main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD You know you're a geek when...

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by morgan-aleghieri, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Actually, unless the names are mentioned in one of the "prophetic" books of the old testiment, the wise men didn't actually have names. In fact, we only assume there is three of them because of what we've been taught (although I believe the number of 3 did come from Isaiah... But it ain't in the gospels where everyone thinks it is...)

But traditionally, those are the names attributed to the three wise men of Biblical, err, fame. [face_plain] [face_worried] [face_whistling]

2. RoGuE_StreaK

RoGuE_StreaK Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2005
    YKYAGW... You actually try to make a map of your workplace for some Q2 (in PaintBall guise) fun...

(Haven't completed it though, too much work lately)

3. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    You want to build a 3rd computer so you can network them together and give them the hostnames Casper, Balthazar and Melchior.

5 points to the first person to get that reference.

"God's In His Heaven... All's Right With The World" [face_whistling]

Pffft, come back when you're worthy :p

Lozza did technically get it first though, after all she did mention the Magi =D=

YKYAGW:

You wonder why you don't have one of these already.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

4. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    I so want one. I'm not a Doctor Who nut-job like some around here... but that is way too cool.

5. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Coolest USB hub I've seen :) Mind you, an R2 one would be better...

6. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    ARGH! Cursed work internet filters! Will revel in geekishness when get home.

YKYAGW you overhear your boss going on about "The Revolution" and you instantly think this:

'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy defines the marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation as "a bunch of mindless jerks who'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes," with a footnote to the effect that the editors would welcome applications from anyone interested in taking over the post of robotics correspondent.

Curiously enough, an edition of the Encyclopaedia Galactica that had the good fortune to fall through a time warp from a thousand years in the future defined the marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation as "a bunch of mindless jerks who were the first against the wall when the revolution came."'

7. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    "God's In His Heaven... All's Right With The World"

Well done, Magnus. You get da pointz.

Neon Genesis Evangelion, people. I mean, sheesh. :p The Magi are a trio of supercomputers that effectively run the Nerv organisation. The biblical naming is something of a theme around there.

8. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Evangelion is a series I have yet to catch up on, although given just the name of the series I can't say that the origin of the reference surprises me in the slightest.

9. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Indeed. It's laden with references to Christianity, but they're really just window dressing to give it a more spiritual edge and make it seem more mysterious and interesting. Well worth watching, regardless. It's one of those seminal animes that you just have to see, just to see what all the hype is about. I love it, personally, but it's not everyone's cup 'o tea.

10. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    And yet the ending still leaves questions... I've said too much [face_whistling]

11. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    What questions?? Rei is obviously made of chocolate... :p

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

12. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Hmmmmm, chocolate.... =P~ Arrrgghhhh :p

13. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    It's a valid interpretation, based on the presented evidence.

[face_solemn_nod]

14. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    So say you, but I beg to differ...

Can I huh? Please let me? :p

15. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    YKYAGW:

Going through the orders at work causes you to giggle when come acrosse such names as:
    Anderson
    Reynolds (and the best one ever!!!!)
    Underhill!!!!

I swear I freaked out that lady when she put in her order. I was like OMG, Underhill, are you serious!!! So freaking cool!!! :D

yup... Geek :p

Oh and also when one of the new girls at work recognises you as the Princess Leia from Supanova :p We got along really well though, and she's coming again this year - IN costume!!! :D

16. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Excellent, another convert... Or is that the other way around?

17. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    MS: I chuckled at a bumper sticker that read - "Your skill in reading just increased by one point"
    [face_laugh]

Morgs: YKYAGW you make a point of it when you're on the train to try and teleport to your intended destination...
    Oh yeah - I try that all the time - just hope it dosen't work when I'm in the shower one day... [face_worried]

RogueStreak: [Q2 map making of office]
    You use QOOLE? Or another program? I was an avid Q1/2 map maker back in the late 90s... [face_whistling]

LC: Underhill!!!!
    Y'see, I know it's fairly common around Geeky/SciFi, but my first 'underhill' reference is from a Sci-Fi novel about Mars. Might Google/Wiki that one...

18. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Hahahah

"The name Baggins in not safe outside Hobbiton"

Or something to that effect :p Yes, I am and always will be a bigger LotR geek than SW Sorry!!! *ducks*

19. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    That's okay, as long as you maintain vast knowledge in an area of one geekdom, we can slowly saturate you with SW knowledge in the intervening period ;)

20. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    It's a good filler :p

21. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    ...when you're beloved gives you a scale Danger Mouse model (Danger Mouse dragging Penfold away from the bomb) to add to the one that he gave you for Christmas (the Danger mouse car!).

Oh such a geek :D

Kithera

22. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Danger Mouse models!?! Where?? Where??

YKYAGW:

Your buddy yells out at you "No time for love, Doctor Jones!!" in an appropriate context.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

23. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Danger Mouse models? Awesome kit :) I miss that show...

Although I can brag, I do have Malcolm McGookin's signature along with a quick sketch of Count Duckula [face_dancing]

24. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    You may all find this place interesting. It's where Tim got my Danger Mouse figures and has lots and lots of stuff to salivate over. Almost as good as think geek!

Kithera

25. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Your buddy yells out at you "No time for love, Doctor Jones!!" in an appropriate context.

*Raises hand* I've done that. It made me feel extremely witty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.