main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. LittleMissNightsaber

LittleMissNightsaber Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2009
    I say kriff a lot. When I spill something for instance, 'Kriff'.
    When you get a plot bunny while swimming or scootering. I also look at fanart for inspiration. One of my fics 'Snowsuits' was inspired by fanart.

2. kellilb

kellilb Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2005
    When you had a really vivid dream that gives you a fanfic idea, and you spend the first ten minutes after you wake up feverishly writing down everything before you forget.

3. TylaMoore

TylaMoore Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2009
    When your best friend's addicion to another series causes you to have mutant plot bunnies that includes a very strange crossover.

-Tyla

4. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    when your favorite current song is begging to be made into a songfic...and begging...and begging...and is relentless.

5. emerald54

emerald54 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 4, 2007
    In your comparative lit class you have to explain that you didn't really mean to write Droid in place of Druid, it's just a... habit?

When you start taking classes based on what your next fic is going to be.[face_blush]

6. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW you write less and less, but you hone your stories to their bare minimum wordcount. Sometimes even drabbles seem too wordy.o_O

7. mujapple-juicey

mujapple-juicey Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2008
    when neighbors start looking like stormtroopers, which sets off yet another undeveloped plot bunny

8. darkladypurplepencil

darkladypurplepencil Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 16, 2006
    When you were on this thread since the pages were in the 20s... and you still agree with what's being said....

Also, totally love the comp lit reference. I always try to build whatever I'm reading in comp lit into mu fanfics. Next semester will be interesting given that my classes are Medieval Literature and The Rennaisance.

DLPP

9. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when reading the plot bunny adoption thread while recovering from writer's block is a hazardous activity.

10. emerald54

Apr 4, 2007
    When your bag is stolen, and your not upset by the possible loss of your textbooks, homework, food, and the spare ten in the front pocket, but the thought of someone daring to steal the USB drive full of stories has you running after them with a shriek and a "completely fracking scary" look."

So, in reflection, I may have just edged beyond weird and into full blown crazy.

Emerald

EDIT:

You realize you have to rewrite your notes for biology, because they're covered in sketches and bits of fanfiction. 50 pages of notes and counting...

11. CelseteAntola

CelseteAntola TF.N Books Staff star 3 VIP

May 18, 2002
    ...When every song you listen to turns into a soundtrack for a chapter of the fic you're writing.

...When you spend your time in a boring and pointless class writing fan fic in your notebook, and the teacher tells you how impressed they are by the fact that you're so industriously taking notes. :D

~Celeste

12. darkladypurplepencil

darkladypurplepencil Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 16, 2006
    ... when you manage to get paid by your job for hosting a fanfiction writing workshop.

Yeah, it happened. One of my proudest "accomplishments" on my job resume.

DLPP

13. DreamingIce

DreamingIce Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 8, 2005
    ... when you manage to get paid by your job for hosting a fanfiction writing workshop.

Yeah, it happened. One of my proudest "accomplishments" on my job resume.

Wha...? I wish I could do something like that! :D

...When you've been absent from the boards for over a year, return to find this thread still going strong and making you feel all nostalgic.

...When cleaning out your room after about 5 years, the items that have you reminicing the most aren't so much the hilarious artworks, but your collection of old ficcing journals and assorted scraps. (and you freak out when your 'rents look like their gonna bin them!)

14. dark_jedi_lover

dark_jedi_lover Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 25, 2004
    ...when you have arguments with your spell-checker ("What do you mean Tatooine isn't a real word?")

...when your spell-checker no longer argues with you

15. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    [face_laugh]

Or "Obi-Wan" is too a name and takes the singular verb. Take that, spell check, it's "Obi-Wan is" not "Obi-Wan are." (same goes for Qui-Gon.)

Or Sith is too capitalized and don't tell me it's not and you can't add "Sith" rather than "sith" into the dictionary.

Oh, yeah. :D

16. DreamingIce

Aug 8, 2005
    On the theme of spell checkers...

...When one of the most traumatic things about getting used to your shiny new laptop is having to rebuild your custom ficcing dictionary. Lightsaber is so a word you damn thing! :mad:

...When you have written something to the soundtrack of 'Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog'. [face_blush] ('My Eyes', 'Brand New Day', 'Slipping' and 'Everything You Ever')

~Misha

17. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    [face_good_luck]... there is a new canon character, Duchess Satine, debuting tonight on The Clone Wars and you have a whole backstory ready for her, despite squinching your eyes to avoid spoilers, and you haven't even met her yet.:rolleyes:

18. Exxaciel

Exxaciel Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    I've been gone a year and this son-of-a-Sith thread is STILL going? Wow.

YNYAFFWW...

You are seriously considering posting stuff here (that was posted elsewhere two years ago but is still quite good) because you want reviews to inspire you.

You can organize a crossover between Star Wars, Stargate, and the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and have done so successfully.

You've taken three stabs at a single fanfic and still can't get the thing to work, which is annoying when it's the prequel to your trilogy...

You create your own forum so you and your co-writer have a place to stash all your fanfics

You no longer find it wierd when your characters dictate your life.

You can add to this after reading through it on and off over the course of four or five years.

19. TriaKiryu

TriaKiryu Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2009
    Don't know if this had been added yet or not:

-- When you're trying to start a pro-writing career, but every-time you start writing you end up working on your fanfic.

-- If buy notebooks to write only fanfiction in, and remember to carry them more often than you remember the notebooks with your original fiction work.

-- After a long day of writing and working on original stuff, when you can't even think of writing another word and your hands hurt, you relax by writing fanfic.

20. DreamingIce

Aug 8, 2005
    You are seriously considering posting stuff here (that was posted elsewhere two years ago but is still quite good) because you want reviews to inspire you.
    ...Totally guilty there... [face_blush]

And yes, I was a little surprised to see this thread still going too...

21. TriaKiryu

TriaKiryu Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2009
    -- You start out thinking your going to start writing fanfic again just for a little fun,a nd then start planning a full on rewrite of the PT movies.

-- You start digging out old notebooks that your packed away to see if there's any ideas yo want to use now and have to stop yourself from using every single one of them.

22. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    ...you find yourself doing the mundane stuff that you do every week (i.e. laundry at the coin laundry) and you wonder "do clones have to wash their own stuff?" and then you decide to write something.

23. emerald54

Apr 4, 2007
    When the graphs in math become inspiration.

When the subject your on in history makes you completely jump the boat on all your other fics.

24. Salacious_Drabb

Salacious_Drabb Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 24, 2007
    You begin conversations with, "Quick, give me some fandoms!" to get ideas.

25. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    And, TriaKiryu, simply staying in the writing mode helps your pro-writing! Whatta concept!