main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
  2. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    ...you get yourself so in character for an emotional scene you become emotionally distressed yourself. Then you read it over and it essentially makes you bawl your eyes out. Oh dear.

3. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    That just means you're doing it right. Jo Rowling admitted to having cried after writing a certain scene in the fifth Harry Potter novel.

This sensation, at least in my experience, can also be useful for things like action sequences. If you can write a lightsaber fight in such a way that your own heart is pumping madly, and subsequent readings elicit the same or a similar response, then your readers will likely pick up on it as well. Think of it as The Method (a.k.a. Method acting) for writers... ;)

4. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm glad this is doing it right, because my heart is in pieces. :p

I have acted before - and modeled - so I totally understand the Method idea. That's a very good point.

5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    OK, here's another that I'm not sure I can get into the form "YKYAFFWW," but:

My current next stop for potential fanfic inspiration? Beatrix Potter's The Tailor of Gloucester (1903).

Worth also mentioning is that the bunny in question was spawned not only by a single parenthetical remark in one of my recent longfic chapters, but also by the fact that a reviewer specifically singled it out with a "[face_laugh]."

Kahara, TrakNar and Admiral Volshe like this.
  6. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    When you decide to create Star Wars versions of beloved or well known children's books.

Kahara, TrakNar and Goodwood like this.
  7. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    How about The Last Unicorn? Book or movie, it's a pretty interesting tale.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is not that what YJK is? I mean it is just a modern version of Fabulous Five ;)

9. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007

So far I have only done 'Blue Eggs and Barve Ham' and a Star Was version of the book 'But Not the Hippopotamus'.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  10. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Personally I am a Becomer and distrust the Method approach.

I know I am a fanfic writer when even when I have been emotionally crushed nearly every way possible my heart still wants to prove that ending the warring can be done and well. Prepping to launch Part II of my AU.

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    When you're up all night trying to make revisions

12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Been there. :D

If this means anything, your new story is a huge step ahead and better than some things written by folks who take way too much pride in their stuff. The only thing I didn't see is a heading with context (helps to know the basic premise of your AU!), but everything else is there! [face_peace]

13. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    Thank you

Ewok Poet likes this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Always. :)

People just write the same thing for years, make the same errors - both writing-wise and regarding grammar and spelling...and you leaped to the point where the things you wrote a year ago don't look as if the same person wrote it. That's a BIG deal.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  15. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I think part of that is due to some taking writing more seriously than others. I am constantly growing and seeking to refine my talent.

jcgoble3 and Ewok Poet like this.
  16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    When you're neatly writing a chapter-by-chapter review, in a way that may benefit the author and answer a bunch of questions. :) Takes ages, but it's worth it.

17. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
  18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
  19. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    If it's me, I kinda figured. I just hope you don't think my efforts are silly. I know many don't do what I do 'humanise' the 'wrong side'.

20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Nowhere near it, absolutely. Not to mention that I have experienced being on the "wrong" side from the earliest age, dealt with people who pulled their collective blame card against me and a lot more. This is precisely the POV I wanted to read in a fanfic, for a long time. :) @};-

jcgoble3 and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  21. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thank you. :) [:D]

Ewok Poet likes this.
  22. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    YKYAFFWW... you are looking at dresses online and go "oh my gosh! that is totally something [x character] would wear!"

jcgoble3 and Admiral Volshe like this.
  23. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    when you burst out laughing in public and hope no one thinks you're mental because you thought of something funny that could be used in a crackfic

jcgoble3, Admiral Volshe and TrakNar like this.
  24. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    YKYAFFWW...you get personally offended when your favourite characters are unfairly demonised, especially the female characters, and you want to write fix-it fic to make it all better.

It's not so much an issue in the SW fandom anymore, but still a major problem I see in other fandoms, particularly when the female character gets hated on to prop up the fandom pet male character.

Tarsier, Kahara and Admiral Volshe like this.
  25. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    When you want to make a video or trailer of your fic.

leiamoody and Admiral Volshe like this.