main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD You know what's good? Version 2.0

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by casual-jedi, Feb 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    WG:

Waking up without the hangover I was expecting :)

..and a few hours taking photos in the valley. Really is a most loved way of mine to spend an afternoon. Kinda funny having drunks and strangers look at you and ask where you're from, cause you're walking around with a camera.

Grilled Burgers and chips are really good too!

2. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    God bless America.

3. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    You know what's good?

Movies about innocence, love, naivety, feel-goodness (with a touch of humour), about cute little robots.

4. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    Funny you should mention that. There's another movie with those themes coming out later this year. You might like that one too. It's just a shame you'll have to wait until September to find out, because watching bootleg copies is Wrong.

5. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Very much so - and I long to give money to a Cinema (and therefore studio and people who deserve $$ for their work) to see the one of which you speak. I would have loved to have done it the same day (week - even month!) it came out in the US...

6. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Patience is its own reward ;)

7. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Wg. today -

my latest acquisition arrived.

[image=http://www.toyvault.com/cthulhu/Cthulhu%20Medium%20-%20Large.jpg]

It's sitting on my desk currently - I actually find it a little unsettling. [face_worried]

8. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    You know what's good?

Competition.

Internode just UPPED my quota from 25gb/month to 40gb/month for no other reason than the market forces (and Node's desire I guess to be amongst the best).

Kahlan, YouTube yourself out sweetie.

9. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    How did you get so lucky? My quota hasn't been upgraded :(

10. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    YKWG?

Finally took the plunge and have bought five cubic meters of soil for the back garden bed. So maybe by next wednesday it'll all be in and just waiting for the mulch. We weren't going to do it until we discovered last weekend that half our garden was actually composed of rock (dodgy fill) but actually I think it's going to work out for the best (the free food/drink offer is still on if you want to come perve at our house and give us a hand).

Kithera

11. RoGuE_StreaK

RoGuE_StreaK Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2005
    OT, Hey Kit how much was the soil, I might need about that much at some stage (lots of pebbly stuff in our back lawn, probably bad fill as well)

12. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    If you've got to buy soil I'd go Centenary Landscape. They basically will give you ideas on what you need to do, even if you aren't buying. We got tradesoil and it was about $330, which includes two bags of lime, and delievery to our house (at 6.30 tomorrow morning) which is pretty cool.

Kithera

13. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Lozza...are you on 1.5mbit?

Go here for info.

14. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    YKWG?

Whilst it's not going to be official for at least another month now, I thought I'd share our good news with you!

I'm in all likelihood moving BACK TO BRISBANE!!! yes, I am coming back. I'll be looking at coming back in time to start TAFE, so around February. There is a downside to all this, but I'll post that in the YKWS thread I think....

Anywho, we won't know for another month or so, but providing his next interview goes well and he passes the physical/medical/psych testing, Matt will be joining the Military! He's so excited as it's something he's been wanting to do for as long as I've known him. He really wants to do something with his life, and for him, it's fighting for his country. Whilst I'm absolutely **** scared at the probability that he's going to be posted overseas in war zones (and given his chosen field to work in, yes it is 99.9% that he will be posted overseas for months at a time, and will be in fighting zones) I love him, and as such I will support him in whatever he chooses to do. I'm honestly just happy that he's found something that he's passionate about and will make him happy. So this is a YKWG for him too :D

We'll know after his next round of intervies/testing whether he's accepted, and then he'll do a final round of medical testing just to be sure he's in peak condition. Then he'll be off to basic for 80 days, then off to training in Victoria, and finally off to his base of operations in Qld. Depending how long it all takes, I might move back earlier than Matt as I want to be back in time to start my TAFE studies.

But I'm very excited about the prospect! I've missed you all so much! It's one of the reasons I've not been posting very much, because every time I come to these forums I have a bit of a teary at all the things I'm missing out on. Yes we have friends here, but they're just can't replace the ones we had in Brissie.

WAG?

