Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Sebulba2179, Jun 13, 2005.
You know you're reading a fanfic by Lusa_Thul when it's Raynar/Lusa and J/TK
You know you've read a fic by red_rose_knight if you want to bawl every time you see a white-haired old man sitting by himself. (Personal experience, I kid you not.)
Oh, and you know you're reading a fic by the Sith Academy crew if you've managed to simultaneously wet your pants and snort Pepsi into your frontal lobes. Sith Lords Kick Ass, baby.
(although one of my other reasons for picking minor characters is you have a bit more free reign in terms of characterisation. )
- There's always a great sense of humor in the fic. (Okay, so you're really rolling around of the floor cackling at the banter. )
- Relationships are real.
- There are reasonably regular updates
- Most of the stories end relatively happy
- The angst is so thick you're wallowing in it for hours and you need major fluff to counter-act it, but you still want MORE.
- You wonder why on earth that publishers aren't beating down her door and getting her to turn profic.
- The descriptions make you forget where you are and what time it is and all you can see is the imagery.
- Jag/Kyrn just is sooo right.
- both the Solo twins are scary.
Edit: my spelling is a bit... crazy right now
Much anger in him, like his fanfics...
You know you're reading a fanfic by JadeLotus when: you are struck by the exquisite imagery and don't even care if it ever gets to a character or not.
...Vaderlvr64 when: you're laughing so hard, you're spewing chocolate milk out your nose.
...obaona when: you like her AU much better than the canon and wonder if you could persuade George to give her a call.
You know you're reading a fic by...
Kenobi_Kid when you're having to ration the laughing smileys in your review.
maychorian when you feel indescribably warm and happy at the Qui/Obi interaction.
Master_Keralys when you're slightly confused at first, but you don't care, because the action is just so awesome. And then when it all makes sense, it's even better.
Quiet_Mandalorian when an update singlehandedly makes your day - or your entire week.
-AUs are so much better than profic.
-Her stories have a theme, and you walk away learning something from them.
-Luke and Mara become your preferred otp.
-She makes you think of Ben Skywalker as a real character with a lot of possibilities.
-No one else writes Ben like she can.
-She doesn't write mere fan fiction, she writes evocative, gripping works of literature that just happen to have Star Was in them.
-She explores the nuances and hidden details of all her characters, and gives you the bigger picture.
-She was the person who made you fall in love with Mara in the first place.
-You feel emotional, but in a good way, after reading her stories.
Oh, I missed this thread for the longest time! oqi, thanks for the warm ?n? fuzzy shout-out in your 12/5/05 post. You?re so incredibly spot-on with all those others.
Speaking of, you know you?re reading a fic by oqidaun when?
?You end up more knowledgeable about the culture of a region of space than what you learn in actual history class.
?You read a suspenseful update with your hand on the mouse and it ends up just a little sweaty
?There is both love and blunt trauma in just the right amounts.
?Your brain explodes.
You know you're reading a fic by...
Artanis: when you find your response elevated to poetry in honour of its beauty
Master_Keralys: when you feel guilty about not having replied to the previous three chapters
Kenobi_Kid: when you say "that's hilarious; now get out of the freaking chair and let me write!"
...Biggles! Biggles! Biggles!
...there's a swift left turn into heavy emotional angst and you're left in shock.
...did I mention that it usually takes place a really long time before ANH?
...Luke has followed Mara to the dark side.
...Hogan and Leia seem like they'd make a good couple.
...there are Killiks.
You know you're reaging a fic by...
Apailana when there's a handmaiden or Queen of Naboo involved or even mentioned.
Kenobi_Kid when you realise that you're not the only one who loves to make fun of The Anderson. And it is true that you have to limit yourself on the laughing faces...
Quiet_Mandalorian when (a) you have a strange urge to start singing Vode An
and (b) when it hasn't been updated since January...James, we must work on that...
You have just made my day.
When you begin feeling the same burning passion as the characters.
When you(I) begin crying in the middle of the fic.
You know, they have an ointment for that now.
Time to try my hand at this...
You know you're reading a fic by:
- you realize nothing you write will every be as good as what she does
- Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan actually make sense in fic.
- what she writes should be cannon
- her characters aren't just cookie-cutter prints
- you learn something new about each character in every chapter
- her prose leaves you breathless
- you squeal with pleasure when you see a new viggie from her
- you ache inside because her words are so pretty
- her prose is like poetry
- she makes every sentence have meaning
- you cry everday when there isn't an update on that fic you've been reading *hint hint*
- you shake your head in wonder because you don't understand how she got so good
- when even her viggies have a lesson so well described
- her characters seem to jump off the page at you
- her AUs are better than canon
And I'm sure I'll have more later.
You know you're reading something by -Tenel-Ka- when...
1. Jacen and TK make out.
2. Gadell is there.
3. It's mushy and angsty.
4. When you see the XD and instantly recognize her from Kriff This.
You know you're reading something by FanakinSolo when...
1. Kyp Charger is there.
1b. He makes a snarky/quick/funny remark.
2. Chlemilyn is there.
2b. Girl power, ooh ooh!
3. Some crazy new OC comes into existance.
4. Someone gets shot in the head.
5. There is a code.
5b. For mining ships, it's GA-hundred-ten-one.
5c. It's encased in .
You know you're reading a fic by JediLoverwhen
1) you crack you jaw from laughing so much
2) you try to wrap around your mind around her convoluted plots and twisted ideas and end up going 'ewwwwwww' or see 1)
You know you're reading a fic by RK_Striker_5 when . . .
-Sailor Moon has been crossed with Star Wars and you don't want to throw up.
-It seems prefectly plausible for Han and Data to be best friends.
-You read the Star Trek/Star Wars crossover and you don't even think about which sci-fi epic is better.
-Ben is the most tortured person in the galaxy.
-Jacen is scourage of the entire universe.
-Han dies and there is no complaints.
-You are willing to speed through two-three pages of replies and then read long chapters, and you only feel bliss.
-The OCs are as fully-formed as canon characters.
-You wish Anakin truly had been brought back to life.
-You get the feeling you'll never write anything better than her.
-Even the smallest vignette has a moral for us all.
-You get the feeling she is the best talent to ever posted in theforce.net.