main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Darth Osnil

Darth Osnil Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 29, 2016
    . . . when you watch two different movies and immediately afterwards plan to write a crossover between the two.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  2. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    ...when you allways plan at least several chapters in advance but rarely follow your plans afterwards.

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    ...when after many months and pages, you look back across the project and think, hold on, I may have made a terrible mistake.

4. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when a family tree gives you a plot bunny. (That was NOT my intent...)

5. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Confirmed. (Maybe this post should go in the pet peeves thread!)

jcgoble3 and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Did anybody send beetroot pics?

7. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Chyntuck I hope you didn't really sign up to a dating site for research. That's a bit mean. [face_shame_on_you]

Chyntuck likes this.
  8. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    ...you have at least one word document filled with half finished chapters and ideas you haven't used in your stories but didn't want to delete.

divapilot, Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

+1

I call these three documents "Things that went nowhere 2015/6/7".

10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    DOCUMENTS? I have an entire folder full of half-started fics and documents with ideas jotted down in them. And don't get me started on all the unfinished stuff on my external hard drive.

Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Composition Books. Lots and lots of composition books for that. :)

leiamoody and Ewok Poet like this.
  12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    YKYAFFWW... you are trying to study for your last mid-term ever (hopefully) and your muse is just JUMPING UP AND DOWN trying to get you to finish a fic.

LIKE SERIOUSLY MUSE! 6 more weeks and you can run amok for 5 months and (arguably) the rest of my life.

Also YKYAFFWW... you just know your muse is going to fall over dead in 6 weeks, never to return. UGH! I seriously hope not! [face_praying]

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    That last thing won't happen. You're the most prolific of us, go check the list of fics for, well, any given year!

Briannakin and Findswoman like this.
  14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Briannakin and Ewok Poet like this.
  15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks guys. My muse does work better under stress (evidence that fanfic really is a coping mechanism for me - goodness knows some of my best stuff was written in my worst times) but we shall see what it does as I transfer into my next stage of life.

16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    It's my coping mechanism too, so I totally get it. You'll only get better. Your stuff got amazing last year in comparison to the year before, so it can only go up, up, up.

divapilot likes this.
  17. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    Talking of muses... YKYAFFW... you finally beat months of block and finish a story, sit back and bask in that glow finishing something nice and shiny... then the muse whispers in your ear, "Now it's time to start that other one you've been planning to do" and then suddenly disappears like Kaiser Sose...

Ewok Poet and divapilot like this.
  18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Kurisan
    [face_laugh] That was well put! I like it. (The phrasing, not the disappearing muse.) As someone who has had this exact problem quite a few times, I understand the frustration well.

Ewok Poet and Kurisan like this.
  19. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    When you get frustrated with your muse because you want to write/finish a particular fic, and your muse insists on bombarding you with a ton of other plot bunnies. This is especially infuriating when the fic you want to work on has a deadline! Like the Dare Challenge!

Fortunately, I managed to make my muse cooperate in time to finish my fic on the last day in the afternoon, evening, night, late night, and slip it in under the wire....with about four minutes to spare.

Ewok Poet and Kurisan like this.
  20. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    Cowgirl Jedi 1701 :D That's why I don't write to deadlines. This is supposed to be fun!

mavjade :D My two little girls can do that Kevin Spacey impression really well (they learned it from me when I do magic tricks and make their coins disappear). They are only 2 and 4. One day they will watch the film and be like, "OMG that's what daddy was talking about!"

mavjade and Ewok Poet like this.
  21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Who are you and what did you do to Kuri, aka the guy who has a schedule-thing which is SOMETIMES SCARY?

:eek:

:eek: :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Holy Batman, Batman!

Findswoman likes this.
  22. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    Aha, Ewok Poet - my trick is to never start posting a story until I have completely finished it (and edited and re-written, like 20 times). So, I could blast out the whole thing in one go if I wanted - but I find some forum members need to take time to read, as they are so loaded up wth all their various projects lol. :p

Sith-I-5, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  23. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    That's my usual trick, too. I've read too many stories that just...stop. Either the author has an attack of life, or writer's block, or for one incredible story the writer just disappeared from the boards altogether. So I like to make sure that at least the entire first draft is together before I start posting.

Kurisan, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  24. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    ...your predictive typing brings up your characters' names when you type the first letter of their names. Also when it randomly suggests the word "lightsaber" in response to the sentence "He walked out the door with a spring in his…" (Okay, now my wonky predictive typing is suggesting "room," "pants," and "underwear" to end that sentence. WHAT KIND OF WRITER DO YOU THINK I AM, I Pad?)

jcgoble3, Kurisan, mavjade and 3 others like this.
  25. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I was texting friends on my phone to say I couldn't come to game day. Typed G-A-M and the phone suggested "Gammorean"! [face_pig]

jcgoble3, Sith-I-5, Kurisan and 3 others like this.