Before You?ll Be In My Heart (A series of Qui/Obi vignettes) *Complete*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Glenstorm, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Glenstorm Jedi Knight

star 1
    Valairy Scot: Trouble is I like living in anticipation of your replies, so I'm just going to have to keep on writing. Be that a blessing or not. :D

Gkilkenny: Thank you! And he certainly will, my friend, starting with this next vignette. :)

Qui-Gina-Jinn: Thanks a lot! More is here. :D

jedidas3: Aha! Welcome, my friend. Don't worry about the first post. I know what it's like to fall behind on a story ;) Just glad you could make it! Consider yourself added to my PM list. @};-

Bastet: No problem! Thanks for the wonderful reply. Believe me when I say a value each and every one.
    They keep the plot bunnies fed and watered! [:D]

OK, next part...

Exhaustion dogged Qui-Gon?s steps as he made his way back from the Council debriefing. The mission to Bandomeer had tested him severely. Both physically and emotionally.

Who'd have thought that that unlikely backwater planet could have changed his life so completely. In so short a time it had forced him to confront his own bitter past and finally face up to the approaching future.

And now all he wanted to do was retire, reflect and? sleep.

But no, he had one more duty to perform. A most important ceremony.

Silently he glanced over his shoulder at the young boy following softly in his footsteps. His senses told him that his new Padawan was also having trouble fighting sleep?s siren call, even as he carried his small bag of belongings to his new home and life in Qui-Gon?s quarters. The mission had been no easier on Obi-Wan than it had been on him. Maybe harder, due in no small part to himself.

Letting the shame for his behaviour wash through him, Qui-Gon promised himself that he would try his hardest to set things right for this boy. Starting this instant. By the time he was finished this evening Obi-Wan Kenobi would no longer have any doubts as to where he belonged. He had to hope for that with all his heart.

The pair reached the Master?s quarters and Qui-Gon palmed the door open. He had not stayed in these rooms for a long time and was not surprised when he was greeting by a cool, impersonal atmosphere. The homely feel that the place had enjoyed in years past was gone.

A bit like himself in recent years, he supposed. There hadn?t been a young soul and life in here since?

Obi-Wan shifted uneasily beside him, clearly uncomfortable with being in Qui-Gon?s private living space. Qui-Gon frowned. He suddenly realised that as of yet he and the boy were still virtual strangers to one another. For all the hardships they had faced together on Bandomeer, they hadn?t really had the chance to get to know one another properly. At least not enough to be comfortable in silence. Which was stretching now.

Quickly attempting to ease Obi-Wan?s sudden shyness, Qui-Gon stepped forward placing a warm had on the boy?s slim shoulder. ?Welcome home, Obi-Wan,? he said gently. The boy gave him a shy smile and Qui-Gon squeezed his arm in response. Stepping away he pointed to a doorway on the left side of the living space. ?Now, that door there leads to the Padawan?s room. It is yours now, Obi-Wan. Everything you need you will find in there.? He pointed ahead. ?Through there lies the kitchen. A place that, unless I?m very much mistaken, will now need constant restocking.?

Obi-Wan flushed and Qui-Gon smiled. As a growing thirteen-year-old boy it was no secret that Obi-Wan was a living food vacuum. ?And finally that door to the right leads to my room. This is the living space and I hope you will find it comfortable.? Finishing his brief tour, Qui-Gon turned to Obi-Wan. ?Now why don?t you go and unpack. Make the place your own and then have a wash. Pay special attention to your hair.?

Obi-Wan looked baffled and not a little hurt by that last statement. Does he think I?m dirty? Qui-Gon didn?t need their fledgling bond to read that thought. He smiled slightly. ?No, Obi-Wan, but it is rather important for what I?m about to do. Now go on, you have half an
  2. Jedi-Gon Jedi Master

star 1
    AWWWW!!!

[face_love][face_love][face_love]

Really, I don't believe that I need say much else. But, I will anyway.

I love the way you write. Just the small phrasings, the tiny descriptive words that make these viggies so unique. And I looooooove the scene you just gave me! Extremely heartwarming, to say the very least. [face_blush]

But I have one question: Does Qui-Gon yet know the childhood identity of his new padawan? Will he find out?

