main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005

[face_laugh]

"Get your hand off it" would be my pick as the best phrase used. A bit of overuse of flamin' which while amusing is a bit archaic - as is sheila unless you are a rural male over a certain age or a character in a soap opera.

LOL - why were you looking at those?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I am making her website. You mates pay best. :D

Послато са SM-J500FN уз помоћ Тапатока

3. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Ah, I see. Small world!

Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But since it take place a long, long time ago that is not really a problem :p

5. Ugohr Poof

Ugohr Poof Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2016
    When you come up with a myriad of reasons as to why such-and-such species can excel in X role on a baseball diamond (e.g. the Gungans would excel on the mound, Geonosians would destroy non-flying species on the outfield, Neimoidians excel on the infield)

jcgoble3, Ewok Poet and Goodwood like this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    When you realise that you're not the only Gungan fan around!

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I take that as my cue to post more gungan fan art in the future.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Yes, please. :D

9. Ugohr Poof

Ugohr Poof Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2016
    When you come up with a list of changes the Jedi Order ca. 842 ABY undertook vs. the Order as it stood pre-Purge (ca. 20 BBY), like allowing Jedi to own businesses (but only after they passed the Trials of Knighthood) and taking Padawans when they are teenagers.

leiamoody and jcgoble3 like this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    You have two things that have to be posted on May 31st...yet what your brain wants to work on are the DDC entries for freakin' July.

11. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    When you (a) come across a fanon, in-universe song text written by another fanfic author, (b) start wondering whether it has a tune to go with it, and then (c) compose one. :D

TrakNar, Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  12. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    When you: 1) finally get around to cleaning up the last chapters of your longfic to post them, 2) realise that there are some loose ends and rewrite entire chunks, 3) realise that your writing style has changed since you wrote them more than a year ago and begin editing word by word, 4) pull your hair out, 5) think of a sequel.

Phew.

13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    When the post above happened to you as well. [face_cow]

When the post above the post above is for you. <3

When Briannakin says that fanfic is the ultimate stress relief and over the next couple of days, you kind of figure out that it's the reason you write so much. O_O

14. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    When you can answer questions about your OC more readily than you can answer questions about yourself.

15. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Ooh, that's gotta smart. The kicker is that it doesn't necessarily have to apply to fan fiction.

16. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    ...when it causes you to simultaneously be frustrated and having fun.

I needed a project so I decided to mess with outlining a story I've been working on off-and-on for a couple years. It's been through several rewrites and false starts since I can't get the plot right, no matter what detail or situation I change upstream or downstream of the issues. I spent four straight hours brainstorming one day this week (still no solution either :p ). It's very frustrating that I can't figure it out, but at the same time I had a lot of fun thinking up possibilities and trying to craft the story.

leiamoody and Findswoman like this.
  17. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    It's better to have fun in the attempt than get frustrated and delete everything. (My personal go-to solution :D).

Findswoman likes this.
  18. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    When you delete a story and sometime down the road you regret it, because you decide you want to continue it.

19. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when you need something that a grandchild would give their grandparent in the medical field as a gag gift and ended up with a scrub top that had peace symbols all over it.

20. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    you a
    HA! So it isn't just me that uses my control over fictional characters to escape stress.

I rage-deleted a bunch of stories my first few months of writing. I regret doing it so much these days.

YKYAFFW when you actually spend most of your day kinda cranky, then you realize it is because you are so frustrated with your muse.

21. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    My recollection of my earliest fanfic, with the Christmas Tree villains, was rage torn-up due to some teenage upset.

22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    OK, not like that. :p I don't like control in general, but when they tell me where they want to go, I'm happy for them and all. :)

Don't do it! The most recent I saw from you was a masterful character study.

23. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    YNYAAFFW when you are trying to get in the mood to write something for several hours, finally do start writing something, and just *goes back to count* 129 words in, realise that you have to stop and go re-find that video on wetbikes to see how to operate the drokking things.

24. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when you really should NOT be looking at concept art, because adding another layer of intrigue means you'll be sacrificing another pen to the plot bunny attack. (I'm not joking. So far, six pens got sacrificed for the greater good.)

25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    [face_laugh]

YKYAAFFW when your the scene could do with your OC muttering some of the Romanian profanities she learned while working there, and all you want is the local equivalent of "Oh crap", because that is TOS-compliant; and really, there is nothing on the list of swear words that you have Wiki'd, that you can use. Blast the requirement to put an English translation in brackets.

This stuff is nasty!

DaenaBenjen42 and Ewok Poet like this.