist in my series and you only see the discovery of the force in one person and then he is taught part way through. It'd be cool to see those first few people figuring everything out by themselves. That's something I couldn't think up.

Just a thought :D
    -Nathaniel

21. AdmiralMowk

Jan 13, 2002
    I agree about using the same characters being a problem, but there is nothing that says others can't be referred to. I think having continuity between these would rock.

It would also be possible fore the same group of people to do multiple ones. In the writing process most of this would be decided.

But anything is possible, if one group did a live action movie of one character but another group did an animated movie but used the first groups voice acting, I'm just brainstorming here but we could pull it off. We have to play off each others strengths.

As far as the script, I think that people should submit their ideas and then one person goes through and writes like a master script and then people get to choose which ones they want to do, because let's face it, only each person knows what they have availabe in way of software and actors to make a movie.

And then the 'directors' would decide on which format to make their movies and then after a certain period of a couple of months they're all submitted and then we do it all over again.

I suggest we implement the SW Fan Film Constitution.~~
    (didn't we all find that thread immensely fun?)

EDIT: Okay, this is very important. This post is actually written by Darth_Turby. I was chilling at his domicile today, and had signed on to see if I had any PM's, and then, like the idiot I am, forgot to sign out, so he mistakenly made this post under my name. So, take it from the REAL AdmiralMowk: this is not me, but Darth_Turby. Thank you for understanding.

Peace!

22. DMPjedi

DMPjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2003
    Well, you got my submission :p

I don't think I'd want/be able to do one. I've got my own projects but you got my idea for story based off yours Mowk.

23. SIUEA_DOOGUAS

SIUEA_DOOGUAS Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2004
    this could be cool!
    -blueworlds

24. starbuccaneer

starbuccaneer Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2004
    It would really pull the series together to reference other characters/events that have gone on, to make the effort and drop in some continuity.

As for format, one option is something along the lines of the "Tales From" books. If you haven't read them, they're short stories about the characters from the Mos Eisley Cantina, or Jabba's Palace, or the bounty hunters. The stories vary in style and tone, but there's contact between the characters (although it's not necessarily 'on screen'.

25. Covax

Covax Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2003
    I'd get behind this project if it had nothing to do with Star Wars. At all. There are pleanty of other untapped continuites out there.

If it's just got to be Star Wars it should (my opinion, not a decree) be set sometime other than the Clone Wars because more than half the SW fanfilms are set between the Ep II and Ep IV. There's tons of other stuff you can do, like New Jedi Order, the Mandalorian War or the original Jedi/Sith schism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.