*waits in anticipation for the next post*
  3. Alexis_Wingstar Force Ghost

star 4
    I missed the second vig, and it was wonderful. You described very well the claustrophobic feeling a cave-in would inspire.

This latest one was best of all. It was so wonderfully sweet, it brought tears to my eyes.
  4. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    I too wonder if Qui-Gon is going to make the connection to the little one and his new padawan. I think the Force is trying to send him a message, but he hasn't. That was a very special moment for both of them. :)

Aaaaah, and Force hair extensions? No wonder those Jedi always look so good. ;)

5. Gkilkenny Force Ghost

star 4

=D= Well done their bonding felt right.

Which was when the Force suddenly and inexplicably decided to rip control away from him.

Startled and dismayed, he fought desperately to regain it. He couldn?t afford for this to go wrong. But his flailing will was overwhelmed and overruled by a power greater than the universe itself.

Consciousness melted away as the power of life took over and he was caught up in the flow, Obi-Wan drawn right along with him. In the Force their signatures met and mingled. Stretching out before them their bond could be seen like twin lines of light. The Force danced around it, binding the lines together, round and round, until they grew and strengthened, becoming infinitely more powerful. The old became young, the young became old, past and future connected, and for a few precious seconds they were one. The Force blessed it.

It seemed forever had passed before Qui-Gon drew breath and slowly returned to himself. Shakily he lifted his forehead from where it had come to rest on the top of Obi-Wan?s head even as the boy opened his eyes with a gasp.

"What was that?"

Feeling the last of the Force drift away Qui-Gon found he couldn't answer. Whatever he said would be a lie. He just knew deep down that whatever had happened it had been a sacred and unique event.

That was the force, it knows a good thing when it sees one:D

=D=
  6. DarthBerryStraw Force Ghost

star 4
    :eek:

This last vignette... has left me speechless. I felt extremely drawn into the scene, as if I was a quiet observer to this tender, emotional moment.

You're writing is amazing. [face_love]
  7. Bastet Jedi Master

star 4
    Aaawwwwwwwww!! [face_love] That viggie was so mushily beautiful! :_|

He pointed ahead. ?Through there lies the kitchen. A place that, unless I?m very much mistaken, will now need constant restocking.?

Obi-Wan flushed and Qui-Gon smiled. As a growing thirteen-year-old boy it was no secret that Obi-Wan was a living food vacuum.
    [face_laugh]

I loved the whole idea of that leather case being passed on from master to padawan when they're knighted. [face_love] I wonder how old it is. [face_thinking]

?I welcome you now as my Padawan Learner, Obi-Wan Kenobi,? he murmured. And may you be so for many years to come.

After tonight he didn't think the Force would have it any other way.
    [face_love] You just make sure you remember that, Qui-Gon! [face_shame_on_you]

Wonderful viggie, Glenstorm! =D= As always. :D
  8. Valairy Scot Chosen One

star 5
    Oh my, I hope I can live up to expectations at this time of night.

?Welcome home, Obi-Wan,? he said gently. The boy gave him a shy smile and Qui-Gon squeezed his arm in response. Stepping away he pointed to a doorway on the left side of the living space. ?Now, that door there leads to the Padawan?s room. It is yours now, Obi-Wan. Everything you need you will find in there.? He pointed ahead. ?Through there lies the kitchen. A place that, unless I?m very much mistaken, will now need constant restocking.?

Obi-Wan flushed and Qui-Gon smiled. As a growing thirteen-year-old boy it was no secret that Obi-Wan was a living food vacuum.

Ah yes, I vaguely remember thinking something similar about my brother. Growing boys are bottomless pits, aren't they? Nice little touch.

?And finally that door to the right leads to my room. This is the living space and I hope you will find it comfortable.? Finishing his brief tour, Qui-Gon turned to Obi-Wan. ?Now why don?t you go and unpack. Make the place your own and then have a wash. Pay special attention to your hair.?

Obi-Wan looked baffled and not a little hurt by that last statement. Does he think I?m dirty? Qui-Gon didn?t need their fledgling bond to read that thought. He smiled slightly. ?No, Obi-Wan, but it is rather important for what I?m about to do. Now go on, you have half an hour then I want to see you back in here, please.?

Obi-Wan still looked a little confused but nevertheless moved quickly to obey his new Master, walking awkwardly across the living space.

In completely the wrong direction.

