You Know You're From Houston If . . .

Discussion in 'Houston, TX' started by Queenie Amidala, May 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. war_monger Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    i can be blamed for being a bad driver...
    i never use my turn signals- i don't want the other people to know my battle strategy (so true in houston)
  2. goldbubbly Jedi Master

star 4
    i'm a 'bad' driver too.

you know what I do? I drive.....

....the speed limit [face_shocked]
    ;)
  3. Fingorfin Jedi Master

star 4
    Speed limit? What is that? ;)
  4. Corran_the_Ruthless Jedi Padawan

Those are all so true! Also...you can fry an egg on the concrete in the middle of March!
  5. Qui Gon Moon Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I don't use turn signals in Houston either. I find that when I do some geek sees it and decides to go Mario Andretti and slam the pedal and get right next to me so I can't get over.

I'm a pretty aggressive driver but I have never been to a place where so many people are willing to risk life and limb to get ahead of one car on the freeway. I need to stop now...it's only 7:51 AM and just discussing this topic irritates me...

:cool:

6. sellars1996 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Actually, I would much rather deal with Houston drivers, even in rush hour, than those here in Round Rock or Austin. At least they have roads and multiple lanes to take people to where they need to go in Houston. It seems like Austin deliberately did not to keep people away, but the people came anyway, and it's an absolute nightmare because of it.
  7. Queenie Amidala Force Ghost

star 5
    Amen, and amen.

Austin (mind you, on the verge of entering the top ten most populated cities in the nation), likes to think of itself as a small town. They like their uniqueness, and they want to remain in their own little central "corner" of the state. They don't like newcomers or a growing city, yet they want the luxuries of the economy which those things bring with them. They want to have their cake and eat it too.

Austin roads are the biggest mess I have ever seen in my life. Instead of working to fix the problem of a vastly growing city, they somehow manage to make the road systems worse. "Oh, rush hour traffic? Well, we gotta shut I-35 down, Bob. I'm not sure why, but that's what we're supposed to do."

And my vent for today is now over. I will stay indoors today until after rush hour is over at 9 pm. ;)
  8. sellars1996 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Queenie Amidala, you're right on target.

I grew up in Dallas. When we'd go see my grandparents in Houston, I used to think Houston drivers were the worst I had seen. Then Austin started booming while I was finishing up my bachelor's degree and getting my law degree at UT. The once-laid back/small city lifestyle is gone, and gone for good. Now, Austin is not any different now from Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio except that there are no roads here, wages are lower, and taxes and the cost of living and housing are higher. (It's outrageous that a house that would cost $150,000.00 in Houston or Dallas goes for $200,000.00 here. But I have heard from developers that the City of Austin's regulatory practices are the reason for that.) Even with the dot com bust, people, particularly Californians, are still coming.

People drive just as aggressively in Austin as they do in the bigger cities, but they can't get anywhere any faster here so they just end up killing each other and thinning the herd. I have been stuck in traffic in Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio, and even at their worst, at least the traffic moves in those cities, but Mopac and I-35 are parking lots during rush hour and only inch forward little by little. Also, Austin's air and water aren't as pristine as the environmentalists and people here who liked to look down on Houston and the bigger cities would like to think.

If you close your eyes while driving along 183 or I-35 in Austin -- actually, don't close your eyes -- it looks exactly like Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas. The restaurants and stores are all the same. And on UT football weekends, half of the rest of the state is here anyway.

But then again, Austin has Leslie and all the colorful hippies that crawl out of the woodwork and their darkened holes for Eeyore's birthday party, so I guess it is still different and still ever so slightly eclectic.

But nothing will top Houston in August. I don't know how my father is still alive after growing up in Houston before air conditioning came along. Ahh, humidity.
  9. AlexiAlexander Jedi Knight

star 2
    My family doesn't air condition and some how we have all survived.
  10. Master-Omaj-Kadub Jedi Master

star 4
    Did I hear bad drivers.....?

If you don't have airconditioner's in your car you are a poor soul in TEXAS.....

"I will pray to the aircondition gods for you"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.