Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. FireKeeper Jedi Youngling

star 1
    To me it's TFA and all that follows it rather than TPM. I don't consider TPM as bad as some make it out to be, and I think it's better than TFA.

I see no reason to hide the fact that I hate the direction Disney took the new trilogy( not talking about Rogue One here, just the sequels) , and think the special effects were one of the few good things about it ( the other being BB-8).

That's why I am writing a series of short stories that changes some things I didn't like, tries to develop the new characters( or at least Rey, I am not sure if I am able to include Finn and Poe as major characters with an already big cast, they will appear as minor characters though) that are IMO underdeveloped, and branches off as a storyline independent from the sequel trilogy and whatever craziness Jar Jar Abrams comes up with.
    Last edited by FireKeeper, Jun 24, 2017
    leiamoody likes this.
  2. FireKeeper Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Ooops, double post.
    Last edited by FireKeeper, Jun 24, 2017
  3. Sith-I-5 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    you search Youtube for the sound effects of an old style laser printer, and nod in satisfaction that you remembered the sound correctly.
  4. DARTH_MU Jedi Master

star 4
    the sound of "new" laser printer sound is different from "old laser printer?
  5. Sith-I-5 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    While the laser printing shouldn't create too much noise compared to a dot matrix, or ink ribbon being punched; with some older laser printers, the act of selecting another piece of paper was noticeably audible and sometimes shook the whole printer, rather than the smooth, cool, equipment that we have today, that hum out multiple pages with barely any discernible noise.
    Ewok Poet and DARTH_MU like this.
  6. DARTH_MU Jedi Master

star 4
    When you needed someone to explain the difference between different generations of printers.
    DaenaBenjen42 and Sith-I-5 like this.
  7. FireKeeper Jedi Youngling

star 1
    When you get tempted to give your OC a love interest and a happy ending( instead of a bittersweet one as you've planned) because you've looked through the fanfics on AO3, seen people giving your hated canon character a love interest and a happy ending, got extremely jealous, and thought that if that bastard is allowed to get away with all he did, why not your OC?
    DARTH_MU and Sith-I-5 like this.
  8. Ewok Poet Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    ...you feel empty and depressed for two months and then, in a day, you write more words than during the previous month. A small victory, but still a victory.
  9. leiamoody Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    When those years of seething general rage and bad encounters with psychs influence a story that is weird but not weird enough to meet your standards. But you're trying to write it anyway.
    Last edited by leiamoody, Jul 7, 2017
    divapilot likes this.
  10. leiamoody Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Double post durheyhey.
    Last edited by leiamoody, Jul 7, 2017
  11. FireKeeper Jedi Youngling

star 1
    You have been planning to write a fic depicting a particular scene for weeks, then when you actually get to writing, you are lost, because you didn't envision the scene in details.

Also, when you rewrite your OC's backstory Force knows how many times just because too much of this coincides with that of a canon character, and even after that a huge part of it still coincides with that of a canon character, because changing any of these events messes up the story's consistency. At least in my case by canon character I mean a Legends character, and therefore not present in the continuity I am writing about... Yet.
  12. FireKeeper Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Oops, double post.
    Last edited by FireKeeper, Jul 7, 2017
  13. DARTH_MU Jedi Master

star 4
    You failed to stop the double post. So you joined it.
  14. DARTH_MU Jedi Master

star 4
    You failed to stop the double post. So you joined it.

oops double post :p
    Last edited by DARTH_MU, Jul 7, 2017
  15. Jedi_Lover Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    ...when you realize you don't know the name of the towns your various sibling live in...but you know where your OC was born, raised and is currently living in a GFFA.
    Sith-I-5 and Mistress_Renata like this.
  16. DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Master

star 5
    ...when you get inspired by Animal Planet and then don't quite know yet how to do it.
    Last edited by DaenaBenjen42, Jul 10, 2017
    Gamiel and Mistress_Renata like this.
  17. Gamiel Force Ghost

star 6
    When something like that happen to me I add the idea to my seven pages of world building bunnies, at least now when the World Building Bunnies thread is shot down :(
    Last edited by Gamiel, Jul 11, 2017
  18. gizkaspice Jedi Knight

star 2
    ....when you watch way too many drama serials and your fanfics turn into one of those 1000 episode serials filled with internal conflicts and other weird things.
    DARTH_MU likes this.
  19. Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Jedi Knight

star 4
    When you find yourself in possession of plot bunnies for multiple fandoms.

I am currently trying to deal with several Star Wars plot bunnies, a Star Trek plot bunny, a Firefly plot bunny, a Firefly/Star Wars crossover plot bunny, two Beauty and the Beast plot bunnies, and two Phantom of the Opera plot bunnies. Definitely a full hutch. Or maybe I don't even have a hutch. Maybe it's a plot bunny corral. What even?
    Sith-I-5 likes this.
  20. Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus

star 4
    With that many, I think you've got a ranch!
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  21. Gamiel Force Ghost

star 6
    Farm, it is called a bunny farm, not a bunny ranch :-B:p
  22. Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus

star 4
    IDK... I always think of ranches as being bigger than farms!
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  23. Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Jedi Knight

star 4
    When you find yourself in possession of plot bunnies for multiple fandoms.

I am currently trying to deal with several Star Wars plot bunnies, a Star Trek plot bunny, a Firefly plot bunny, a Firefly/Star Wars crossover plot bunny, two Beauty and the Beast plot bunnies, and two Phantom of the Opera plot bunnies. Definitely a full hutch. Or maybe I don't even have a hutch. Maybe it's a plot bunny corral. What even?
  24. DARTH_MU Jedi Master

star 4
    a double post loaded after an hour?
  25. FireKeeper Jedi Youngling

star 1
    When you're getting plot bunnies and ideas about anything( including the ones that currently do not fit into your fanfics), except for the details you need.
    DARTH_MU likes this.
  26. Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Jedi Knight

star 4
    I thought it didn't load the first time. Sorry.
  27. Sith-I-5 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    When you think of a cool scene that could really do with writing down to preserve the order, but you are afraid to, because it takes place several steps ahead of where you currently are; and whenever you do do that, it leaves a void because you physically, mentally, and creatively are unable to bridge where you are now, to where this future scene takes place.

My second-to-last roleplay game, the Games Master would get impatient and post something ahead of where the game had gotten to, and tell us players to "write towards it", and I was always unable to, as that new scene became for me, the new current timeline.
  28. Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus

star 4
    When... scenes for bunnies are writing themselves in your head even though you don't want to commit to writing the story at all! Seriously, where is Elmer Fudd when I need him?
    Ewok Poet and Raissa Baiard like this.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade