main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    ...when books like Bruno Bettelheim's The Uses of Enchantment get you pondering the similarities and differences between your fanfic work and traditional fairy tales.

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you're going through a town you have not been to for more than two decades on Google Street View, so you could port it to GFFA. [face_love]

leiamoody, Kahara, whiskers and 3 others like this.
  3. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Not a fan fiction writer, but a writer. Pouring through looking for records of the Austro-Hungary First Army in Romania during WWI...

leiamoody and Goodwood like this.
  4. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Or double-checking what airbase a particular fighter squadron might have been stationed at during WWII and finding the basis for an anecdote to insert into your original novel... ;)

leiamoody, whiskers and jcgoble3 like this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Ummm...glad people can romanticise things that killed one third of my country's population, I guess.

6. whiskers

May 19, 2005
    Blame a mind that went into creative overdrive after watching Nosferatu while playing a WWI game.

7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Nosferatu and WWI...ummm...Giorgio A. Tsoukalos called. :p

leiamoody and whiskers like this.
  8. whiskers

May 19, 2005
    "I'm not saying it was vampires that destroyed a majority of this platoon, but vampires!"

9. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    When you watch something Star Wars you don't like and are inspired to write to story by it, to make it the way you want it to be.

leiamoody and Admiral Volshe like this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...when you see one of your favourite actors in a sci-fi film and you're like: "Oh, he represents one of those four people in somebody's fanfic!"...

...and then you have a theory that the said fic and the said film are related in more ways than one. :p

11. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    When you wake up with your journal by your face and your pen by your leg and your pencil underneath you.
    I fell asleep writing. :p

12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I wake up like that, but with the tablet...and, often, a dog behind in my face.

leiamoody, Kahara and Admiral Volshe like this.
  13. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    That is just sooooo unlike you! :D

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  14. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    When you have far too many plot bunnies for you to ever write, and yet you don't use the Plot Bunny Donation Thread because you might. Someday. Somehow.

15. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007

It is my understanding that you could still write said fic(s) even if someone else writes it since you and them are going to write it differently. But you can ask the Plot Bunny Sock about it.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  16. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Quite true.

However, each time I give up a rabbit for adoption -- and the term "give up" is a giveaway, yes? -- I feel it is no longer mine. Goodness only knows why.

leiamoody and Lady_Misty like this.
  17. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Yes, you can still write bunnies that you've donated to the thread. Posting a bunny in the plot bunny thread just means that you've also granted permission for others to write stories based on that bunny. :)

Lady_Misty likes this.
  18. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    ?You have to fix the typo you just found in your chapter, even after you just posted it.

Ewok Poet, jcgoble3 and Findswoman like this.
  19. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

There have been times when I've done this days after posting a chapter. [face_blush] I'm eternally thankful that there's no editing time limit in this section of the forums!

jcgoble3 and Admiral Volshe like this.
  20. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Days? Try months. ;)

jcgoble3 and Admiral Volshe like this.
  21. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014

Oh, that too! :D

jcgoble3 and Goodwood like this.
  22. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Two and a half months after I posted a fic, I got bored and re-read it, only to notice that in one place I accidentally said "car" instead of "speeder". :oops: I immediately fixed it here on the boards, in the copy on AO3, and in the copy on my hard drive.

23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you're clapping at the ending of your own fic, before sending the last two chapters to your beta, at last.

24. Iix_Hunter

Iix_Hunter Jedi Padawan

Jul 28, 2015
    ...having four full notebooks of ideas and drawings and scenes

...writing forty-thousand words in a week and then not being able to see anything star wars for six months

but mostly its every time you read a star wars book you think either 'what would my characters do?'
    or 'DAMN why didn't i think of that!'

Admiral Volshe, Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  25. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    You have to ignore some weird person who PMed you out of nowhere attacking you for disagreeing with thier concrit group, Critics United, they said their friend you've never met thinks you're a [other word for donkey, that's not allowed to be said here], you promptly block them and wonder why they bothered to PM you at 3:07 in the morning. Pwning the concrit troll by ignoring them and not giving them a response.

Here's the two messages, I got out of nowhere. Personally, I think Critics United and these concrit groups that go around harassing authors are useless. I've said so on my YouTube channel.

Why would you ever bring up the fact that BBBKA is dead and that her account is being hacked in the first place? If I were to guess, it would be that you love to start arguments and annoy people for no apparent reason. You really need a better hobby, such as writing. Oh wait! This site allows you to do that, but you also like to aggravate people for an unknown reason.

Just please stick to writing, it's much better than what you're doing, and since you oh so claim to have 'proof' feel free to show me this 'proof'.

P.S.

I'm aware that BBBKA was in a bad accident, but she is fine.

Oh, just to add in, Cha's Aegis says you're a.... well I don't like to cuss, so let's say she called you a donkey.

Keep in mind, I've only posted once on their forums and don't bother any of the authors in the group.

leiamoody likes this.