main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Her muse has got to be a moose - can't dig out that photo from the moose casually roamin' the university yard or whatever, but IT TOTALLY CAME TO GIVE INSPIRATION.

Disclaimer: CaffeinecaffeinebasketballcaffeineEEEK.

Findswoman and leiamoody like this.
  2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    The West Wing totally pulled my muse it's direction. (But is also ADD, so it's not amassing much in the actual fic department). Re Jimmy Smits is Obama - It's kinda creepy the things the show predicted. Also, look up Rham Emanuel who they swear Josh Lyman isn't based off of, but totally is. (Specifically the last paragraph of the "political staffer" part of his Wiki).

YKYAFFWW... a podcast jokes about a fanfic plot line (not in a mean to fanficers way!) and you think, Yeah, I could actually work with that!

3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    My rabid attack muse? Moose?

Re: our slightly off topic West Wing discussion: yeah it is kinda creepy how they predicted huge political events. And I laughed when I looked up Rham Emanuel.

YKYAFFWW, you know exactly where Mav's muse went because it went to the exact same place after reading how The West Wing ends (though, sadly my muse doesn't last long in the NSWFF side, because fic ADD is real).

mavjade , leiamoody and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    That thing, yes. Next to a par of trousers with BARF written in sparkly sequin things on the right hip, the funniest thing I've seen this year. Now I have to save it!

5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    OK, here's how one might know specifically that one is a TF.N fanfic forums writer/regular/etc.:

When, for the purposes of record keeping, one first (a) sends a PM to a resource-thread sock one controls oneself and then (b), upon updating said resource thread accordingly, logs into said sock to sends one's regular account a confirmation PM. Sock puppetry, much? (And that's probably exactly why socks are so called!) :p

6. LandingGirl05

LandingGirl05 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 6, 2005
    ...when the above reminded you to actually log into your sock and clear your PM's and alerts... (Had to at some point, right?)

jcgoble3, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    When the above reminds you that you were hilariously bad at controlling a sock (yeah... there may have been months I didn't log in with it, BUUUT, in my defense, there would be months when no one would send it anything).

But having a "paper trail" is actually a good thing if something weird happens to the thread or something

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Suggestion, mention it in your fanon post because that was not the picture I had in my mind for the trs'kin before you mentioned it.

Findswoman likes this.
  9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

Well, naturally people are all going have different pictures in mind when it comes to fan-created material of which there isn't any artwork yet. :p I'll admit that the details of the trs'kin's appearance shift around in my mind too, and for now I guess the best I can say is that it looks something like a cross between a lobster and one of those isopods, only about the size of an Earth rabbit. Is that fair? :)

Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  10. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    ...when you want to write a fic that includes the following terms: "droidus interruptus" and "dorkus interruptus".

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    ... when you gets frustrated over the lack of comparability between the English language and your native one when you are trying to write something. I need to read some books that describe nature because the words I want to use don't exist or sounds wrong in English.

Anedon and Sith-I-5 like this.
  12. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Are all your fandom books in Swedish?

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No but most of them don't describe strolling in the forest. Cities, spaceships, jungles and deserts are more popular.

14. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when you were going for a book reference and ended up at Army Green Socks instead. (The book reference would have been awesome, as it was the plot relevent Velveteen Rabbit, but... OD Green Socks!!!!! Hmmm... can I do both?)

Sith-I-5 and Findswoman like this.
  15. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    ...when you spend an hour on various fan wikis and Wookiepedia looking to see if something exists for this idea you have, and just decide to write something new anyway.

...when you have a hard time sorting through the "official" stories in your head and whether it was something you'd read on these boards years ago.

...when your hard drive is full of ideas that would span for tens of thousands of words, if any of them were ever actually finished.

...when you earnestly wish you could draw or sketch as well as you could write (even if your writing isn't great) because some of these things just need pictures.

16. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Mira_Jade is the mod on the Non Star Wars FanFic forum. I recommend you read some of her Silmarillion works. I would be very surprised if you didn't find your nature terms somewhere in there.

Gamiel likes this.
  17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

This is a common one, yup-yup-yup!

...you bike around the hilly side of a small town, looking for a castle fit for a Hutt crime lord who is also a hipster.

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    YKYAFFWW... you debate taking an university class (even though it's an upper--level-class and you know you can't handle another upper-level-class that semester, plus the prof is a bit of a troll) just because it will increase your knowledge of an area that will be useful for an upcoming fic.

(it's an American Government class... but I'd have to drop my class on Plagues and Epidemics, which is the deal-breaker).

DaenaBenjen42, Thorn058 and Ewok Poet like this.
  19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Yeah, who would drop that...lovely....thing. :eek:

(In all honesty, I would too be morbid enough to sign up...)

20. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    That is hard core.

21. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    ...when it occurs to you that your current tutoring student is the same age as one of your main OCs, and you start to wonder whether there's any inspiration to be had there? And then you realize the answer is probably no, because they're really quite different personalities. But you're still proud of yourself for noticing the age similarity all the same. :D

22. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    ... when you want to ask random people that look like your OCs if you can take a picture of them.

Sith-I-5, Findswoman and jcgoble3 like this.
  23. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Hope no one will mind another one from me in fairly quick succession. This isn't exactly in the form YKYAFFWW, for which I apologize, but just the other day I sort of, well, rattled a teacup back and forth on the countertop to get an idea of the sound it made, because something similar was happening in what I was writing at the time. (The Findshusband didn't even bat an eyelash; I think he may be use to this sort of thing by now.)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  24. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    When you write a comment for your character's reaction to something, and you like it so much that you decide to make it his or her trademark reaction

Ewok Poet and Gamiel like this.
  25. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    When you see a trailer for a remake of a classic western movie and think I am so making that a Star Wars story right now.

Ewok Poet likes this.