main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD You know what's good? Version 2.0

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by casual-jedi, Feb 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    I think you're on to something there

2. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    Let me come in with an addendum if I may Marv...
    Good wine is good, wine-in-a-box, not so much.:p

Anybody else hear about what Penfolds are gonna do to the Grange???

Apparently they're gonna give it a screw-top...8-}

I personally think it's just screwy for a $400 bottle of wine not to have a cork.
    Maybe I'm just a traditionalist, I was thinking of growing a big black moustache.

3. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    I'm outraged for the wine lovers amongst us!

YKWG?

Having Tuesdays off. You work a whole Monday and then a day off..nice :) Shame about the 3 days in a row after it though. Hugs for everyone having to work today. Haha.

;)

4. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    hee hee Iget tuesdays off 2

I [face_love] tuesdays!

5. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Getting applauded for good work done and then getting a raise :D Oh yeah I'm now an above average earner :p

6. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    When the move the recycle bins that are blocking the fire exit because there's an audit today and there has to be the appearance of caring whether we're all going to burn and die in the event of a fire. I mean, the bins will be back tomorrow, putting my life in peril, but for one day I'll be ok. Not that fires are a common occurance or anything.

Also good was the email sent around by the office manager chastising us all for having dirty cups and mugs on our desks that she had to tidy up.

7. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    That is a sign the boss isnt busy enough. Or maybe it means the staff are so well behaved there is nothing else to complain about.

Reminded me of a memo sent to our staff last year at woolies, the message from the boss that week was telling us to say good bye to the supervisor at the end of our shift so they know we went home. And so they dont feel lonely.

8. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    YKWG?

ANZ call centre staff. I mean, I might be biased, cos they just let me off the hook for an overlimit fee on my visa (for the second time, actually), but on top of that, they don't talk to you like your scum, like it's their own personal money that you're trying to con them out of. Unlike some other banks I've dealt with *cough*commonwealth*cough*suncorp*cough*.

Also good is when you ask to speak to their supervisor and tell the supervisor just how good they were, and that while you know you were in the wrong you are so very thankful that they could help you out, and they say thank you cos they almost never get complimentary calls. Everyone is happy.

Also good is when they agree to raise your limit to make sure it doesn't happen again cos one thing is for sure and that is that they absolutely never letting you off the hook again.

I really can't blame them for that.

9. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    I'd have to agree with the bravos for ANZ call centre staff. It's also good when people take the time to thank me for helping them out in my role as Outpatients problem solver. Always nice to get a really sincere thanks.

Also good. Our hot water system had a problem the other day and we rang Energex ( or whatever they're called now ) to check that there wasn't a power fault to it. This was at 730 pmish. A guy was there by 830, said yeah they had a faulty connection, replaced it and was on his way in 10 minutes. Better service than I expected, and seeing as I was assuming we'd need a WHOLE NEW system, a free connection thingy was so nice :)

10. EnempE

EnempE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2005
    YKWG?

Screw tops on wind bottles !

Better seal, they don't dry out or go off, you never get cork in the wine and you can re seal a bottle. Meaning that if you are the only wine dinker you can have just one glass with your meal without having to waste the taste of your favourite sangiovese on your alchohol dulled tastebuds.

btw I haven't has a drink in 3 weeks, and have had no more than 2 drinks a week since january.
    being a good gung fu boy.

11. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    (no wonder I'm struggling...)

12. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    Now I'm no big wind dinker...:p
    but in my estimation, people who tend to buy the Grange,
    will either save it for a special occasion(where it would most probably be consumed in one sitting),
    or, be of such wealth that a little wasted wine would be the least of their worries.

To a lot of wine lovers, the cork is an essential part of the experience.
    At least that's what the cellar-dude from work tells me.

13. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Call me a country bumpkin, but is there actually any difference in wine with a cork and wine with a screw top? I mean, a cork's traditional and all, sure, but is there any actual benificial reason to having it? Screw tops seem more practical, and you don't get the risk of the wine being corked and stuff.

*Waits to be shown his ignorance in the ways of wine...*

14. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    But that's exactly it BBN, it is all about tradition... And yes, the main reason to use a screwtop would be for the elimination of 'cork-taint'(going off). However, if you get high quality cork, the occurances of cork-taint are quite rare. Very few of the top European wine manufacturers have gone to screwtops, because they realise that at the heart of wine culture, is generations of tradition and ettiquette. Wine production, transportation and storage have all been shaped by of the use of the cork... and I mean corkscrews are way cool anyways dude.

My point is, on the cheaper vintages, screw your heart out...8-}
    But at the higher end, where it's all about extravangance, and indulgence,
    I prefer to see a vestige to history and tradition.

Edit:-
    P.S - Screwtops are more traditionally associated with Brandy, fortified and spirit-wines.

[//Hambo the wine expert, courtesy of John, the cellar-man at work]

15. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    CJ is right. While screw tops are infinitely more practical, pulling the cork is a ritual.

I'm all for screw tops on my sub-$15 wine (which, let's face it, is most of it) but if I'm buying a good bottle to share with good company I want a cork.

16. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    I dont mind screw tops on those little bottles. they make people think i am actually drinking beer thus making me look more manly

17. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    YKWG?

Thick cut toast with double vegemite from Hudsons.

We're talking 2 inches thick. It's so thick it goes brown on the outside and doesn't even cook on the inside. I have to squish it a bit just to get it in my mouth. And double vegemite means it burns the top of the my mouth. Fantasmalicious.

18. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    I can second Casual's recommendation of the sSs BBQ Barn.

I can see some of us taking the challenge, and many of those failing miserably. The food was fantastic, the service great.

My main was "the Best of Both Worlds"... marinated ribs with a 200g steak on top of them. =P~
    When it comes to BBQ Barns, trust in the Casual One.

19. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    With all this Wine talk, I thought I'd add my 2c.

Corks all the way. But I'm here to beat the Spirits drum. Nothing like taking your fave bottle (in my case atm, Jägermeister) out of the freezer, half a centimetre of frosted ice that you always have to leave warm fingerprints in down to the glass.

With Lozza and IC only online sporadically, I thought I'd chime in for the Spiriters. :)

20. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    Maybe that explains why they ARE online sporadically? :p

21. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    YKWG?

I got my Firefly box set today after I loaned it to a friends in November w0000t!!!!

22. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    OI! I enjoy a highly spirited evening as much as anyone else... [face_mischief]

YKWG? A nip of Bushmill's Malt on the rocks in front of a peat fire on a cold night... just keep the absinthe locked up. That scene is too good to be spoiled by swirling pretty colours.

23. EnempE

EnempE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2005
    YKWG?

Sunday afternoon delight.

'nuff said.

24. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    Sky Rockets In flight...
    Weeeeauuuuuww!!!

//falsetto

25. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    You know what's good?

Sarah Lee Bundaberg Rum n Raisin Ice Cream.
    Kahlua Cream Cake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.