?The other left, Obi-Wan,? Qui-Gon redirected gently.

Flushing right up to the roots of his hair Obi-Wan quickly changed direction and vanished into the Padawan?s room.

Qui-Gon hid his amusement behind shields of iron, knowing full well that at this stage in their relationship it would only hurt and embarrass Obi-Wan further. The boy must be truly overwhelmed by all of this to have made a mistake like that.

Shrugging it off Qui-Gon moved into his own room--the one on the right.

Oh, man, too funny. [face_laugh] I can just see how thoroughly embarrassed Obi-Wan had to be. It was nice of Qui-Gon to recognize humor would equal humiliation for Obi-Wan at this time.

He reached for his leather case and started to untie the thong binding it closed... He watched as the young man?s eyes ran over the revealed contents of the precious wallet. Tucked into one side was an ancient pair of scissors. Woven designs criss-crossed blades that still gleamed silver and sharp. Qui-Gon would not be needing those today. Obi-Wan?s hair hadn?t yet had chance to grow out of the short Padawan cut. Which was a relief. Xanatos had never thought much of his hairdressing skills and he was badly out of practice.

Beside those ancient silver relics were fixed rows upon rows of tiny beads. Faint reds, blues and greens glinted dully up at him, each one a symbol for a level passed. And today one of them would finally be brought back into service.

Moving beyond the beads, his eyes lighted on the far end of the unfurled case where a closed pocket lay waiting.

It was for this pocket that Qui-Gon reached first. With a faint smile adorning his face, he opened the seal and pulled forth a long dark coil of woven hair. Leather bands tied it off at either end, one feathered, the other clean cut.

His very own Padawan braid.

I can sense the near reverence Qui-Gon has for this symbol of "his" line, one that he is now continuing.

Gently and oh so very carefully, he began to join the strands.

Which was when the Force suddenly and inexplicably decided to rip control away from him.

Startled and dismayed, he fought desperately to regain it. He couldn?t afford for this to go wrong. But his flailing will was overwhelmed and overruled by a power greater than the universe itself.

Consciousness melted away as the power of life took over and he was caught up in the flow, Obi-Wan drawn right along with him. In the Force their signatures met an
  9. Qui-Gina-Jinn Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow....
    That was beyond brilliant!

Loved how Qui-Gon prepared everything and Obi-Wan not really knowing what was going to happen.
    And nice touch with that leather bag-thingy.

Really, really loved it.
    Very nice to see them share such an unique and sweet moment. And even have the Force bless it like that! [face_love]

I know you've almost just posted, but more soon please? [face_batting]
  10. dimyavie Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I loved the update! The Force uniting Qui and Obi was interesting too. Thanks for writing! :)
  11. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    That was quite lovely. I thought Obi-Wan's shyness was quite touching. I loved that Qui-Gon was trying to make an effort to welcome the kid even though they didn't know each other very well.

This was great.

Feeling the last of the Force drift away Qui-Gon found he couldn't answer. Whatever he said would be a lie. He just knew deep down that whatever had happened it had been a sacred and unique event.

Slowly he lifted his trembling hand to look and there in his palm, reflecting the lines of their bond in the Force, lay the joined strands of their hair, seamless and unbroken, auburn flowing like water into the dark brown.

Qui-Gon swallowed, finding voice enough to speak. No, he couldn't say what had happened back there but one thing he did know for certain. He held the tail of hair out between them. ?Now, I am part of you, Obi-Wan," he said softly. "Even as you will always be a part of me.?

Well done.
  12. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    Simply loved [face_love][face_love]@};- it. Great writing.
  13. silverfighter Force Ghost

star 4
    Woowww, so I found this story or stories this afternoon, printed it out, sat down on the sofa telling myself "I'll only read the first part"... Well yeah, I finished all three. Oh. My. Cow. I have been walking around with a grin on my face since then, they were done so beautifully! Add me to your PM list please. [face_batting]
  14. jedidas3 Jedi Master

star 3
    =D= =D= Absolutely wonderful. I could see this entire post in my mind and that makes it even more incredible. The part where Qui-Gon gave Obi-Wan his braid was beautiful. You truly have a talent that always leaves your readers wanting more. (Hint! Hint!)[face_praying]
  15. ratna Force Ghost

star 4
    "Now, I am part of you, Obi-Wan," he said softly. "Even as you will always be a part of me."

