main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    ...when you are out in the Real World, meeting friends in a pub, hobble off to the toilet, and stop dead in the doorway upon seeing the layout...cos you had had two E-Branch agents teleport into it, and you must have been accurate enough in the description to trigger deja vu.

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you're realising that you will have to re-read your first fic, because you never indexed all OCs that appear in it...or you think you didn't. You're just not sure. [face_beatup]

3. LandingGirl05

LandingGirl05 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 6, 2005
    ...when you have to stop somewhere around chapter 25 and actually make a list for the OC charas because before that you were being non-specific on purpose.

4. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    ....when you had a pretty good idea for a story, and then you came up with another pretty good idea, and now you have to decide which pretty good idea is better (and, no, they won’t work together).

5. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    ... your in the middle of writing a story and you have ideas for their children when your OTP aren't even at the altar yet!

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I HATE that! I never want to not use an idea and then I get stuck trying to decide which one to use. If I write them both out, then I want to use both. If I write one, inevitably I'll think the other was better. :p

Ewok Poet likes this.
  7. Kyber Acyk

Kyber Acyk Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2017
    This happens to me all the time Nehru. At the moment, I have some rough word files written up for the great-great-great-great grandson of Kyber Acyk :eek:

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

...and this is why I have some drafts from January 2015. :p

mavjade likes this.
  9. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when a second round of age math begat not only an amusing flashback, but also the realization that your OC's paternal grandfather was born in the 1880's and was married at least twice. (At this point... I'll take any and all amusing flashbacks, and the story actually started with age math...)

Edit: ...and after fleshing this out a bit more... nope. Three times.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you have to check your own fic for inconsistencies, because you somehow had the same character change three professions throughout, for no apparent reason.

Master_Lok likes this.
  11. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    You find yourself checking the boards on Christmas day :p

12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Early December: two stories to catch up with ASAP, one author angry with me.

Mid-December: eight stories to catch up with ASAP...'s okay, my record was eight in a day, I can do this.

Late December: fourteen stories to catch up with ASAP, at least nine private convos, three of which are unread as of, well, now, messing with Photoshop and Calibre, spending too much time on the OC Index entry.

December 30th: OKAY, FIFTEEN. THANKS A LOT, @divapilot. :p [face_alien]

Okay. 2017, go die in a fire. [face_rofl] DARN YOU, CREATIVE PEOPLE. [face_monkey]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Sith-I-5, divapilot and Raissa Baiard like this.
  13. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    YKYAFFWW you're working on two different fics at the same time, and they involve the same canon character in a relationship with different OCs, and you're trying to keep it straight... [​IMG]

brodiew, Master_Lok, Sith-I-5 and 5 others like this.
  14. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    YKYAFFWW you are drafting two stories at the same time, and waiting for the stories you are reading currently to be updated because you cannot wait for the next installment.

15. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    ...the weather inspires dialogue between your characters on Hoth. Brrrr...

16. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ...when you wrote the same reunion story in two different ways because Markus and McFeely basically invited you to do it by using plot elements from Oceans Eleven. (They're so never living that down. So, so not.)

Master_Lok likes this.
  17. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    You start a fanfic just because you didn't like the fates of canon characters in canon, wanted to fix it, and end up making plot details as you write it, aka Writing By The Seat Of Your Pants.

Ridley Solo and Raissa Baiard like this.
  18. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017
    You start a fanfic just because you didn't like the fates of canon characters in canon, wanted to fix it, and end up making plot details as you write it, aka Writing By The Seat Of Your Pants.

19. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017
    Ooops, double post.

20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ..you're re-reading the earliest chapters of your oldest unfinished fics and cringe at the use of past continuous tense, misspelling a character's name, one Earthism (strawberry?!) and a couple of other embarrassing early instances of stuff that was fleshed out in the newer fics.

And this is why everybody needs a good beta.

Master_Lok and Findswoman like this.
  21. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    It is indeedy. :)

...when you have three windows open to figure out a character background by browsing three different colleges to answer a question that no one's going to know you asked to start with. (The answer: Microbiology degree, and there weren't any medical school programs in Maine until 1978... so it would have been too new and not very well established or well known.)

22. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    . . . you read one of your fics you haven’t updated in awhile to refamiliarize yourself with the characters, tone, etc and end up doing some minor edits and other minor fixes.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

23. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    ...and you wind up using neither of them :p

24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    STOPCOPYINGME. :p

Master_Lok and Lady_Misty like this.
  25. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    You tell yourself that writing a story outline using Microsoft Word’s outlining view is practicing MS Word. :D

And are surprised at what you thought was a throw away story might be much more than that now.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018