main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD You know you are getting old when...

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Lozza, Jul 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Someone said to me the other day, that they couldn't imagine life without their mobile phone, or all the gadgets on it. It got me thinking. I usually say that I can't live without my computer, others can't live without their gaming consoles... But mention when things weren't as good as they are now and you get called OLD. So for all those people who can remember when the technology we take for granted was young, speak up and share your memories!

You know you are getting old when:

1) You remember analogue mobiles - or when mobiles didn't exist!
    2) You remember when manga didn't have such a fancy name and (for anyone older than 10) simply wasn't cool.
    3) You remember your first computer - and it wasn't a pentium. Mine was a total peripheral, IMB 833 chipset (I THINK!) 4 bit colour...
    4) You remember when computers didn't use graphics OR audio cards.
    5) You remember your first graphics card, mine was a Diamond - I think they were a part of Silicon Graphics or whatever it was before it became Si...
    6) You remember when Apple was Apple... With a green and black screen and LOGO...
    7) You remember learning that sounds were frequencies, and you know the c-major scale (single octive from middle c) in MHz to the nearest unit, because that was all that LOGO was capable of processing.
    8) You remember life without Windows! DOS
    9) You remember 16 bit colour, 8 bit colour, or heavens forbid, 4 bit colour!
    10) You remember Sonic the Hedgehog and have played it on an original Sega system.

2. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    I know I'm old because I remember

1) When you had to programme a computer to play a game!
    2) When Cd's came out and I didn't own a player til I was 17.
    3) my fist computer which was a 386 and I paid 1500 dollars for it
    4) talking on walkie talkies and imagining being able to talk on carry around phones
    5) my sister gettting a satellite dish when I was around 14, and thinking that Austar was the be all and end all.
    6) actually using the card system to find books my first year of uni, til I learnt the basics of puter searching :)

3. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    I know I'm old cause when asked what my age is and after telling them people say... "Wow, you're old." So um, I must be o_O

4. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    LOL, I had the card system up until grade 10... And I was suppose to be at a posh private school.

5. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    You know you're old when you can remember owning a Beta Video recorder and thinking it was the Bees Knees, comes with a double hit that one when you younger types say, "What's a Beta Video?"

Oh the humanity!

6. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    I know what Beta video is! :p We had an old player when I was a kid.

7. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    I still have a Beta VCR... somewhere.

8. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    I still remember my excitement about owning a Super Nintendo (about the same time Super Mario Bros came out as a movie). Some of those old capcom games still kick ass. :D

9. RoGuE_StreaK

RoGuE_StreaK Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2005
    when... you remember a time when a commodore 64 was the ultimate gaming computer.

10. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Bah! I was around when there were no personal computers, in fact the only computers that did exist were those that took up an entire floor of a building.

11. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    I'm annoyed my mother sold the old Commodore 64 for $10 2 years ago. It may have become valuable or something in 20 years...

This said, there's some weird items that become valuable later on, and some that just don't when they should. *shrug*

12. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Bugger huh [face_tired]

13. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    ...you fill out the medical section of your new gym membership form and have to confess to back, knee, hip, shoulder and neck pain, and no one bats an eye.

14. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    Better yet: The Atari 2600 and 7600!

I feel old Because I can remember when 'Self Service' Stations came to Australia.

15. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    That lollie bag you could get for 5c was three times bigger than what you can get for a $1 these days... I mean, wow!!! It was huge!

16. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    No dude, you hands were just A LOT smaller

17. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Quiet you!

18. EnempE

EnempE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2005
    I am experienced at living because I remember

a) texas instruments TRS-80 gaming console
    b) the skills of the catridge blow and slam technique required to boot a NES (yes NES)
    c) when neo geo was a console you dreamed about
    d) bubble bobble.
    e) when hercules was a display mode
    f) spending a day programming BASIC code into the 64 out of the book, just to have the program not work.
    g) booting from a 5-1/2 floppy disk.
    h) amiga computers. say no more
    i) when a portable computer involved a Macpac or other such bag with carry straps.
    j) street fighter, not street fighter 2
    k) BBS and Cloud 9
    l) kermit is a protocol
    m) CD's in caddies
    n) LaserDisc
    o) xtree gold
    p) Sega Genesis
    q) robotech on tv.
    r) MS-DOS 3
    s) How much better the apple IIe was than the II
    t) when calculator watches were the coolest
    u) Carmen Sandiago

19. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    b) the skills of the catridge blow and slam technique required to boot a NES (yes NES)

Oh man, good times.

20. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    I remember Las Vegas Game Arcade on Albert Street (and how Space Invaders remained by their front door until the day they closed!)

21. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    We live in a primitive and barbaric time at the moment, from a future perspective. It is incredibly easy to die. One little car accident and you could get yourself completely own3d. Suddenly, you find your brains are splattered everywhere. I learnt this from Mr Ogrish. :D [face_worried]

22. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Want to try to stay on topic Nyder.

Ahh Las Vegas..yes when playing video games pretty much meant travelling into the city if you wanted to play anything more than pinball or Space Invaders at the pub whilst your Dad had a beer. Remember when those games with guns attached appeared at Las Vegas. That was WAY cool.

Oh and I LOVED carmen Sandiego.

I SO WANTED a calculator watch.

23. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    I found it frustrating myself, of course I only had ten minutes on it. Well didn't own a puter then and so was restricted to playing at friends ;)

24. RoGuE_StreaK

RoGuE_StreaK Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2005
    I remember doing the Rock Steady Crew rap for the yr12 kids at the back of the bus, in pre-school!

25. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    I have fond memories of playing Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago on my aunt's Apple IIe way back in the day. It didn't take long before I conned someone to get Where in Time... and Where in the USA... for the Commodore 64.

I remember when anime and manga were called Saturday morning cartoons, and I could watch some on Boris' Breakfast Club. I still have the mug from the membership kit around somewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.