main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Just five? I have six seasons. I WIN THE COMPETITION! :p

Ewok Poet and Admiral Volshe like this.
  2. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I have six wips in the middle of being written/posted, five wips for which some had been written but nothing posted, and three fics for which I have a broad outline but nothing has been written yet. And that's just in this fandom!!

:D

Kahara likes this.
  3. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    -you have trouble sleeping and decided to write
    -change your mind on little plot points as you write/come up with ideas

Kahara and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  4. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    :D :D :D

YKYAFFW when you are seriously considering buying a DVD of a movie that's not even in your own language because the actor in it is the physical appearance template for one of your OCs.

Kahara, JadeLotus and Findswoman like this.
  5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    YKYAFFWW your brain generates an entire tongue-in-cheek AU fanfic in an era you're less familiar with* while you're drifting off to sleep...

...and then you lose the title of FFW when you wake up and have almost totally forgotten it... [face_blush]

...but regain it when you start feeling like you really should try to reconstruct it sometime.

It was a KOTOR AU, and involved, among other things, the female Revan character complaining to her dad (!) about what a stuck-up, unappreciative shrew Bastila is when you first rescue her.

6. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    You daydream fanfics into existence.

jcgoble3 and SatineNaberrie like this.
  7. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Findswoman You absolutely NEED to write that, even as a one-shot crack-fic!

Edit—If you don't write it, I will! :D

Findswoman likes this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you draw a whole infographic of your fics' timeline and write a synopsis for your new readers, because it's hard to catch up with a 60K story.

9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I'd like to, but one-shot and crack it will almost certainly be. And I'll have to rewatch the relevant parts of the walkthrough. :p

10. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark - is it The House of Flying Daggers?

Because I did that too :p

divapilot likes this.
  11. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    YKYAFFW when...

...you've ever used Dragon Ball Z or a similar anime as inspiration for any kind of fight scene.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  12. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    When you wonder if 97% of the names you see/use have meanings even when you randomly put letters together..When you fret about using a name because it's present in a somewhat known Saga (pertaining to OCs).

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  13. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    And you know that fight scene will last for five chapters! LOL!

Anyway YKYAFFW you're watching a new anime (The Heroic Legend of Arslan) and you're naming your OC Star Wars character after the main character, and you can get away with it because the name Arslan doesn't sound out of place in the GFFA (it means "lion" in Turkish, and it's just an awesome name).

Kahara and TrakNar like this.
  14. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Burning stars, no!

That's actually one of my problems with anime fights; they tend to be long on exposition and short on action. It's the action that can be really exciting, though, and if you can reproduce the feel of a well-done anime or wire-fu fight in text form, then you have mastered a difficult skill indeed.

Kahara and Admiral Volshe like this.
  15. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    When you write a scene that is based off of the scene from TMNT with Splinter getting ready to watch one of his 'stories' only to not learn if Corey was going to break up with Donna and you wonder if perhaps the character is a little too much out of character even in the AU.

16. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    When you need to write the new chapters of your fic so badly... that you learn to use the voice to text software on your computer when your laptop keyboard breaks. Then you stay up until 1:00 AM talking to your computer like a crazy person, adding your original characters' names to its dictionary. :p

Random Comments and Lady_Misty like this.
  17. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I remember playing with speech-to-text software back in my college days—you know, back before it was actually worthwhile to use—about fifteen years ago or so. Hopefully it's evolved since then.

18. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    For the most part it has. However my accent, which is quite strange (from my moving from Chicago to Canada, plus my obsession with learning an RP accent), gives it a bit of trouble. The good thing is Microsoft has made it good at learning. In fact, it asked to go through my Microsoft word and onenote files to learn my writing patterns and my common words. That means it already knew most all the characters I use, and is doing quite well at recognizing my sentence structure. In addition, it also learns from my corrections and any future writing.

19. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Fascinating, Admiral. Skynet, here we come! :D

20. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    When you are pissed off because your muse decided to hit you with 3 ideas in one night and it's nearing the end of your vacation so you can't possibly write them all ANYTIME SOON!

On the plus side, it also hit me with the last few entries of my diary, so maybe I can start one of them.

Kahara, Admiral Volshe and Lady_Misty like this.
  21. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

You may, just may, want to consider these things rough drafts and see what happens.

And props to Goodwood and Volshe...each time I try to use that OR predictive text input of any kind, I get nonsense. Hence a whole fic based on my typo.

Random Comments and jcgoble3 like this.
  22. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    If you have Windows, you can train it. Although it's not great with accented English or too many languages (it's best with French, German, Spanish, Italian, and US/UK English).

23. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Which one do you use, V? :) I have considered transferring to voice because of my sight issues.

24. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Just the one installed on Windows.

25. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    What's it called I don't know of it.