main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Actually all my dream ideas aren't fanfic. They're mainstream fiction scenarios...some of them are kind of odd.

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    My dreams are unrelated to fanfic. I think they are Brexit concerns. My house front door inexplicably open into the night, like in one of the Insidious horror films.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

Doesn't change that I would read. :)

At least you don't dream about having to transfer a crocodile from Hungary to Serbia for no apparent reason, together with a bunch of furniture. Most of my dreams are about transfering furniture from one country to another. O_O

divapilot likes this.
  4. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when your new favorite original character is a backwoods doctor who speaks broken english AND the card aisle at the supermarket gives you plot bunnies. [face_tired]

5. Iix_Hunter

Iix_Hunter Jedi Padawan

Jul 28, 2015

I know what you mean about odd but i've never used my dreams as ideas since they're just too weird (the few i remember) like i once dreamed that a giant spider was in my room (i don't do well with spiders) it was the size of a dog and thought it was my dog it started licking my hand with a big floppy tongue and panting....i didn't sleep much after that.

6. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    BEST SUPERMARKET PUN EVER - 11th Doctor novel. The sea lapping at the shores of a pre-20th Century sanitarium is scanning patients' minds and creating copies of what will best help them.

The Doctor gets scanned and the sea goes nuts!

"Unexpected item in scanning area!" [face_laugh]

Iix_Hunter - I am of the belief that imaginary giant spiders has helped to reduce my own arachnaphobia down to merely jumping at the sight of them; specifically hunting and fighting man-sized ones in the MMORPG Everquest must have gotten me used to the shape or something; can't really explain it.

DaenaBenjen42 likes this.
  7. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    It was Skyrim for me. Once you fight spiders the size of a car in first person, the ones that are less than an inch long just don't seem as bad.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  8. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Look up Phil Jupitus' videos on Youtube for his "Category One Spiders" (it'll bring up vids for all three categories) for the level of fear I have improved from.

9. Iix_Hunter

Iix_Hunter Jedi Padawan

Jul 28, 2015
    i used to be worse but then i saw an episode of some detective drama where they were at an event of weird food and in the kitchen they took a live spider, dropped it in batter and deep fried it and i felt for the spider, all i could think was 'you heartless b***ards!'

10. Iix_Hunter

Iix_Hunter Jedi Padawan

Jul 28, 2015
    and now back to the topic

...when you envision a scene so completely, every word written out in your head that you convince yourself you've actually written it and you spend hours scouring through every handwritten note and computer document you've ever produced only to conclude that you're crazy, so if you'll excuse me i have an appointment with a psychiatrist!

11. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I would be more inclined to believe that the computer had swallowed the file or update, than it being a false memory.

12. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    ...when you suddenly get struck with an idea for a story involving an OC who already exists in one AU series, but would be used in another AU series that takes place within the Sequel Trilogy. Which means an OC simultaneously exists in two fictional universes...

Ewok Poet likes this.
  13. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    ...when the best chance of breaking your writers' block, is a character musing to himself, "I'm you...a shape-shifting ass-hat that doesn't realise that the Winter Soldier is on everyone's crap list..."

DaenaBenjen42 and Ewok Poet like this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you complain about how you can't write a chapter for six months. Then you sit down and write 3.5 chapters.

15. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Schrödinger's OC, perhaps? ;)

leiamoody likes this.
  16. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
  17. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    ...when you suddenly have enough ideas to make what was supposed to be a short story into a multi-part.....And yet your muse/Darth Writer's Block/Darth Insecurity somehow won't let you put words on paper. :(

18. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when what was supposed to be a viggie turns into something long. Really long. More than once.

...when your spelling error causes a spoon to be a spook. (Anyone want a spooky spoon? Hee!)

leiamoody and Sith-I-5 like this.
  19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    When you write this and mean it:

Gamiel and Findswoman like this.
  20. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
  21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
  22. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    ...when you first (a) find yourself wishing there were a single term that meant "the collective sum total of one's OCs," and then (b) go ahead and coin such a term yourself: ocedarium. As in, "Finds's ocedarium contains an abnormally high concentration of Gands." (Sorry, it's late and I'm tired and that's the best I can come up with. :p )

23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...when your beta has to beta something for...accuracy. And it's kind of...weird.

Findswoman likes this.
  24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    When your fic is really the only writing speaking creatively even after nearly a year hiatus. Hey guys. :)

25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Hey, welcome back. :) :) :)