Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan

star 4
    ...you buy the 9/11 Commission Report for research.
  2. Dev_Binks Jedi Knight

star 6
    *looks at VaderLVR* I feel sorry for him...

When you play a 'Rogue' game you resist the urge to turn it into a fan fiction...
  3. Klis Jedi Youngling

Whoops!! sorry... I'm Agent_Jaid... must log out of sock... must must must... [face_blush]

You take up martial arts just so you can get your fight scenes down right.

[face_blush] I'm starting in two months if mom made the phone call...

when you get up and fling yourself around the room in front of a mirror, checking that the fight moves make sense

That and you get mad when your mirror is only 3 feet long - not even half as long as you need it so you can tell if it's physically possible (and looks cool) to have your character thrown across the room and flip onto their feet...

When 'Holy flying banthas!', 'Sweet Force', and 'Kriff' are a normal part of your vocabulary.

...You mean it might not be?! :eek: And you forgot 'Sithit' and 'Emperor's Black Bones'...

When bantha, kriff, blaster, jedi, sith, Coruscant, and hyperspace don't get underlined in red on your word processor.

As well as the names of just about every planet in Cannon as well as your own... all of your OC's names.... all of your made up weapons... and all of your friend's OC's. :p

When you have more than three fanfics open in your word processor at once.

I usually have about... eh'.... 5-7? :p

Work becomes the annoyance into your writing time.

Oh TOTALLY!! Just mine is school.

You have to translate you dinner conversation after realizing the person you are talking to doesn't read the fan fics.

It's so hard to have dinner conversations now!! None of my family reads fanfiction and it feels like I'm talking to a wall!! :_|

when you hold your hairbrush, or for that matter anything else relatively cylindrical and big enough to accomodate your hands, and do the snap-hiss hummmmmmmmm and the wowwwmmmmmmm wowwwwwmmmmm as you choreograph your characters' moves.

In front of the mirror. ;)

Your default reaction to red squiggly lines is to 'Add to Dictionary'.

That and yell at the computer "HAN SOLO IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HAM SOLO!!! DIE YOU INFERNAL MACHINE!!!"

"Excuse me, where's the 'fresher?"

[face_blush] It's rather embaressing too...

Your OC is attracted to another character and you get jealous.

Eh', it's actually my friend's OC and he's attracted to another of her OC's and I want nothing more then to kill that OC so that I can keep Dev for myself... [face_love] [face_love] *happy sigh*

You get confused whether something is from an official book or whether it came from (yours or someone else's) fanfic

Ugh. Don't mention that. For a while I kept on writing in things that my beta would read and then say "But this didn't happen at all in Cannon!!" and I would say, "Yes it did!! Obi_Ew said so yesterday.... oh... wait... that was from her fanfiction..."

... you keep getting in trouble for writing on your hands 'cause inspiration hits and you can't find paper

... you have taken a pen to a library book and written notes like "Obaona fixed this mess!!" and "Obi_ew, you're a goddess!! Thank you for saving the world!!" and "DIE LEIA YOU NUT CASE!!!" in the margins

... you argue with your friends over whose OC would come out on top in a fist-fight

4. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    You get confused whether something is from an official book or whether it came from (yours or someone else's) fanfic

Ugh. Don't mention that. For a while I kept on writing in things that my beta would read and then say "But this didn't happen at all in Cannon!!" and I would say, "Yes it did!! Obi_Ew said so yesterday.... oh... wait... that was from her fanfiction..."

Oh SO guilty of this one! I am stil convinced that Obi-Wan has a son named Shai and that eventually he WILL show up in the books. I just have to be patient. I'm sure that my patience will be rewarded. I'm positive. Are you listening, George?

Shai? Where are you? I'll take Obi and my daughter can have Shai. See how nice I am?

5. Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan

star 4
    This is more of a Star Wars geek thing...

...Your siblings ask you why you've been reading, writing, and breathing Star Wars and you tell them that you are 'connecting with your inner Jedi'.

...Your dad asks you to mow the lawn, and you happily agree because that means you can pretend the ride-on mower is an X-Wing and formulate battle scenes.
  6. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    When your husband inquires if there's any upcoming romance in your story that's in need of research... [face_blush] [face_blush]
  7. dianethx Jedi Master

star 6
    When your husband inquires if there's any upcoming romance in your story that's in need of research...

