main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    YKYAFFW... when you regret making one of the major supporting characters in your story a Barabel, because Barabels' speech idiosyncrasies drive you insane, but it's too late to change the species because you've already committed to the character in question in previous RPG posts, so you just learn to deal with the insanity while making a mental note to never deal with Barabels again.

2. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    YKYAFFW...when you get a cyst on your finger from writing. It's from holding a pen. I can blame science and original fiction too...but mostly fanfic.

Kahara and jcgoble3 like this.
  3. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Now that's dedication! Hope it heals soon!

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  4. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    We can hope with less handwriting and more typing, it will! Thanks!

5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    While I obviously still can write, I have been holding my pens and pencils wrong all my life and my right hand tends to get all blue, black or whatever from writing; which is why typing is much easier for me. Not to mention what notebooks I used to carry in my bag would look like after a couple of weeks - like a dog was chewing them. A tablet with a decent screen that does not make your eyes hurt beats the notebook when it comes to writing long, complicated stuff that needs to be edited 6778978879 times.

I hope your finger will be OK, soon.

6. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Another reason why I'm a keyboard warrior only...though that isn't meant to diminish your pain.

YKYAFFW when you've ever taken a microcassette recorder with you on vacation so you can record your thoughts on whatever plot you might be thinking of, since you won't have access to a computer. Yes, I have actually done this.

7. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    -when you buy notebooks for the sole purpose of fanfic writing/notes
    -and when little things inspire you

Kahara, Lady_Misty, Ewok Poet and 2 others like this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you remember that you were working on three resourcey indexy things - one on your own, two with friends. And neither of them is past mod-approves-the-draft stage yet, because all three of you may be...HEHE, LOOK, A BIRD! Wait, no, no birds at 3 AM.

9. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    ...when you've been too busy with writing and beta-reading to find time to get the plot bunny index up to date. And you have a lot to get written and a quickly approaching deadline now less than two weeks away, so you have to put off the index for a while longer. (I promise it will get done eventually, though!)

10. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    SatineNaberrie likes this.
  11. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    YKYAFFWW you say to your muse things like, "Muse, knock it off with this 'random plot bunnies in eras I barely know that fit none of my current challenges and projects' business already!"

...and oh my gosh, am I going to have to check on something in the Gerusalemme liberata in the course of working out said bunny? Looks like it... :eek:

Kahara, Ewok Poet, Chyntuck and 3 others like this.
  12. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Oh my, you really are well-read, aren't you Findswoman? :D

13. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    The last time I said that to my muse (a nefarious creature that I call Darth Plot Bunny), she gave me several rabbits about people who do not appreciate gifts.

14. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    You spend more than 5 minutes pondering weird questions you're sure nobody else in the fandom has ever asked... :p

15. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Try me. :p

Ewok Poet likes this.
  16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I searched for lower primates' approach to mating and ended up reading a whole book, so beat that. :p [face_whistling]

Kahara, Findswoman and metophlus like this.
  17. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012

Did you read a whole book on the mating or just a whole book separate from that? :p

18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    The whole book was about the culture, evolution, anatomy and many other things. Only one chapter was about mating.

19. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    That sounds interesting.

YKYAFFW when you don't think that's weird at all!

Ewok Poet and Force Smuggler like this.
  20. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    YKYAFFWW you're on a roll with one fanfic and everyone else wants you to update the one you happen to have writer's block for!

21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    You have a dream involving some sort of a sweet, better, sane self of an otherwise shizoid-esque person.

Your tablet wakes you up with a news about that person recovering a historic item that you didn't know was stolen.

Though you have a problem feeling any empathy for them at this time in your life, this results in chugging down some Pepsi Max and writing a love scene (not a sex scene) involving a future fic's lead character loosely based on that person in terms of looks and some of characterisation.

The said love scene was a huge problem, just like the character and their romantic partner in this arc displaying any sort of affection for each other was a problem.

22. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    When a plot twist for a fic ends up being the perfect way to set off a chain reaction for an AU that you have been planning for a year plus.

23. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    When your fic initially exists entirely to deal with your AU.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  24. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Your brain is so set on the show you were just watching that your scene is in their voices...and you have to watch clips of the film you're supposed to be writing to remedy that.
    It doesn't help when both the characters on the show and the characters in the film both have tons of irritated banter. :p

25. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when you left the job where you answered phones for newspapers, and had a writing cramp that wouldn't quit for three months afterward, thus making it hard to get any fic writing done. (Seriously. Did a LOT of writing at that job. Didn't realize how much until I left it.)

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.