main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Were members of the Lepi species involved? ;)

pronker likes this.
  2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    You know you are a fan fic/RP writer when you finish your chapter or piece, and look across at the PC clock in the corner to see that it is 04:28 in the morning, and you have work in a few hours.

Ah-ha.

3. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...no, as I didn't know there were such a thing as a Lepi Species at the time. ;)

4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

It was 5:32 when I got a notification about this post, so...err...I'm one time zone ahead of you and I win. :p

Just kidding, couldn't sleep due to coughing.

Random Comments likes this.
  5. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    When you think you are being clever by writing a sort of over arching plot for a couple of characters and did what you feel are some nice connecting dots only for x amount of fics later to hit yourself since you now have two characters with the same name floating around that are going to be mentioned. *bangs head on table* I honestly hadn't planned on this route back when I named the characters.

Random Comments, pronker and Danifae like this.
  6. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Just go with it, Lady_Misty.

People can have the same name in RL, so, as long as it is not contrived, see where it takes them.

Ewok Poet, I have been told to move the Lara Croft story to a SW forum; I don't know how that will affect your notifications.

Lady_Misty and Ewok Poet like this.
  7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Don't worry, it will be fine. I am getting a bit better, so I'm slowly starting to catch up on what I was behind on as well.

8. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    ...you're doing something completely mundane, like chopping potatoes or changing sheets, and you think about how your OC would do it.

...you reload The Sims 3 so you can map out you OC's house. You use 3 instead of Sims 4, because you have Pets with 3 and you want to make sure you have accomadations for her pygmy roba. :D

9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    ...You see someone else's design for a Hypno sub-breed and it is so sexy that you make a character of it.

Admiral Volshe and Chyntuck like this.
  10. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    You decide to start working on fic again now that the semester is over, and open up your fic-writing folder only to remember you have no fewer than five fics that you've started that you really should be working on.

11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    You unexpectedly find yourself adoring a new canon character and you're looking into writing a fic about her, because there are no fics about her on here that you're aware of. [face_love]

12. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    When creating a character for a brief scene whether or not you just want to give them the surname 'Antilles' since it supposedly is the Earth equivalent of 'Smith' and 'Jones' (And I have met at least five families with 'Smith' as a surname that are not related at all) or if you want to comb surname sites in search of a Star Warsy looking surname.

13. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    ...you write over 1000 words on a crossover you never intended to write, despite the fact that the last thing you need is to start another story!

14. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    With illustrations, of course? :p

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  15. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    When you are writing the next chapter of a fic and go on an impulse to put a fun story in it than you can't quite decide if the story has a place or relevance to the scene it is in.

16. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    When you listen to a bunch of trippy 60's-70's era music and desperately want to find an excuse to include it in a fic.

Example:

Admiral Volshe, Ewok Poet and pronker like this.
  17. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    TDN!!!! One of the king bands of the era ... ^:)^

Ewok Poet likes this.
  18. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    ...when checking up on the pronouns you created for a language you realise you forgot to add two varieties of each and suddenly there's 54 of them.
    ... So you go and write an essay about it.

19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    You know you are a fanfic/RP writer when "Bank of L.A." to you, refers to a major plot arc on Life! and a Star Destroyer that you named. :)

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  20. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    -when you watch a movie or show, and start thinking of a story with Star Wars characters in a similar situation.

21. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    ...or any kind of decent-quality novel, really. ;)

22. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    When you are talking to a sister about a pet peeve where a fan writer writes a fic that is Star Wars something Style and the characters don't fit in their roles. And within a few minutes you have the beginnings of Firefly, with Star Wars characters, in an AU Star Wars Galaxy. Starring Jango Fett as Malcolm Reynolds, Dengar as Walsh, Zam Wessal as Inara and Obi-Wan (Ben) Kenobi as Book. The jury is still out on the complete list of cast but with some minor tweaking and extrapolating on personality I think it could work. Some of it is matching personality and not 'wouldn't it be cool if . . .' for example after seeing Dengar in that TCW S4 episode where it showed him having a fun side that could work in the role for Walsh. Granted he might not be a good pilot but I am willing to overlook it if I think I can get a similar personality match Jango and Zam though would no doubt be fairly OOCish.

23. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Adapted from a Tumblr screenshot I saw on Facebook:

YKYAFFWW you happily talk about ships and canon, and then realize that the average person probably doesn't know what those terms mean and that to them, you probably sound like a pirate.

24. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    It took me quite a while after joining this forum before I understood what "ships" meant. I thought that there were just a lot of fleet junkies in the room... :p ;)

Random Comments and jcgoble3 like this.
  25. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    jcgoble3 one of my brothers and I recently explained what a ship was in the fandom sense to our youngest sister. I will have to ask her if she fully understood what the heck we were talking about. My brother is into Anime and Manga though; not fan fiction but same or similar rules apply.

jcgoble3 likes this.