main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    VadersMistress, you're so lucky to have someone in your family who's into fanfiction. Most of my family and friends aren't even Star Wars fans, and none of them are into fanfic. :(

2. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    My mother reads my story, but she writes Star Trek stuff :D

~Abby~

3. JalendaviLady

JalendaviLady Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Dad doesn't like me writing it, because it supposedly keeps me from writing serious stuff... nevermind that I learned the nuances of the language and the human mind from writing fanfic.

... if you have ever nearly been late to a class because you were waiting for a printout of your last chapter in your fic to finish so you could start on the next chapter during class.

... if you have even made the slight misjudgment of coinciding the start of a new fic in addition to the one you were working on to start with with the start of a new year of academic obligations :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ... and don't really care.

4. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    You've been crowned unofficial SW trivia world champ... and don't care because you're aiming for an award.

You tell everyone who think's they've met you before that they must have met your evil clone, whose name is yours with an extra vowel.

5. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    Abby-:eek:, VM, you're Mom is cool, consider yourself lucky! Recently, one of my notebooks was read aloud at a family reunion [face_worried] I still can't show my face!!

6. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Poor flowerbee. :( :p

Yesterday, I went to Red Lobster, and even though I don't really like seafood (i.e. lobster and crab), I still ate it because I believe that one of my characters loves seafood. And it turned out that crab alfredo really isn't all that bad. Now that's loving your characters. :p

7. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Hehe, my swim coach gave us 6 500 meters of freestyle to do in swim practice the other day which basicly means 6 sets of 20 laps of the pool. Anyways, it gets very monotonous after awhile, so I found my mind drifting off to some stories and voila! I lost toal track of wha tnumber I was on. Total confusion...

:Targeter:

8. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    Recently, one of my notebooks was read aloud at a family reunion

I'd be so embarassed if that happened to me...

My dad has read some of my HP fanfics on fanfic.net. He keeps telling me to write something original. I can't.

9. jedi-ES

jedi-ES Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    Inappropriate.

10. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    flowerbee-...one of my notebooks was read aloud at a family reunion I still can't show my face!!

You poor thing! I would die. Who did that? I hope you yelled at them--they deserved it!

11. flowerbee

Apr 29, 2004
    My Aunt, I'd brought the notebook in case of plot bunnies, and left it on the table when I went to tend to one of my cousins, I came back and she was reading it aloud to basically our entire family! I didn't yell at her actually, my daddy did [face_love], put a stop to it immediately, He's the only one who doesn't think Fanfic's stupid. Most of them thought it was stupid, and laughed at me. I hate my Aunt now, it's a family joke, except my Dad and cousins, who've declared war on her. It's funny [face_devil] Sorry for the rant. Had to get it out somewhere.
    Jedi- poor you, what was wrong with your fic?

12. Fated2Bdespised

Fated2Bdespised Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2004
    Hrmmm, this is an interesting thread! I can relate to most of them. I may not have actually posted anything yet but I have written some things.

F2BD

13. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    A big high five for your dad, flowerbee. And, we understand about the "rant." Everyone has something they need to talk about at some point. Better to get it out here where people understand than somewhere else where they give you blank looks. (Been there)

--when you can't help but think how much the HOH symbol on Big Brother looks like a Tie fighter. Seriously, has anyone seen it? I swear it is a Tie fighter!!

VM

14. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    ...you go out for lunch, and see two pilots from the nearby Airforce base. They're dressed in bright orange flight suits, and you think they'd make great canditates for Rogue Squadron...

~Abby~

15. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    *tries to imagine why Air Force pilots would be dressed in Orange* cool, I wanna meet these 'pilots'! Though personally give me an old fashioned hunter green jumpsuit. Better to hid in. :p

You know you're a fan fiction writer when... you tend to be up at one in the morning, not because of insomnia but because you got a really amazing plot bunny that won't go away!

16. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    Dev - you know me too well. :p

You know you're a fanfiction writer when... you write a one shot involving a pregnant character, then turn it into an epic and get annoyed because, having never been pregnant yourself, you can't really write a pregnant character. Eventually you figure what the hey, do a massive time jump, and re-write every chapter twice because you are not only dissatisfied with the fic but dissatisfied with you perfectly good life.

^ me. So totally me. :p

You read a book and end up convinced that you could write better than that and have the feedback to prove it.

^ found myself doing that with Eragon.

o:)

17. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    you tend to be up at one in the morning, not because of insomnia but because you got a really amazing plot bunny that won't go away!

Hey...I did that last night! :p

18. JalendaviLady

JalendaviLady Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I was up until three... when the plot bunnies bite, the plot bunnies bite.

And for some reason, the plot bunnies are never for my already-started long fics...

19. Smuggler_Shidakis

Jul 26, 2004
    the plot bunnies are never for my already-started long fics...

Funny how that works.

20. flowerbee

Apr 29, 2004
    ^^^So totally guilty.

21. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    You train your speech-to-text program to recognize words like "holopad," "turbolift," and "duraplast."

22. Myri_Antilles

Myri_Antilles Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    ... if you get ideas from reading this. :p

(Yeah, I know I haven't written anything sw YET, but I've written a bunch of other stuff, including a lotr fanfic I'm rather proud of...)

Edit: I added a ton of sw names to my old computer's dictionary so spellcheck would leave me alone. :p

And I just remembered... I did write a little fanfic awhile back, but it's probably the stupidest thing I have ever written. (Except for the story I wrote when I was about 7...) :p

23. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    You download a speech-to-text program specifically to program it to recognise Star Wars words.

. . . now where can I find one? :p

Dana

24. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    I've read this thread and I've finally got one.

You're given a gift that has no name on the card and one of your first thoughts after wondering who, what, where, is how can I use this in a fic.

25. Smuggler_Shidakis

Jul 26, 2004
    Where can I get a speech to text program!
    One of those would be my new best friend!