main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Nah, we just got off topic for a bit in this thread.

2. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    When you PM the same person 3 times in a row about your own FF, before they have had a chance to respond to the first PM...

3. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    When you come back after a three year hiatus because you were backing up all your files when you 'accidentally' discovered your old stories. Then you spend the next two days reading and trying to figure out where you can start again...

4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    ... when you start bawling your eyes out from envisioning a scene (it was the high blood sugar, I swear).

... when you are so into writing that you look down at the clock and it's 1:30 already.

Space_Wolf and Admiral Volshe like this.
  5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    When your doing character sketches in your head.

Space_Wolf and Goodwood like this.
  6. JayaJagBen

JayaJagBen Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2013
    ....When you hear a song on the radio and start thinking up several different Song Fic plot lines.

Space_Wolf and Juliet316 like this.
  7. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    When you graduate from college and the first thing you write is fanfiction.

Space_Wolf and TrakNar like this.
  8. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    ... when the DIY floor replacement project gets interrupted by scene bunnies, and you 'take a break' to write them to a file before they scamper away.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
    ...you take notes when reading a new Star Wars novel because you are reading about a species you never heard before and you think it would be perfect for your next story.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    ...when you sit up all night finishing the outline for your next fic without realizing it's been all night.

11. Rau_Fang

Rau_Fang Jedi Master star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    We're on vacation for the week on the beach and we're sitting in the sand watching the ocean.

Wife: what are you thinking about?

Me: oh, nothing.

Wife: no you're thinking about your fan fiction.

Me: (sigh) yeah...

TrakNar, Space_Wolf, Goodwood and 4 others like this.
  12. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    You know you're a fanfic writer when...

...you dream of fanfics that are not yours, and they contain some of the weirdest shippings you've yet to see.

Case in point, last night, I had a dream that I was copy-editing a fanfic that had a Nute Gunray/Mara Jade ship in it.

From what little I remember, the fic was called "The New Empire," and Nute Gunray was a raging hypochondriac who wanted to hook up with Mara Jade. The plot revolved around his neurotic complaints and his attempts to impress Mara. There was a Hutt named Taffy, but her role was unknown and she was always identified as Taffy Daz Hutt.

That's all I can remember from some fic in which the prose was indecipherable, there were typos abound, and for some reason, in that dream, my mom was busily binding that fic into a book. She asked me my honest opinion on it, as I was editing it, and I responded with "bleeeeeeeeeeech."

Stupid dream. Weird ship. I kind of want this fic to exist so I can read it, though.

13. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    That reminds me of the time I saw a Mara cosplayer kneeling and carefully wrapping bandages on a Maul cosplayer's arm. It was so adorable, I now seriously ship it and would write a Maul/Mara Hurt/Comfort fic if I can get it to make any sense plot wise. So you know you're a fanfic write if cosplays inspire nonsensical plots or ships.

14. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    THIIIIIISSSSS!!!

So much this...

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    That, except my old stuff is hand-written in notebooks. It's interesting to see the progression from crap to halfway decent.

16. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when you wrote your update out, all right, but discover that you used three composition books and various scraps of paper to do it with and then have to sort through them and put them in order. (I was working graveyard during that time...)

17. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    ... when you come back from a jweeklong business trip and you want to read anything to relax, and think, hey, what's going on over on the boards, and find out that TFN thought you weren't interested in any updates, and so did not send email notifications to your watched threads. And you get very grumpy. *frowny face*

18. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    YKYAFFWW... you are listening to the local radio station and they are doing a spelling quiz. The caller, as a joke, is asked to spell R2-D2. They correctly spelled it "R2-D2" and I realize I would have spelled it Artoo Detoo. The Dejay was asked to spell Obi-Wan Kenobi and he got it wrong. [face_laugh]

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    When you see a subject line on another forum's post and you wonder how to work some version of that line into one of your fics, via the Doctor saying some form of it.

mavjade likes this.
  20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    When going for a blood test, you wonder how you could work it into a fic.

When digging out art supplies for another project, your mind goes directly to "I should write that fan comic some day, based on a fic..."

When buying art supplies, you start looking at canvas and select one for that fanfic cover art that you've been planning to paint for a year or more.

Place your bets on when that will ever see the light of day. :p

21. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    ....when you hear certain songs and automatically think of a certain OC. :p

I must have...at least five characters with at least one 'tribute' song. My character Alisha has two. :)

...when you randomly start drawing a character in the middle of a School Pep Rally.

Yeah, I did. I drew a fan character close-up, and a little caption with it. :p

22. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    When something a coworker says reminds you of a Married...With Children episode you haven't seen in years, and then once you're thinking about it, you realize it could actually make a really funny crossover fic.

pronker likes this.
  23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    When you have dialogue running through your head between two characters who've never met in canon (so far as we know), and are trying to come up with names for OC children.

Space_Wolf likes this.
  24. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    ...when you start having conversations out loud with your current crop of characters while in the shower, informing them of their futures and finding it necessary to explain your reasoning to them.

TrakNar, pronker and Juliet316 like this.
  25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    This, except since I have no stories on my table currently, it's opposing trainer reactions to why my Alakazam is scratching himself while Mega Evolved.

Seriously, Mega Evolve your Alakazam and let it idle. Right hand goes down and does... something in the crotch area.

...When you think back to stories from your Cringe and Emo Eras and think about the very few gems in that batch, then realize a recurring theme in what you consider your "decent" fics.

...I've been writing psychodrama/mindscrews since before high school. [face_plain]