main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Vampi_Digitalwytch Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2004
    You're listening to the radio or a CD and suddenly a story idea or scene pops into your head.

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Love the "Name of the Force" or "Oh my force" comments. I'm even worse. When I get really mad, I yell out "Para el amor de la Fuerza!" "For the love of the Force" in spanish.

3. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    ...you constantly rewind/pause/zoom scenes on the DVDs just to find visual details on the background characters.

I'm very guilty of that one. ;)

4. Solo_but_not_alone

Solo_but_not_alone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2004
    Most of these I have done, at least once.

You know a profic writer wrte their book all wrong.

Work becomes the annoyance into your writing time.

you wish you had a mouse droid to get you coffee so you wouldn't have to leave your computer to get it.

you (and your like minded friends) all duck through doorways just to giggle. Because none of your troopers would ever hit their heads. Uh uh no way.

You have to translate you dinner conversation after realizing the person you are talking to doesn't read the fan fics.

When you rush home because something soooo hysterical happened today that the other ficers will get and you just have to post it.

Highway driving has become practice for writing space combat/navigation scenes.

Driving at night alone you push the 'hyperdrive'forward, push you body back in the seat and make the noise.

You get a good idea in the shower, stumble out with shampoo in hair, rush for a notepad to write it down, stub your toe, slip in the wet floor, get shampoo in eyes....and it is all worth it when you hit "post"

You have ever set up action figs so you would have the right visual angles for a scene.

You live for feedback, (I am a junkie) and check frequently just to see if people have replied and what they thought.

You got angry playing Star Wars trivia because none of the answers involved fanfic.

You linked this message board direct to your dekstop or it is your browser homepage.

Dark_Rebel_Princess likes this.
  5. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

...when you seriously consider changing the license plate of your car to YT-1300 :p

6. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Lady Padme... you can't do that in Cali... that style of designation is reserved for commercial vehicles only.... [face_blush]... Don't ask how I know that.

When 'Holy flying banthas!', 'Sweet Force', and 'Kriff' are a normal part of your vocabulary.

When bantha, kriff, blaster, jedi, sith, Coruscant, and hyperspace don't get underlined in red on your word processor.

When you have more than three fanfics open in your word processor at once.

7. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Driving at night alone you push the 'hyperdrive' forward, push you body back in the seat and make the noise.

LM*AO!! That's definitely me, except I pretend I'm in a speeder, or Anakin's Jedi starfighter, and I wait until the last second to turn the wheel so that I end up whipping around those country road curves...

...and the whole time I'm thinking, "Dude, now if only I could describe this, I'd have a cool action fic!" [face_laugh]

How about, when you hold your hairbrush, or for that matter anything else relatively cylindrical and big enough to accomodate your hands, and do the snap-hiss hummmmmmmmm and the wowwwmmmmmmm wowwwwwmmmmm as you choreograph your characters' moves.

8. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    . . . when you get up and fling yourself around the room in front of a mirror, checking that the fight moves make sense

. . . when you end up with 37 beginnings of stories on your computer and have no time to finish any of them

. . . and even if you did, you don't know where to start

. . . you allow your life to become dominated by updates and challenges

:D

9. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    ... Your default reaction to red squiggly lines is to 'Add to Dictionary'.

... The barista at the coffee shop reads over your shoulder.

... You continue typing until 3am trying to write the funniest dialog ever... but the next day wonder why you ever thought that would be funny.

... "Excuse me, where's the 'fresher?"

... You find yourself hungry for a dish from your OC's homeworld.

... Your OC is attracted to another character and you get jealous.

Minimilk likes this.
  10. Kettch_the_Jedi

Kettch_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 22, 2002

...you hear the word "bunny" and cringe

...you're in the middle of doing something (like a conversation) and a great humor dialogue/scene idea hits you and you start laughing really hard. The people around you ask what is wrong and you start to explain only to end with "Oh, nevermind. You wouldn't get it."

...you don't mind going to a boring class because you can use the time to finish writing a new post

...you get confused whether something is from an official book or whether it came from (yours or someone else's) fanfic

...you wake up in the morning and immediately wonder if you have to update any stories today

...after spending eight hours at work programming the first thing you do when you get home is get back on the computer to see if you have any responses to your latest post

...you see/hear something and begin to think "What if..." and then immediately cut yourself off because you already have too many stories going.

This is fun. :) Great thread idea. :)

11. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    Your default reaction to red squiggly lines is to 'Add to Dictionary'. Guilty...

Whenever the green line pops up you immediatly click 'ignore rule' because of dialogue...

You have at least two disks and three notepads...

12. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Friends or family ask you what you did last night, and you lie and say something else when you actually spent all evening working on or reading fan fic. :p

13. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    - when you've got your OC and canon names programed into your Word dictionary so they don't pop up w/ a red line under them.

Add to that, planet names, weapons and alien words.

My Custom dictionary reads like a day at Skywalker Ranch...

14. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

When bantha, kriff, blaster, jedi, sith, Coruscant, and hyperspace don't get underlined in red on your word processor.

When you have more than three fanfics open in your word processor at once.

*raises hand* Guilty as charged, Lilith ... hhehehehehee. Don't forget lightsaber, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan .. Sith ....etc etc they're all programmed in too ;) along with my OC's names I got tired of seeing the red lines ;)

Edit -- When you're somewhere important and the only thing on your mind is rushing home to see if you got anymore reviews for the story you posted that morning....

15. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    . . . when you get so sick of red and/or green squiggly lines, you turn the auto-spellcheck off

. . . when you start dreaming about fanfic :eek:

16. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    When you are very protective of your OC's and speak about them as if they're real people. [face_worried]

17. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Here's one: When you start thinking what your work place would look like with a Death Star blasting it's way threw the roof. [face_devil]

Edit: Speeling 8-}

18. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    ...you have a really cool Star Wars dream, or any cool dream for that matter, and your first thought upon waking up is to write it down so that you can turn it into a plot for a fic.

And I have dreamed many times about other people's stories.

OE: :eek: What? You mean they're not real???

19. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    ...you put the kids to bed, pour a glass of wine, cuddle up with your husband on the couch......and brainstorm about the outline of your fic. [face_blush]

(I should mention that my husband also writes fanfic and totally understands - thank the Force. ;))

20. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    When you lie in bed at night writing out your next post in your head.

Everytime you see an interesting name, you write it down and keep it to use for you next OC.

When you annoy your friends asking, ?How does that line work? Should I reword it??

All you family and friends know if they interrupt you while you're writing they risk losing their head. ( I can get very cranky if someone breaks in while I'm working on my fics.)

You have at least five plot ideas running through your head right now.

Everytime a new song comes on the radio, you wrack your brain to figure out how to make it into a songfic.

When you read a novel, you spend most of your time picking it apart, imagining how a fan fic author could have written it so much better.

You take up martial arts just so you can get your fight scenes down right.

When your computer crashes and you discover your fan fics have all been lost, you spend the next few weeks in counseling.

- when you've got your OC and canon names programed into your Word dictionary so they don't pop up w/ a red line under them.

I?m guilty of that. SW planet names and characters can all be found in my Word Dic.

You continue typing until 3am trying to write the funniest dialog ever... but the next day wonder why you ever thought that would be funny.

I know what you mean. I spent five hours writing a chapter once only to delete it the next day.

You get confused whether something is from an official book or whether it came from (yours or someone else's) fanfic

That one happens to me all the time.

21. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    When you think every blizzard makes it look like you're going through hyperspace.

I am guilty of the "Fling yourself around the room to make sure the fight moves make sense" one, though usually, it's me choreographing my lightsaber duels in about 5 feet of space, mostly I sit here and dance in my seat.

22. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    When your computer desk is weighed down by at least a reem of paper from old stories, or stories in progress.

23. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    You can contribute at least three new ideas to this list....

24. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    ......When you watch episode one and think of your fanfic.

......When you do martial arts and think about Mara Jade and other Jedi and not only that but try one of their moves. :D I'm guilty as charged on this one.

......When certain music brings a fanfic your writing to mind.

25. Kettch_the_Jedi

Kettch_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 22, 2002
    You can contribute at least three new ideas to this list....

lol! :) [face_guilty]