Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. LouQuinn Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Gahh, this so happened to me. I seemed to remember my best friend itching to strangle me because I write so many fan fiction on my journal, but only few of them are finished. LOL.
  2. Kit' Manager Emeritus

star 5
    When ten years (I kid you not) after you write a fic you decide to rewrite and repost it because hindsight being the marvellous thing it is, you've decided that the ending really doesn't suit after all.

Kithera
  3. LouQuinn Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    ah, yes, i distinctly remember this happening to me, when i rewrite the story i've written 4 years ago. but seriously, 10 years? that was... something
  4. Kit' Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Yeah LouQuinn, I must admit that it is a bit odd. It started off as a random idea last year that reposting it on the 10 year anniversary would be cool. Then I picked it up and read what my 16 year old self thought was the most awesome story I'd ever written and realised that it needed a *bit* of polishing. Polishing has turned into a rewrite of bits and an attempt at better characterisation.

Maybe that's the answer, what makes you a fan fic writer? That constant search for the perfect story :p

Kithera
  5. LouQuinn Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    hm, i guess more like a "you know you're a writer when..." because apart from fan fiction, i write several projects for my literature class, though i haven't find any qualified beta reader other than my loyal best friend, Zee. and it always happened that way, when I got stuck with a story, i would leave it at that, and then 2 years later, i'll rewrite the story, since I've got a different perspective both in life and in the story. oh, and by the way, call me Lou :)
  6. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    ...when five years after dropping a story and moving on to others, you pick it up again for the diary challenge and discover that it rocks in first person.
  7. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    you are already making drawings for the next fic and haven't finished the current project also needing some pictures
  8. TylaMoore Jedi Knight

star 1
    When you swear to yourself that you're going to stop writing fanfiction to focus solely on original work and somehow one...or two...of 30 of your fanfiction notebooks ends up in your bag anyway. I never can seem to stay away from the Kotor. ><

On the other hand, I can't believe this thread is still going. I thought it had died. o_O
  9. emerald54 Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Um... Hello?

Anyways, YKYAFFWW for your SGA fic, you end up temporarily naming one of your ships Ebon Hawk... and it sticks. (McKay hasn't forgiven me yet.)

You refuse to get rid of a few shirts, because 'they belong to your OCs.'

10. Wifflesnip Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hah, I totally do this, look at clothing items and think, "they would definitely wear this", including my brown boots I bought solely because they make me feel more Jedish; every-time someone compliments me on them little do they know they are just feeding my inner nerd :p

11. MsLanna Force Ghost

star 6
    ... when you rat the quality of a film/book/series on how well it is suited for fanfic.
    Anything with plot-holes, ambiguity and several possible ships is great!:-B
  12. J_Girl Force Ghost

star 4
    When ten years (I kid you not) after you write a fic you decide to rewrite and repost it because hindsight being the marvellous thing it is, you've decided that the ending really doesn't suit after all.

Kithera

We are on the same exact wavelength! Thank the Force, it's not just me! :D One of the fics I posted here 10 years ago needs a better ending and I just decided I need to do that recently.

So, you know you are a fanfiction writer when you still think about fics your wrote 10 years ago and you still want to improve them! The fact you are still writing fanfiction is remarkable in itself.
  13. Salacious_Drabb Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Here's one that goes the opposite direction. You know you're NOT a shipper when you see a story here labeled J/Z and -- for just a second, mind -- think it's about the subway line.
  14. Katana_Sundancer Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh, that is so kriffing annoying! I always have that problem.

Another one -

YKYAFFWW...

You write a piece that *everyone* says is fantastic and could be used for pro-fic... but you think it's too perfect for your fanfic to 'waste'.
  15. Tempe_Brennan Jedi Padawan

You know you're a fan fiction writer when...

You stay up all night either writing or trying to come up with new ideas.

You know you should be writing that English essay, but you need to finish writing this chapter...and the next...and the next...and so on and so forth.

Your excuse for not going out with your friends is "Too busy writing."

You and your (loveably geeky) friends have get-together where you do nothing but write, talk about writing, and read each others work.

You have a file on your computer that is an index of all your friends and relatives who you can go to for research and information.
  16. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    YKYAFFWW...

You read The DaVinci Code and get Doctor Who plot bunnies based on The Big Bang episode.

You refer to all of the 'deleted scenes' from your novel-in-progress as your 'fanfics to be.'

You should have been done with said novel months ago, but haven't finished it because you've been writing that as well as fics for Doctor Who, Twilight, Harry Potter AND Transformers.

Your characters in said novel have in-jokes that you only get once you link them to fanfic.
  17. pronker Force Ghost

star 3
    Yes, and you realize that your fic-verse is coherent in your mind, a separate piece of reality to visit or use for references for your pro-writing. Most satisfying!
  18. Solus_Cheese Jedi Padawan

Yes, very much so. Especially if you're OCD and the red and green squigglies drive you mad because they ruin the overall neatness. :p

Ah, let's see, YKYAFFWW...

You look up random cultures and/or geography on Wikipedia to help you formulate your original planet/country.
  19. Ermione-de-Verne Jedi Master

star 1
    ... when you write essay for Russian or English language lesson or Literature lesson and then you are waiting for a review from your teacher:)

... when you are writing fanfic as a birthday present. Especially when it`s your Beta`s birthday. Especially when your Beta is your best friend
  20. darkladypurplepencil Force Ghost

star 2
    ...When your decision to be with a significant other rests on the fact that they accept/understand/like your fanficcing ways. (Going through that with the new boy now... good thing he's already an EU fan.)

Cheers,
    DLPP
  21. Estora Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    ...when you scour Wookieepedia and buy as many SW books and comics as you can to piece together a canon timeline so you can mess it up for an AU. :D
  22. iceaffinity Jedi Master

star 1
    ...when you read non-fiction history books and think, "Ooooh, this so parallels what I'm writing about! Dictators are bad!" [face_not_talking]

...when you spend entirely too much time debating the origins of slash with RL friends, and why you would or would not include it in your fic.

...slogging through a ten page research paper completely wears your brain out - and when you're done writing it, you promptly open up your current fic to write another ten pages.

...you use reference sources that are not the Wookiepedia to do research.

...you incorporate actual fighting techniques you learned in karate class to make your fight scenes better. O:)
  23. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    ... when you play the JC House Cup (go Team Slytherin!) and claim almost all of the fan fiction tasks. [face_whistling]
  24. pronker Force Ghost

star 3
    ... when voting begins on 'The Saga' fanfiction 2010 [face_idea] entries and you cheerily jog to the voting booth!!
  25. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    ... when you volunteer to help run the awards. :p 8-}
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade