main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, I have ranted about this before, but the Litmus test is a pile of poo and people should not used, especially for ANY SW character.

This currently is my muse.

Findswoman , mavjade and Chyntuck like this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    V.L.A.D.I.M.I.R. My babe! [face_shhh]

Vladimir is one of my fictional crushes. I hereby admit this. I'd marry Vladimir in a heartbeat. [face_love]

Oh?

Yeah, that one. I still think some of it is right and some of it is wrong. If a character goes to a ridiculous level on that scale, then something is wrong - either it was written to attract attention from the masses (modern literature is an industry, after all) or somebody had a lot of wishful thinking going on. But then again, I see conspiracy theories in music industry and entertainment in general, too, so I shall shaddap. :p

Findswoman likes this.
  3. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
  4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I pretty much agree wholeheartedly with that article.

YKYAFFWW... you deliver your injured brother (who has the same name as one of the main characters in your fandom) cupcakes and you suddenly feel the need to revisit that AU that you started (but only got the prologue written for) where said character's sister does not die pre-series.
    #JOANIELIVES!

5. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
  6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    This is probably going to sound really bizarre, but it was just a minor mishap with a chainsaw. He's fine.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    YKYAFFWW... if you read this
    and think that Briannakin now has a perfect opportunity to study chainsaw wounds for whenever her writing needs it

yahiko and Briannakin like this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Oh, boy, another nightmare coming up. O_O

9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I also agree completely with that article as well. Specifically this:
    THIS is my exact thought. Those tests don't mean anything because they are one persons idea of what they don't like in a character, but they prevent people from writing original characters. There is little to gain from them and a huge detriment to having them.

:eek: :D [face_praying]

YKYAFFWW... your sister had surgery right before a major holiday and she's hilarious on her medications and the things she is saying gives you plotline ideas.

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    IT'S COMING :D I hope... the muse is just trying to decide if it wants to tell the story in another "vignette series" or an actual real fic.

I hope she's okay, though I'm assuming she is if she's giving you ideas... which is why...

YKYAFFWW... you don't feel bad about taking your siblings' misery and using it for your own personal entertainment.

mavjade and Gamiel like this.
  11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Oooo...kay. O_O

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    As long as no one died, it is fair game for mockery, and therefor the muse for inspiration.

You are an only child. I'm sorry, this is just one of those things you only get if you spent 20-ish years in the same house (sometimes the same room and the same bed) as peers who you both loved dearly... and wanted to murder in their sleep.

Sith-I-5 and Ewok Poet like this.
  13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I'll...try to grasp that. Thanks. :)

14. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002

Yeah, a Twilek jedi master in a holocron, missing a lekku, with his face sliced.

My muse was putting together the laser nunchukas that he must have invented and tried out, then started to plan out a Darth Enemy vehicle as a holocron user.

The author has been logged out since June, so I can't even ask...

15. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Double Post

16. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ...when you look up the power ballad hits of 1987 and instantly want to Rickroll everyone on purpose. (I didn't. They went with Frank Sinatra.)

17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    YKYAFFWW you suddenly obsess over replying to all the overdue comments from the beginning of the year on...

...and then you find a couple of things you didn't reply to in 2015 and that becomes an ethical dilemma. O_O

Gamiel likes this.
  18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you realise that you based your character's looks on one of your highschool teachers, yet that her personality matches your psychologist. [face_love]

19. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    . . . you have written, erased and rewrote a chapter/fic so many times that it has lost the original story so to speak.

The fic that is in progress originally had some really, really angry people paying certain people a visit and there was going to be lots of weapons pointing at everyone and the threat of violence but then I rethought all of that since it didn't make sense for what i have in mind and there was the danger of mood whiplash with how quickly everyone suddenly forgives each other and gets along given the situation.

20. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ...when you finally get your CEU's done and a power outage cancels your writing plans for the evening. (Which is okay, really. I had plans to hug my dog while finishing a drabble set. Can do that tomorrow...)

21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you decide to write an unorthodox, platonic pairing in the era you're least familiar with and you don't care if the templar types will send you letterbombs. :p

...you decide to sort out your OC index and then you just end up banging your fists against the keyboard. [face_dunno]

DaenaBenjen42 and Findswoman like this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you want to update your numerous reading lists and, since you missed most of 2017 and have no idea what you read and what you didn't...you end up with your personal record of 157 open tabs.

EP, Y U DO DIS?

23. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ...when something that seems hilarious in-story and out of context with character history actually turns into a multi-chapter character arc, however accidental it was at the time. (Yet again... turns out I wasn't looking for fish...)

...when you find yourself looking up the cordless phones of 1988. (Though it would have worked with a corded...)

Sith-I-5, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    ....When you see a commercial for the Wounded Warrior Project, and even though you are personally disinterested, your first thought is, "I wonder if there's anything like that in the GFFA."

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you search through an entire 30-page thread to find proof of something you've been hinting since practically 5ever.

...you watch out not to include the word "when" in your posts in this thread, because it's already in the thread title and you're a perfectionist in everything but actual work. [face_dunno]

Findswoman likes this.