main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. metophlus

metophlus Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 30, 2015
    Please stop babying me, EP.

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    OK, antagonise everybody, if that is what you want.

3. metophlus

Jun 30, 2015
    Hmm. Nope. <3

edit: I wasn't calling myself a bad writer or anything. It's just that I wanted to confess how things fell into perspective for me.

4. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    OK. I guess. :)

YKYAFFWW ...you might have to stop reading a story because it's too much for you to handle at this point. Or bulk-read when it's all over. Dunno. :_|:_|:_|

5. metophlus

Jun 30, 2015
    From what I can gather, there was a character death that impacted you? Would speaking with the author of the story help you ground your emotions?

6. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    YKYAFFWW all you can think about is your fandom, even when you KNOW you won't be able to write anything for it for a long time. Mental torture, I swear!

:p

metophlus and Admiral Volshe like this.
  7. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when you end up having to read a psychology textbook (again) to figure out of the plot element you love could work or not. (It can. And I made my mother laugh while explaining the plot element...)

8. metophlus

Jun 30, 2015

Please explain what is keeping you from your fandom. I've never heard that before.

9. metophlus

Jun 30, 2015

You people are TEASES!

I quit!

TRUE SPAMS

(this post has been for the sake of humor.)

10. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    When you come up with fic ideas that help clarify how you view certain of the "big" matters in life and philosophy.

When you have an idea for a fic inspired by the utter dreckitude of your current life as a way to help you cope with the reality you can't escape (because writing is cheaper than therapy, plus you actually have a chance to engage with others who are actually competent, unlike many therapists :p).

11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    YKYAFFWW you buy a book that is basically a collection of personal notes by a XX century female photographer, an extreme talent, who is - sadly - most widely known as the tortured and mentally ill muse of a great artist who was an extremely ugly man and a major kriffslider unable to separate the myth he created from his real life person...

In a conversation with one of your dearest friends, a critic you trust immensely, you realise that some physical features of your OC's looks and the name were inspired by this person. And that a fairy-tale the OC's person of interest retells to her is named after a famous painting, subconsciously. And that a lot of elements related to your OC that don't point to water-related connections and some tiny bits of your own personal experience point to this very woman.

In the end, you're pretty sure that you'll end up with something like a 500K-word trope deconstruction, subversion and reconstruction. Which is OK.

12. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    ... when an absolutely, totally, utterly ridiculous idea of a DDC pops into your mind, and you feel like dropping everything you're doing and re-watching ANH to outline it (AS IF you ever needed a pretext to re-watch ANH!)

13. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    . . . when you use both Behind the Name sites for first and last names for characters and wonder if you have tendency to select first names that begin with 'A' or if it's all in your head.

Admiral Volshe and whiskers like this.
  14. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    Me? I have a non-Star Wars story up on another website that's enduring the World's Longest Hiatus (MONTHS LONG) thanks to my college search! :( I'm attempting to break it, at least.

15. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Guilty as charged on that one! :D

16. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...have you read through this thread? We're silly!

17. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    When you fall asleep thinking about your plot and your first dream becomes a strange twisted version of your plot. Yet, it's awesome and now you want a movie contract. :p

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  18. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    When you have to check the fanon thread because you can't remember a certain detail of a religion you created.

jcgoble3, Ewok Poet, Chyntuck and 3 others like this.
  19. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    ...when your dreams start to become dominated by weird mixes of various fandoms, whether you've written for them or not. Especially if you've never written for them.

DaenaBenjen42 likes this.
  20. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    ... when a story you intended to be a one-shot experiment runs away from you and announces it will be a five-chapter story or nothing.

Sith-I-5, leiamoody, Exeter and 5 others like this.
  21. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    ...when your friend informs you of a new "Admiral Piett lives!" theory so you spend 3 hours finding every tidbit of evidence you can for that.

Then you get massive plot bunnies and stay up all night writing the fic with similar plot you really shouldn't be neglecting. [face_batting]

Ewok Poet likes this.
  22. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    YKY...frag it...etcetera, when you are watching Doctor Who, and the race of the obscure, one-shot alien that you have been roleplaying and writing background fic for, is mentioned in passing. Literally, a throwaway line.

jcgoble3, pronker and whiskers like this.
  23. whiskers

May 19, 2005
    I just took a measuring stick to my door to see if an electrogarrote's cord could fit all the way across it...

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  24. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Wouldn't an electro-garrotte cord be whatever reasonable length you wanted?

As long as you don't coil the cord like on an old style Bakerlite phone, I am given to understand from my college days that coiling a wire somehow impedes the current going along it. But an uncoiled cord should be fine, regardless of how wide your doorway is.

whiskers likes this.
  25. whiskers

May 19, 2005
    Probably. Didn't want to stretch it though.

And that's unintended pun of the day #1!

EDIT: Actually, I don't think that the wire is electrified at all, but rather it's a device that tightens it automatically. I don't really know, it was just mentioned and never used.

GrimdarkRose and Sith-I-5 like this.