... ...

"It is complete. May you wear this braid as a symbol of the commitment we have made to each other--from now until the day of your Knighting--upon which I will be proud to sever it and welcome you to my side, not as my student, but as my trusted equal and beloved brother."

Oh, wow. That was good. Too choked up to say more.
  16. Glenstorm Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oh. My. Gosh. So many wonderful responses! [face_dancing] [face_dancing] I can?t believe how many of you are enjoying this story! Thank you so much!

Now I?ll try and do my best to respond to you all. I hope I can do you justice.

Jedi-Gon: I love the way you write. Just the small phrasings, the tiny descriptive words that make these viggies so unique. [face_love] You?re so kind! But will Qui-Gon find out about Obi-Wan, you ask? Hmmm? you?ll have to wait and find out. [face_mischief] The Force works in mysterious ways. We'll see if it intervenes here.

Alexis_Wingstar: Thank you so much! [:D] If it brought tears to your eyes then I know I?m doing alright. I always love stories that have the power to do that. @};-

ardavenport: Jedi hair extentions [face_laugh] I never thought of it like that! Well if Qui-Gon ever wants a change in career we know where to send him! I can just see the News Flash now:

"Yes, and the unusual migration of human women to Coruscant at this time, allows us to pinpoint the arrival of a tall, rugged ex-Jedi at the Super Cuts Salon with some accuracy." [face_mischief]

Though he may want to brush up on his trimming skills first.

And, aha, you too want to know if Qui-Gon will work out the identity of Obi-Wan. Well? [face_thinking] No! I?m not telling! :D

Gkilkenny: Thank you [:D] Yes the Force certainly knows a good thing when it sees one. And we?re all eternally grateful to it. :)

DarthBerryStraw: You're writing is amazing. [face_blush] Thank you, my friend. Though I don?t think I deserve such high praise.

Bastet: Thank you! [:D] You just make sure you remember that, Qui-Gon! Oh, I think he does. Though he needs a nudge to do so sometimes. Stubborn old Jedi that he is. :D

Valairy_Scot: Worry not, you never fail live up to expectations, my dear. Thank you so much for all the effort you put in to everything that you do: your own wonderful stories and your kind words for others. I think I speak for a lot of people in giving you a big [:D]

Flushing right up to the roots of his hair Obi-Wan quickly changed direction and vanished into the Padawan?s room.
    :D Yes, that bit just popped into my head out of nowhere at the last minute. I think the boys must have wanted it in. [face_mischief]

Qui-Gina-Jinn: [face_blush] Thank you so much! As to the leather case, (I?m sure there?s a better name for it somewhere [face_frustrated]) I know a lot of things get passed down from father to son. So why not from Master to Padawan? I just thought it would be nice for them, as Valairy put it, to have something to symbolise their line with. :) I?m really glad you liked the idea too!

dimyavie: Thank you. :) And the pleasure?s all mine. This story has been a joy to write and it just makes it complete for me to know you?re all enjoying it so much.

dianethx: Thank you, my dear. :)

earlybird-obi-wan: Thank you. Glad to have you on board. @};-

silverfighter: You weren?t the only one with a grin plastered to your face that day. I believe I had a matching one after reading your response :D A big warm welcome to the story and to my PM list.

Jedidas3: [face_blush] Thank you. As I said with Valairy, the effort you put into these boards is simply amazing. Somehow you manage to juggle so many wonderful stories and still find the time to keep up with and encourage so many others. I am truly humbled and wish I had the same talent. [:D]

Ranta: :D Thank-you so much! And you?d better find your voice. Here?s the next part.

AN: This is probably the shortest viggie out of all the seven making up this fic, but has definitely been the most troublesome. In all the months it?s been written I?ve kept on tinkering with it b
  17. Qui-Gina-Jinn Force Ghost

star 4
    :eek:

How could you EVER think this was not good enough to post??!!

It was brilliant! [face_love]

*is almost lost for words*

Loved how Qui-Gon turned from Jedi Master to Jedi father (can you say that??) realising what Obi-Wan needed.

