main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Renata you've left me the perfect lead in..

When you get the chance to meet an actor (James Marsters-Spike in Buffy) and ask him to sign a pic of him manipulated to look like a fanfic OC-- Barin Truthfinder. {HaiGan's OC--so perhaps that's reading too much fanfic :D :D

When you talk about fanfic so much at work that co-workers not only know your author name, they make nicknames for it...

2. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    I've got to print this thread and make my family read it so they'll believe me when I say I'm not the only person who does these things! :D

3. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    You say you have Writer's Block instead of you're bored...

when you're doing nothing you immediatly begin to thing of a plot...

4. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

You've memorized the web addresses of at least eight fan fiction sites.

You spent three hours searching the attic for your grade school grammar book just so you could help someone beta their fic.

You've created an entire websites simply to post your fics.

5. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    You know exactly what all the little abbreviations mean....without looking at the newbie front page ..

L/M J/J H/C etc etc etc ...

6. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    H/C worries me. Please clarify before my imagination takes over. XD;

So many of these apply to me it's scary, by the way.... 0.o;;

7. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    1. After posting a new instalment you keep reloading to see if you have any feedback.

2. When you log on, you go straight to the Saga list to see where your fic is, rather than going straight to your fic to see if there is any feedback.

3. You start talking about events in SW at work and then realise that no one knows what you are talking about coz you were refering to events in your fic.

4. Your story has a theme song, that sums up everything in the story and you listen to it when you need inspiration.

5. You do tons of research on archaeology because it features in your new fic.

6. When an idea strikes in the middle of the night, you jump out of bed to write it down.

ThisIsMe1138 likes this.
  8. Lady-Kenobi

Lady-Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2003
    I agree with AERYN_SUN's comment

I ALSO write on scraps of paper when insperation strikes.

9. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    1) (this is old)...I've become such a bad influence I've got my mother dreaming about Chewbacca's wife wearing neon scarves and a purse (and I'm dreaming about Vader and Luke playing Wimbeldon :eek: 8-}).

2)...I'll spend $40 on a leatherbound and gold-gilt archival journal just to try curing my DarthWriter'sBlock.

3)...the daily shower has long since become Plot Bunny Session 101.

ThisIsMe1138 likes this.
  10. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I sleep with a pad of paper and a pen by my bed and I've gotten very good at writing in the dark. I'm not the world's best sleeper and so if inspiration strikes I jot down a few notes and then try to get back to sleep. Last night I was so tired that I ignored my paper and assured myself I would remember what the muse had whispered in my ear. Now she's ticked off and keeping silent. Stupid muse! I'm sorry! I didn't mean it! You're lovely, Muse, truly lovely.

Please come back and whisper that line again, will you?

11. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Vampi_Digitalwytch Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2004
    LOL at the shower being Plot Bunny session 101. For me it's housework. At this point my hubby knows if he sees me on a chair dusting the ceiling fans, it's a bad bout and to walk carefully or he'll get the 'You blew my train of thought' rant.

12. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Plot bunny session for me is driving to work but, of course, you can't write it down while you're dodging trucks. By the time I get there, the bunny has died and is road pizza.

13. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    To me the plot bunny sessions are in the shower, and while sitting on my hammock.

14. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I get some of my best plot bunnies while running. But it's really hard to write them down while running! :D

15. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Mini-tape recorders, guys. It's the way to go. Walking to class, driving to work, laying in bed half awake... grab the tape recorder and talk, then go back to what you were doing.... much easier than paper and the bunny doesn't escape.

16. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    My inspiration seems to come mostly from songs, so I try to madly write things down while listening. Ugh! Very chancy while driving!

17. Calandria

Calandria Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    *winces* so many of those apply to me... it's almost pathetic...

- when you hand in an entry to a short story contest (original fics only) has your SW OC's creeping in...

- when your brother sets you straight about an OC... cause after all he did name her.

- when the backs of recipes are covered in scribbles that eventually will be that next post you just have to make...

- when you have baby name sites bookmarked... not cause you're pregnant but because of the unlikely case of not being able to come up with a decent OC name...

- you know what an OC is :p

ThisIsMe1138 likes this.
  18. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    H/C? I'm going to assume that's a Han/Chewie fic of a non-romantic nature. I'm sure that's it cuz I've never read a Hobbie/Callista fic.

19. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Actually it means hurt comfort but that's ok :p Han/Chewie of a non romantic nature works too :D

20. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    OK, OK, because Han/Callista was coming HORRIBLY to mind there....
    x.X
    heh.

...when your sister uses the phrase "honesty's the best policy", and you immediately think of the constructive criticism thread in this forum.

21. thegreatyoda

thegreatyoda Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    When at 9PM you say to yourself "I'll do my homework after this post.

When at 3AM on the same night you find yourself telling your parent "I'll go to bed after this paragraph!".

ThisIsMe1138 likes this.
  22. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    "When you know what an oc is."

Or when you come back from 19 months of no media contact and think "OC? Oh, they have a show about...Original Characters? I don't get it."

23. Jaina_Solo_15

Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 5, 2002
    [face_blush] Yikes, I'm guilty of that one.

24. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    Actually it means hurt comfort

Oh thank goodness. I was getting fearful of having bad dreams about Wookie-luv.

25. JalendaviLady

JalendaviLady Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    ... when you know how to get rid of the little red lines.

... when you spend breaks while writing academic papers writing fanfiction.