main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. Hey Fanficers! In fixing the prefixes something happened and now you can't edit titles. Don't panic! We're looking into what happened and trying to fix it.

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 5

Jul 31, 2014
    Hey, welcome back. :D

SatineNaberrie likes this.
  2. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    thanks

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Togruta

Togruta Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    ...When you can get away with using more adverbs than necessary. [face_beatup]

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Story of my life.

5. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when you're happily involved in an RR that's not really an RR, but is. 8-}

Chyntuck likes this.
  6. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    ...when you're going about your daily routine and you walk by one of your OCs on the street (someone who looks JUST like them!) and you have to try not to stare.

7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you're listening to a song while running errands and then plot bunnies attack, because you got that one in a challenge on here!

8. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when another author's fic randomly inspires you to dash one off in an era you don't usually write in.

9. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Force Ghost star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    ...you just want this stupid chapter done already.

10. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when you suddenly realized that not only is it a story with two Allison's who never meet, but also three Maria's. (In my defense, two of those are from another dimension...)

11. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    You argue with your guildie about how cliche some things are in Rebels, and at the same time offer to resurrect their favourite character, no matter how much canon warping it would take( whatever, I don't care).

12. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    You realize that the chapter you're writing would actually be better from the perspective of another character and you thank the writing gods that you caught it two paragraphs in instead of two pages.

13. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 3, 2016
    when you finish watching a certain series finale and

begin planning how things would be different if a certain Doctor's companion intervened to save her Imperial fiancee. ;)

MODified: Added spoiler tags

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. divapilot

divapilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    You look up younger pictures of yet another actor because you still haven’t quite nailed exactly what that particular OC looks like yet

15. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    When you are trying to picture your OC who is an amalgamation of Jensen Ackles and the original Comic character Richie Rich.

whiskers likes this.
  16. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017
    When you still haven't found a faceclaim for your OC because you already have a clear vision of what they look like in your head, and none of the actresses you've seen quite fit.

17. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    You try to break the logjam by surveying all your projects, and when they last had a post.

A clear winner is identified, but. Your. Muse. Gives. You. Nothing.

On the bright side, looks like I had already written 868 words of the next update, so I'm not starting from scratch.

18. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when you hover over the vacant fan fic boards hoping someone else will surface.[face_hypnotized]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  19. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017
    You wrote a scene in advance that probably won't even be in this fanfic, but in the next one instead, and since you changed some parts of the plot, the scene has lost it's purpose too, but you still wanna keep it because it is dramatic and shows how much your OC loves Luke.

20. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ...when, five drafts later, you oc starts talking about Apollo One as a metric for engineering knowledge. (Where did that come from? I made the mistake of reading a prelude comic.)

21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you absolutely can't understand her posts in this thread, but you can see that she loves what she's doing. ^^

DaenaBenjen42 likes this.
  22. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ...when you've written story out of order because that's the way it arrived. (I wouldn't have it any other way with this one. Hee. And yes. I'm loving what I'm doing. So, so much.)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  23. Togruta

Togruta Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    When you have Wookieepedia bookmarked.

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2004
    ...when reading other authors' fics make you wanna include their OCs in your own because they are too lovable not to. [face_love] [face_laugh]
    [face_dancing]

25. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017
    When you have random urges to cry when listening so a certain track, for no other explainable reason because it reminded you of a certain character's story in your fanfic.
    EDIT: Oh crap, this is a wrong topic, this was supposed to go to they "You know you're a fanfic writer when...". How did this even happen?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    Mistress_Renata likes this.