main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Calandria

Calandria Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    ... when you spend breaks while writing academic papers writing fanfiction.

sooooooooo guilty of that one...

2. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I'm too ashamed to use a mini-tape recorder because I just know I'll start making all the voices... [face_blush] [face_laugh]

(I used to do that when I was a kid. :p)

3. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    I'm guilty of so many of these that its not even funny- its hilarious!!! [face_laughs]

... Your english teacher has to tell you to stop writing stories, although gramatically correct stories (riight), during her class...

...you meet someone with the same name as your OC and start comparing them...

4. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    ... Your math class hates you because you repeatedly get caught writing fanfic in class by the teacher and then there's consequences for the entire class. But the good thing is that the teacher oonly catches your 1 time out of 5.

:Targeter:

5. -Erela-

-Erela- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2004
    ... Your english teacher has to tell you to stop writing stories, although gramatically correct stories (riight), during her class...

...you meet someone with the same name as your OC and start comparing them...

Oh my gosh...so guilty of these two, although luckily I've never been caught writing my grammatically correct stories in english.

And I not only compare people with the same names as my OCs, I compare random people sharing the smallest characteristic with my OCs. And there have been several occasions where I've come very close to answering to a male OC's name. That's always interesting.

6. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    When you're a work looking at a list of chemicals and thinking they'd make great OC names.... I was doing that today!

7. TheBothanJedi

TheBothanJedi Jedi Master star 2

May 16, 2004
    Han/Chewie of a non romantic nature works too

I honestly thought it was of romantic relationship. That had ne worried. Slash or fur-fetish alone are one thing, but slash and fur-fetish together is a little too much... *pukes at the thought*

8. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    ...you know how to get the accent over the e in Padmé and various other Naboo related names. ;)

9. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    When you're a work looking at a list of chemicals and thinking they'd make great OC names....

I do that too! :D

10. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Alas, Ander, my laptop doesn't do the Alt codes. And Yoda knows I've tried!!! :)

Anyone have more?

11. JediLeeora

JediLeeora Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Sorry dubble postie...only backwards for some reason..

12. JediLeeora

Jun 22, 2004
    This is one I'am guilty of: On the back of every school paper you have there is either a short story or a detailed drawing of a scene/character. [face_blush]
    Also: You day dream about your characters and actually incorperate them into your every day life...and every now and then you write an evil and sadistic story about torturing obi-wan.....

13. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Let me just say that there is a disturbing amount of stereotypical fangirlism in this thread.

I especially hate summaries such as, "hi this is sumthin i rote bout me n leggy during maths".

The quality at this board tends to be better, luckily. :p

You know you're a fan fiction writer when you want to flame someone for telling a horrible story - audially.

14. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

When you're a work looking at a list of chemicals and thinking they'd make great OC names....

* grins * Okay, I don't look at chemicals per se, but drugs make great names for planets :D

15. -Erela-

-Erela- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2004
    On the back of every school paper you have there is either a short story or a detailed drawing of a scene/character.
    Also: You day dream about your characters and actually incorperate them into your every day life...

Very, very guilty

16. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Something I'm guilty of; when you start complaining to your characters for not behaving the way you want them too, and act like they have a mind of their own and can take over your writing. :p

17. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Something I'm guilty of; when you start complaining to your characters for not behaving the way you want them too, and act like they have a mind of their own and can take over your writing.

Guitly!

And hey! Math class is the perfect place to write fanfiction. I mean come on, listen to the teacher drone on and on or play around with SW characters?

:Targeter:

18. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    That's only if you're lucky enough to have an easy math class.

Your favorites/bookmarked sites are mostly fanfictions, or somehow fanfiction related.

19. JediLeeora

Jun 22, 2004
    You have more than 5 notebooks full of fanfic stories that you never will post... [face_blush]

20. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    You have more than 5 notebooks full of fanfic stories that you never will post...

Oh, the agony of that... :_| But in my case, it's an industrial-sized 3" binder, a bunch of notebooks/journals, and one ratty over-stuffed folder! :eek:

21. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    This is why I write my stuff on the computer.

22. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    I have one small notebook that has a couple stories in them, I kinda just left them. And then I have another notebook that I'm working on writing right now. I generally write the stories that I write when I'm bored in them.

23. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    When you feel like a deer caught in headlights when someone (who has never heard of fanfic and thinks SW is kids' stuff) asks what you do all day at home, and you have to quick think up some plausible fabrication.

When you make a point to watch the credits on a movie or TV show (or scan through the newspaper) just to look for odd-sounding names.

24. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Similar to ^^^ ...your mom calls you and asks what you're doing, and you say, "I'm checking my email." [face_blush] "Reading" is also another good excuse.

Ummmm...when you scan through the newspaper looking for interesting articles that you can warp into posts if you have writer's block? Hehe... [face_blush] Well hey, at least it gets me reading the paper. :D

... when you spend breaks while writing academic papers writing fanfiction.

Heh, I take breaks from fanfic to write papers. [face_laugh]

25. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Most of my moments of realizing I'm a fanfic writer come when I find myself asking for information to make my stories more accurate.

For instance, I asked some microbiologists at my former lab job how one would go about testing an unknown substance for virus. I got a long, detailed answer that made me realize how far I'd sunk. :p

Another time I was asking my mom (a physician) about something pregnancy related, again for my fanfic. She got suspicious that I was hiding something before I told her it was for my story. When she rolled her eyes at me I realized I was addicted to fanfic. ;)

Jae O:)