Been there, enjoyed that! [face_blush]
  8. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Yep!! Even got him a brown bath robe with a hood... LOL!
  9. AlphaTrion-TJW Jedi Padawan

star 4
    And the thread takes a decidely different route at this point.
  10. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    We are talking research... no different then acting out fight scenes. ;)
  11. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Heehee, um, research, right. I've recruited the hubby for research, though he doesn't know it.
  12. Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Master

star 6
    ...you start thinking of completed stories as old friends that you miss.
  13. Dev_Binks Jedi Knight

star 6
    *steers thread back into safer waters* Your friends find it interesting that you can write an entire page when you don't have to, but you can't write a single sentence when you do...
  14. Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Thank you, Dev. Thank you very much. *is immensely relieved*

you can write an entire page when you don't have to, but you can't write a single sentence when you do...

Funny how that works, isn't it?

...Your best friends hit you over the head with things (i.e. math notebooks, binders, textbooks, backpacks, lead weights) because you did your homework last night instead of updating your story.

...You find this completely normal.

15. AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling

star 3
    When your husband inquires if there's any upcoming romance in your story that's in need of research...

Well, good research is the key to good writing, you know. O:)
  16. Darth_Solent Jedi Master

star 1
    You find yourself standing in the middle of a heavy downpour of rain (without a jacket/coat), just because you have see what it's like so you can describe it correctly in your next scene.

((Solent))
  17. AlphaTrion-TJW Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Actually Solent, I've done this a few...dozen or so times.

-- You stockpile pencils, paper, and pens the way some people stockpile for seiges.
    -- YOu have panic attacks anytime one of your notebooks with your fanfic notes/stories disappears for longer than 15 minutes.
    -- You type a 300 page story and when soeone asks you what you're working on you say "I don't know yet"

18. Agent_Jaid Jedi Master

star 5

... Your dad tells you he had to shut down the computer then asks if you had anything important up that you wanted to save and you just scream in terror

:p

And t'is not as funny as it sounds.

:p

19. Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan

star 4
    .. Your dad tells you he had to shut down the computer then asks if you had anything important up that you wanted to save and you just scream in terror

I HATE that.

...Your dad tells you he's reinstalling Windows, so the first thing you do is make sure all your fanfic files are safe.

20. flowerbee Jedi Knight

star 5
    Let's see,
    -when you stay up until two even `tho you have a test the next day, just because you had to finish a songfic.

-I do the stockpiling notebooks thing.

-when you have developed a certain way of sitting in the car just so your mom can't see what you're writing.

-you get a fic idea from a sermon and start scribling it down on receipts from your mom's purse.(and I LEFT those in church too, people were speculating who "the delinquent with a writing complex" was for months)

-when you have four full notebooks full of stories(none of which you have the guts to post)

-when you start using the phrases "holy Sith!" and "son of a sith, everywhere! (people give me the weirdest looks)

-I also do quite a few of the things mentioned, they were hilarious!
    -when you start going on and on about a certain plot bunny to a friend in SW lingo, for about 10 minutes, and then get a "What did you just say?"
  21. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    You start using the "lingo" to explain complex situations in a few words. We have a saying around our house that we use whenever someone has pulled a particularly shocking, impulsive stunt that they should have known better than to do. We call it a "Skywalker." By saying this word, the kids know that ONE of them has done something so reckless, so potentially dangerous that they have taken a year off my life. I figure I'm in the negative numbers now.

My husband just groans, telling me he'll pay me to give up Star Wars. I told him even George Lucas doesn't have that much money.
  22. Abby Jedi Master

star 4
    When you are at your sister's house, using her computer (with internet access) to post this reply, while simultaneously using your laptop (which is pearched on her desk), to write the next part of your fanfic.

~Abby~
  23. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Sneaking a notebook into your backpack so that while you're camping you can write if the mood strikes. I sneak it in because hubby would sigh in disgust...
  24. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    You write in Aurabesh or in Tengwar so no one can see what you're writing.

You do this so often you're fluent in it.

You can entertain yourself really well at the airport while waiting for the car rental, and all you've got is a pen and a notebook.

You buy one of those pens with USB storage in it so you can say you keep all your stories in your pen.

Dana
  25. CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master

star 5
    You're meeting the new people in your class and your first thought is something like "Wow... she/he reminds me of my/that author's OC" or "Man, s/he would be a good idea for a character.."

:) yes, for those of you who guessed, I was at a "meet thte new students" thing today. ^_^

:Targeter:
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade