Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 6
    I'm a native English speaker and the thesaurus is my best friend, I'm constantly looking for a different word than the one I'm using. The dictionary would be as well, but even the dictionary can't usually figure out what I'm trying to spell so Google is my best friend there. :p
    BookExogorth and Chyntuck like this.
  2. gizkaspice Jedi Knight

star 2
    *suggests the book "The Complete Idiot's Guide for a Smart Vocabulary" in place of Donald D. Dictionary and Thomas T. Thesaurs for @Chyntuck * It pretty much has a word for....EVERYTHING (or at least most topics when you're stuck and I didn't even know words for some things existed!).
    Last edited by gizkaspice, Oct 30, 2017
    Chyntuck likes this.
  3. brodiew Jedi Master

star 5
    ...when you are playing Star Trek Timelines and can't help but want to write fics about the odd, cross time and space and race crew members who are put together to complete missions.
    Sith-I-5 likes this.
  4. brodiew Jedi Master

star 5
    :oops: sorry for the double post!
    Last edited by brodiew, Oct 31, 2017
  5. Ewok Poet Force Ghost

star 5
    ...you find ~500 words of a rough outline for a story people wanted you to write when you finished your first epic back in 2015 and it seems to be matching two current challenges.
    Findswoman and Sith-I-5 like this.
  6. Ewok Poet Force Ghost

star 5
    ...you lose your PERFECT read & comment list, which even had the stories ordered by length and priority.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.mp3
    Findswoman likes this.
  7. DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Master

star 5
    ...when being stuck in email mode instead of prose leads to interesting things in the rough draft that may or may not end up in the final, but at least it's forward progress... of a sort. (I blame the counties-wide fire thing, and personal familial dramas. I didn't know how stressed out I was until I finally started to come down the day of funeral #2...)
  8. Ewok Poet Force Ghost

star 5
    Hugs, @DaenaBenjen42. Still, writing is the best therapy. If it helps you get through these hard times, so be it! Don't question it, at all. @};-

...when you should be banned from this thread for dominating it.

...when you FINALLY have the right plot bunnies, but you've had two types of headaches, nausea and whatchamacallit within less than a day. Kriff this, LOL. :p
    DaenaBenjen42 likes this.
  9. Sith-I-5 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    ...when your muse spends all day providing material for one of the challenges, plus an incidental baby delivery system, when you finally find twenty minutes to write something, you spend it trying to un-truncate an old OTP origins fic.
  10. Sith-I-5 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Doub- no, triple post.
    Last edited by Sith-I-5, Nov 10, 2017
  11. Chyntuck Force Ghost

star 5
    @Sith-I-5 Were you trying to find a story on the Wayback Machine? If so, I can look it up for you in my husband's magic spreadsheet.
  12. Sith-I-5 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    @Chyntuck - I sort of mis-spoke.

It would appear that in 2009, I created a fic post which tried to recover an old RP post which served as the origins for my OTP.

The fic post was called "We Will Always Have Iskalon", but I think it was the RP forum post that suffered the original truncation.
    Chyntuck likes this.
  13. mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 6
    ...when your muse decides to show up at 1:30 am and you are already in bed and your partner is asleep beside you so you try to type very quietly. Have you ever noticed how loud keys are when the room is very quiet? :p
    Last edited by mavjade, Nov 10, 2017
    yahiko, Chyntuck, Briannakin and 2 others like this.
  14. Ewok Poet Force Ghost

star 5

Mine did that last night, too. Damn moose muse!
    yahiko and mavjade like this.
  15. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic & Costuming/Props Manager

Manager
    star 5
    For the future, please don't wake him up. He probably already doesn't like me and my bad influence on you :p

And this is why I live alone, because when the muse strikes at 3am, no one cares.
    yahiko likes this.
  16. mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Haha! He's the one that insisted I'd like The West Wing even though I wasn't very excited to watch it (until he showed me the pilot). I just passed along the love, we can't help that we feed off each other. So really he has no one to blame but himself. :p Though when I start talking about our head-canon, he does often say he created a monster.
    yahiko and Briannakin like this.
  17. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic & Costuming/Props Manager

Manager
    star 5
    HA! So it's all his fault :p

He may have created 2 monsters :p
    yahiko and mavjade like this.
  18. Chyntuck Force Ghost

star 5
    The same goes for tablet screens being exceedingly bright when the muse strikes but you don't want to get out of bed just yet :p
    Last edited by Chyntuck, Nov 10, 2017
    yahiko, Mistress_Renata and mavjade like this.
  19. yahiko Jedi Knight

star 2
    It's 2:24 am in France... and I concurve. My muse is maybe American... This would explain a lot! :D
    mavjade and Ewok Poet like this.
  20. yahiko Jedi Knight

star 2
    It's 2:24 am in France... and I concurve. My muse is maybe American... This would explain a lot! :D
    Mistress_Renata likes this.
  21. Ewok Poet Force Ghost

star 5
    ...you have a plot bunny for a song you can't relate to at all, because because because...

...it shall feature your OC that has most fans on here and that's probably the closest to your heart. [face_love]
    Findswoman, DaenaBenjen42 and yahiko like this.
  22. Raissa Baiard Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    ...you ponder how to celebrate your OTP’s first anniversary. [face_love]
  23. Ewok Poet Force Ghost

star 5
    ...you really, really, REALLY consider this.
    Gamiel and Findswoman like this.
  24. leiamoody Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    ...you start clicking on Wikipedia links and wind up coming up with a strange concept for a character. (In this situation, it started with a link to the real world Lothal , followed by the one for Mohenjo-daro, then do a search for the term "Lord of Animals" after reading about it under the Pashupati seal subheading. This little Net trek occurred while watching Rebels when Ezra first encountered the Loth-wolves).

[face_dancing][face_idea][face_tee_hee]
  25. DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Master

star 5
    ...when you spend twenty minutes figuring out how old a fictional person would be, twenty some odd years previous to the current story line, at an equally fictional wedding reception. (The answer: ten months. And then I totally wanted to write a flashback... and still might. Again.)
    Last edited by DaenaBenjen42, Nov 16, 2017
  26. Ewok Poet Force Ghost

star 5
    ...you whine because nobody read your fic yet and you're in a meh mood. :(
    Gamiel likes this.
  27. DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Master

star 5
    ^^ @Ewok Poet ...where?

...when it takes a week to realize that you got your plot bunnies back and they STILL have ADHD. (Seriously... and that flashback may actually get written...)
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  28. Ewok Poet Force Ghost

star 5
    Familiar. My ADHD (I still believe I have it, but I'm never ever going to get checked again) has ADHD.
  29. Sith-I-5 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    ...you want that particular person who leaves substantive reviews to visit, and they still haven't, yet.

:(
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade