main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You know what would be neat

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Darth_Turby, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Cletus

Darth_Cletus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2001
  2. Darth_Turby

Darth_Turby Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2004
    No one ever said it had to be during the clone wars, I was just citing that series as an example.

Here's what I suggest, anyone who is interest in participating in any respect, whether it be story, effects, concepts drawings, or anything PM me, with any ideas you have at all. These could include settings, literally anything.

Then sometime in the next day or so, so everyone gets a chance to look at this, I'll post a list of everyone who wants to be involved. Then we'll begin the process of discussing and narrowing down the information until we have an agreed upon outline. Then people can volunteer to write it, and then we'll move on from there.

Anyone watch 'The Apprentice', we can assign Project Managers for each one, and they can pick out concept designers and work on each one themselves.

I'm really pleased with overall positive response this has been getting. I'm really looking forward to this working.

3. Covax

Covax Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2003
    How's this for an idea then:

The thing that binds all the stories togeather is a Holocron. The project would be presented in such a way (in the web-page or whatever) as if we're veiwing the various stories contaned within, adventures of the people who've contributed to it. Now, the neat thing about holocrons is that often (in the comics anyways) thier used as a vehicle for 'speeking though time' i.e. to have visions of the future or messages from the past.

If folks can agree on a design for the holocron you can have a universal image (like this one for the Lament Configuration of Hellraiser fame) for folks to print out and/or model.

4. Darth_Turby

Apr 18, 2004
    That's really cool. Now I know a little bit about the lore of Holocrons, but not a large amount. Would it ever be possible that a Holocron would have infor that wasn't directly related to a Jedi, like maybe a smuggler's tale where a Jedi wasn't even mention?

5. Darth_Cletus

Jul 10, 2001
    I think Jedi should definitely be characters in at least a couple of the shorts, but it would be somewhat refreshing to see a few things bereft of Jedi.

6. Darth_Turby

Apr 18, 2004
    Me too, but I do think that the Holocron is a terrific device for telling a series like this.

7. Darth_Cletus

Jul 10, 2001
    Do I sense a "21 Short Stories" Simpsons flava'?

8. Darth_Turby

Apr 18, 2004
    holocron

I think this would be a neat, [basic]very basic [/b]idea for how the holocron would function.

Who else out there has any ideas?

9. Covax

Apr 30, 2003
    Would it ever be possible that a Holocron would have infor that wasn't directly related to a Jedi, like maybe a smuggler's tale where a Jedi wasn't even mention?
    For this case I'd say yea. I mean, I don't know much about holocrons (a quick net search could fix that...) but if I desinged a holocron it'd be in such a way that only an advanced force user would be able to activate it. It'd be a puzzle box on the inside that would need delicate telekenisis to activate. (This is my security training here...)

Still, for the purpose of this story I'd avoid that, or do it in such a way that the mechanizm is 'broken' (that could be a story...) and records and displays stuff at random (read: Will of the Force).

Aslo, I don't think it would be outright obvious if the Holocron is an instrument of Light or Dark.

10. AdmiralMowk

AdmiralMowk Jedi Master star 2

Jan 13, 2002
    First things first: this is the REAL AdmiralMowk, not Darth_Turby signed in on my name by accident. Now that that is out of the way...

I think a cool idea would be to tell stories of both sides of the Force. It would be interesting to have a story about, say, a Dark Jedi hunting down his former master. That way, you could a cool anti-hero thing. And some stories devoid of Jedi would be great, because lets face facts, there are just normal dudes in the Star Wars universe.

11. starbuccaneer

starbuccaneer Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2004
    Yeah, I'd like to see some without Jedi - not as the main character, anyhow.

12. Rick_Zarber

Rick_Zarber Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2004
    I'm really liking this holocron idea. Since holocrons basically just contain stories submitted by Jedi for keeping, I don't see why there wouldn't be all kinds of stories in there, Jedi related or not. I don't think there'd be any need to explain why a story was there. For continuity, we could even theoretically have the same Jedi Master "telling" the stories.

And that would be a great title for the series, too. Star Wars: Holocron.

13. Darth_Turby

Apr 18, 2004
    I had an idea, if we decide to stick with the holocron, to have every movie start with a holocron floating in darkness. Then it begins to open and a light eminates from it and the screen goes white and the movie starts.

If this were the case, I think it would be best if the movie just started with a very short title and credit sequence, under 15 seconds. I just don't think an openingn crawl would work.

But this is just a thought. What do you guys think?

14. starbuccaneer

Apr 13, 2004
    That makes sense. Valuable time that could be used for the story would be eaten up by an opening crawl; if something needed explanation that badly, a voice-over would probably work just as well. You probably want to keep it simple enough that a huge explanation isn't necessary - 3 minutes isn't enough time to tell a terribly complicated story, but it's perfect for telling a good simple one.

15. Rick_Zarber

Rick_Zarber Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2004
    I agree. And hey, if we wanted to, we could use the same opening graphics for every one, just let those involved have access to a full-quality version.

I'm getting excited about this now.

EDIT: I'm leaving school in two days, and that will severely limit my internet time from now on. However, I'll try to check in at least every other day, so still count me in on this!

16. DarthDodobird

DarthDodobird Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 26, 2003
    If you think they would work, I would love to help with the effects! (check sig)

17. Tech_Krill

Tech_Krill Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    Hah, this actually sounds like a good idea...............what am I saying!?

If it's just 3 minute episodes, I'm so in!

PMs will be flying... ;)

18. AdmiralMowk

Jan 13, 2002
    Maybe we could do a short where a band is trying to play ina cantina, but they keep being interrupted by brawlers, drunkards and the like. I think that could be a pretty short. And if it goes along with the old jedi dude reminiscing through his holocron, it could be from his point of view, one of his happier memories.

Just a thought.

Peace!

PS - The new Prince album is funky as all getout!

19. Covax

Apr 30, 2003
    If this were the case, I think it would be best if the movie just started with a very short title and credit sequence, under 15 seconds. I just don't think an openingn crawl would work.
    Yea, something fast like the Clone Wars intro. We can have:
    - CGI Holocron floating in the dark

- A light issues from it and we see it form the words Star Wars: Holocron in white letters, then flood/flash to white.

- A standard title card with the name of the episode and the name of the primary creators (no "based upon idea by" until the end credits). Same font used for each one.
    To replace an opeing crawl a short (standard ?) voice over like in The Outer Limits would be fine. That'd be cool last episode: finding out who The Voice is.

Also, just for the record, the Holocron does not have to be the McGuffin (the thing everyone is after) for each episode but it should be somehwere in there. General Thrawn's art collection, Sarlac gut, Sith Temple of Really Bad Smells, just make sure it's somehwere.

That would make a great drinking game: spot the Holocron, take a shot.

20. Darth_Turby

Apr 18, 2004
    Admiral Mowk had a great suggestion when he said that we should tell a few stories from the bad guy perspective. Not necesarily glorifiying him, or making him the rogueish good guy like in Jango (no offense, I like Jango) but be truthful to the character.

Diversity is the name of the game here folks.

I like the idea of spot the holocron, it doesn't have to be centerstage, but present is nice.

Is it possible for a holocron to have any kind of AI? In the sense that it could record what it wanted, so there doesn't have to be anyone activating it. Just thoughts.

EDIT:

If anyone has any ideas in script of picture form, they can email it to me and I'll try to keep everything together and post it here all at once.

21. AdmiralMowk

Jan 13, 2002
    Maybe this whole thing could be like that A&E series, which I believe was called "The Gun." It followed the lives of people who came in contact with a singular gun, throughout history I believe. Maybe "The Littlest Hobo" would be a better comparison. The Holocron comes into the possession of someone new each episode, and we see how it may or may not affect their lives.

22. Darth_Turby

Apr 18, 2004
    I like that, but maybe we could space them out a bit, so between each episode is a few years, it might be difficult organizing between each one in a way in which the last would end exactly where the next begins. If that makes sense, it was by accident.

EDIT:

Should we make a limit, or at least a general rule as to how long each should be, I mean I know the stories will vary, but what do you guys think?

23. Covax

Apr 30, 2003
    I think around 5 minutes would be fine. More than that you can space it out like the multi-part Clone Wars eps or the The Second Renassance in Animatrix. It would help people with pacing, not enough time for folks to be bored.
    If anyone has any ideas in script of picture form
    What do you mean by this exactly? I can come up with episode outlines in my sleep, doesn't mean anyone will... or even should... limit themselves to that.

If anyone needs inspiratiomn check out a few Broken Saints episodes to see what's possible.

Edit:You know what would be cool... not particularly likely but still cool: seeing the occasional character from previous fanfilms. A quiet moment with Soontar from Reciprocity, Calaval from Question of Faith explaining his take on is ?fall to the dark side?, whatever happened to Comander Dinn from Rogue... basically stuff that would have wanted to say or highlight about these characters that never got to make it into the original films.

24. starbuccaneer

Apr 13, 2004
    The shorts ought to have a time limit, but anything under that is ok. I'm not prepared to commit to animating a five minute short... not without a two minute opening crawl, that is.

~~ on the crawl bit.

25. Darth_Turby

Apr 18, 2004
    I agree, I wouldn't want a minimum requirement put on any of these, well, at least a minute. But I was just concerned that someone who could do a good 3-4 minuted video, would be intimidated by someone who wnated to do a half hour long video.

Should it be that big a range, or should we just wait for the stories to get written before we all decide?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.