main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. smuggler_vola

smuggler_vola Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2012
    You get a negative review and you go off on the reviewer explaining how they were totally wrong and there was not a single mistake in your story.

I swear I only did that twice...

2. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Oh, I'm sure!:p Although, it's not like I'm hiding, my sign-in over there is the same as it is here! And I know that you know I've reviewed part of your story over there.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  3. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    To leiamoody and others complaining of the lack of reviews: it's probably not the best way to say this, but I'm kind of relieved to see people that I know are talented are also a bit discouraged with the lack of reviews here. It really seems to be an overall trend, though it hits the non-L/M fics the hardest. I'm lucky enough to have picked up a regular reviewer and some (apparently, though who can tell?) repeat readers, but like pretty much everyone here would like more positive reinforcement. Of course, that's something that you have to take into account when writing OC fic; it's never going to be the most popular. The double curse of unfamiliar characters and the overhanging spectre of Mary Sue. I decided to write an OC fic anyway because that's the story that holds my interest as a writer. That and I have trouble finding the voice of canon characters, always worrying that I'll get them wrong. With original characters, I feel like there is more room for exploration.

pronker, Jedi_Lover and leiamoody like this.
  4. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    OC fics are tricky where reviews are concerned... we write those because we love 'em, and share 'em because it's a story to share. If someone else loves it... fantastic! And there is more room to explore, because you are introducing the audience to the character, rather than working with someone everybody knows.

...when you have to show certain things only in really broad flashback about your OC because you're writing to comply with board rules.

5. Lord_Redav

Lord_Redav Jedi Master star 1

Apr 29, 2005
    I am so guilty of that one, even though I have yet to write a real fic........

pronker likes this.
  6. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Re - lack of reviews. We had this discussion over in the 'Pet Peeves' thread, as its especially hard as we can see 'footieprints' both at FF.net and here - people stop by but don't say 'boo', and you as a writer really get the self whammy of 'Well, is it any good after all?'

I guess in the end, 'you know you're a fan fic writer if you keep writing anyway... '

I recently went on a little writing tear where I manage to 'bang out' (read as - wrote like the possessed by the characters as I became) two of which made it to the boards - the other, well as only the first and last paragraphs are 'board friendly', had to stay over at FF.Net ;)

ETA - interesting little quote from Fran Anistasio (a guy from the band 'Phish promoting his play on Sunday Morning - he likens music and its writing to food, and I absolutely agree with him...

7. smuggler_vola

Oct 13, 2012
    You spend 3 months procrastinating and about a week actually writing.

Lady_Misty and ginchy like this.
  8. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    ^ This

I'm so guilty of this it's not even funny...I'm a notorious procrastinator... :(

Lady_Misty likes this.
  9. smuggler_vola

Oct 13, 2012
    Procrastinator. Procrastinator. Me? No, I'm not procrastinating at all. *launches into a long speech about the history of procrastinating* :) Procrastinator sounds weird after you've said it a lot of times.

10. smuggler_vola

Oct 13, 2012
    ^ What happens when I post when I'm supposed to be sleeping.

11. Padawan4687

Jul 10, 2010
    [face_laugh] Get to sleep then!

12. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    You know you are a fanfic writer when after procrastinating when it comes to writing and then spending hours in this forum instead of sleeping...you finally fall asleep only to have an erotic dream about one of your Original Characters.

Not that has happened to me...I'm just saying...if that did happen...you are probably a fanfic writer. o_O

13. Padawan4687

Jul 10, 2010
    *blushes very brightly* Erm.... I am....guilty of this...but, it's very rare, thankfully... [face_blush]

14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Then you might be a fanfiction writer. :p

15. Padawan4687

Jul 10, 2010
    :D Yep! I've got more fanfics mentally then I can count!

16. smuggler_vola

Oct 13, 2012
    You daydream thousands of different situations and fics you can write, but never really get around to writing any of them.

17. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    You realize you can spend all the time you want on a story, because this sort of writing is not work and there's no deadline *pets latest story*

18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Unless you have OCD and then you are going crazy that you haven't finished the damn thing!!![face_nail_biting]

19. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Oh noes! That takes the fun right out.

20. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    It is worse when I do fan art. I sometimes get to a certain point and say, "Meh...it's good enough." I am too impatient.

21. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    A wise old artist once told me, "The hardest part about doing art is knowing when it's finished."

22. Padawan4687

Jul 10, 2010
    [face_laugh] When an awesome idea comes to mind, you spend ages fleshing it out mentally, but forget a big part of it when you finally get a chance to write it down.

pronker likes this.
  23. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Great art is never finished; it's only abandoned.

pronker likes this.
  24. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Oh a definite -like- on that one!

TrakNar likes this.
  25. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    pronker likes this.