We'll be soon moving out of this hellhole! (as in moving out of Matt's mum's place and into our own place before the move back to QLD). I'm not going to go into the specifics of why this place is so bad, but um, well those who know what's been going on will understand. If I never see her again in my life it will be too soon.... *sigh* But yay! New place!! My own sewing room!! YAY!! Oh and we'll be adopting a kitty for a while :p

15. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Sounds good LC. Same feelings as you about what your boy wants to do with his life, but yeah, it would make him happy, and that's good.

Hope everything works out as you guys want it to. :)

16. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
  17. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    The occasional creative burst I get that invigorates me and makes me want to see the world in new ways. Often through photography..

These photos are taken on an afternoon in the valley a few weeks ago, and mucked around with in photoshop today, which for me is half the fun.

walking through the valley

18. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    Thanks for sharing. I've really enjoyed everything I've seen of your photography, and that focus on the smallest details. At the risk of sounding all pretentious 'n' stuff, it's exactly what the medium should be: a take on life you wouldn't otherwise appreciate.

YKWAG?
    -Dinner with friends watching a total hour of 80s and 90s cartoon openings.
    -The movie Layer Cake.
    -Girlfriends with cute fringes. Nobody in particular. Just, you know, in general.

19. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Hey Thanks HB. Your creative side has always greatly added to my seeing the world in a different way too :)

WG:

[image=http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/03Hddrg2ao3eQ/610x.jpg]

Sport is a great thing isn't it ;)

20. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    WG:

Target is having a PJ sale. Chermside, back wall of womens Pj section. Got heaps of tops and bottoms for about 4 dollars each, and upcoming pressies for Mum and Niece. I do LOVE my jarmies. Mix of summer and winter too.

That's WEIG: Yes I got let out from the pox house for a few hours, and managed to spend money on jarmies :)

21. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Wg. Trip to Melbourne. Absolutely stuffed by the end of it, but it was a bunch of fun. General concensus was that it was a relatively successful trip.

-- Saw "Wicked!" - was good overall.

-- Bought "Watchmen," "Quiver" (Green Arrow), and an Empire mag with "Watchmen" on the cover. Shiny. Also have a very nice hat now.

-- Ate dinner at some nice places. "The Spaghetti Tree" and a very nice little Irish Pub - "Flannigan's"? The girl serving us at the pub was lovely.

-- I got photos of the treadle machine (old sewing machines) tables at "The Spaghetti Tree" - something I forgot to do last year.

Fun times :)

22. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Yes, it was good. Might plan flights a bit differently though next time :p

Met the most charming pair of nutters whilst duchess bought her hat. Either they were time travelers or stark raving mad.

Wicked was good, if it comes to Brisbane (and given it's relative success, and the fact that entertainment companies are starting to realise that Brisbane isn't a cultural backwater, there's a good chance) I recommend seeing it.

Also bought comics; much love for Tim Sale and Jeph Loeb with their Batman - Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Haunter Knight and Superman For All Seasons. That last is my favourite Superman comic, if only for the scene where Clark Kent realises what he's capable of in the middle of a tornado. Dark Victory would also make a perfect basis for a third Nolan and Bale Batman film.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

23. Lolly_Tolly

Lolly_Tolly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2008
    WG: I passed my learner's test! :D

24. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    I picked up my guitar today for the first time in many moons.

I should explain that while I haven't been actively playing for a good six years now, the instrument stretches far back into my youth. There is, and always will be, a fundamental part of my mind labelled "guitarist". It affects the way I think, the way I listen to music, the way my bones have developed (the upper third of my left ring finger can only bend backwards, not forwards), and hell, it's why I still consider The Living End relevant and worthwhile after ten years of them recycling the same vaguely rebellious tennage anthem.

Which is why, when I found out today that my fingers still remembered The Rolling Stones' Brown Sugar, I really felt like I'd rediscovered a passion. Everything is new and exciting again. I expect to expect much of the immediate future next to the stereo, trying (and, in the best of spirits, failing) to relearn the complete back catalogue of Radiohead.

Will you permit me to end this post with "I am guitarist, hear me roar" if I promise to never, ever say it again?

25. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    No, I demand you say it at every opportune juncture. Like "No time for love, Doctor Jones!"

So you can play guitar? That's awesome. Where'd you learn?

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.