And I think it was great to see Obi-Wan be a little 'rebellious' towards the council. [face_mischief]

Really wonderful! =D=

/edit:
    The calm Jedi mask melted from his face and in that moment he was just Qui-Gon, a man who loved his apprentice more than life itself. Like any father. Something he realised he should have done from the start.
    Perfect! [face_love]
  18. Bastet Jedi Master

star 4
    Simply wonderful! [face_love]

Obi-Wan was defiant toward the Council! :eek: I love it! [face_mischief]

Gently, he lifted Obi-Wan?s chin until their eyes met. ?You are not wrong, Padawan, merely human. And despite how many believe we should behave differently as Jedi,? Qui-Gon caressed the smooth cheek, his eyes he confessing the deep feeling that Obi-Wan had so shyly admitted before, ?I would have you know, my Obi-Wan, that if the situation had been reversed, I would never have left you behind, either. Never in all the Force could I have left you.? [face_love]

I loved that Qui-Gon let go of his stern-masterliness and acknowledged Obi-Wan's feelings, letting the poor kid know just how he felt about him.
    The calm Jedi mask melted from his face and in that moment he was just Qui-Gon, a man who loved his apprentice more than life itself. Like any father. Something he realised he should have done from the start. [face_love]

And if an observer had been fortunate enough to spy them in that moment, their eyes would not have beheld the all powerful guardians of the galaxy, but simply a father and his son. [face_love] Awwwwwwww!!

Thank you for another amazing viggnette, Glenstorm! :D I'm so glad to hear there's going to be three more of these! [face_dancing]
  19. DarthBerryStraw Force Ghost

star 4
    But Obi-Wan had not been thinking as a Jedi when he had acted. Something infinitely more powerful had come shining through and Qui-Gon couldn?t deny that it was an instinct that he himself had come to know intimately.

It was the same drive that had caused him to smash into the Council?s beliefs so many times in his own lifetime.

He did know.

[face_love]

Another wonderful vig! =D=
  20. Jedi-Gon Jedi Master

star 1
    :eek::eek::eek:

That was beautiful. There is no other way to say it.

In an instant he cast aside his role as a Master and the tenets of the Jedi. Council be damned. Obi-Wan needed him right now. Needed truth, wisdom and understanding. Not to have his feelings callously pushed aside by stern platitudes.

The calm Jedi mask melted from his face and in that moment he was just Qui-Gon, a man who loved his apprentice more than life itself. Like any father. Something he realised he should have done from the start.

Dropping to his knees, Qui-Gon caught the trembling chin in a large hand, and his next words when they came, came from the heart. ?No, my Obi-Wan, it is not wrong to feel these things,? he said softly, firmly. ?You are not wrong. We are Jedi, Padawan, and that means we sometimes have to make sacrifices that other people could barely begin to comprehend. It is part of our duty. And as such we can never allow ourselves the attachments that others so freely enjoy. That sets us apart.

?But,? he placed a hand over Obi-Wan?s heart, ?deep inside here, we are all of us the same and if the people we love are in danger then we would go through any barrier to protect them. No amount of Jedi training will ever change that fully. And it never should.?

:_|[face_love][face_love] This, along with the scene that followed, is my favorite part. The image of the tall, regal Master Jinn dropping to his knees for his little padawan is beautifully heart-warming. Well done!

Obi-Wan?s eyes were over bright as he reached up to grasp the hand that still rested upon his chest. A thousand and one things he wanted to say crossed his mind in that moment, but in the end there was only one thing he could say,

?I know.?

Qui-Gon smiled and pulled the boy to his chest in a warm embrace before rising. Side by side they walked back to their quarters, taking in the much needed solace found in each other's beloved company. Peace and contentment swelled between and around them, shining outwards and obliterating all else.

And if an observer had been fortunate enough to spy them in that moment, their eyes would not have beheld the all powerful guardians of the galaxy, but simply a father and his son.

The Council could cast their decision.

Cast a decision indeed! Those two are meant to be together, whether those big-headed babblers reconize it or not! Hrumph. [face_frustrated] Mace Windu is NOT on my favorite people list, right now.

But the image of this - father and son - is very, very nicely done. :) It made me smile big!

This is probably the shortest viggie out of all the seven making up this fic, but has definitely been the most troublesome. In all the months it?s been written I?ve kept on tinkering with it but still I?m not fully happy. I think it?s a matter of getting the balance? right. Anyway it?s in your hands now tell me what you think?..

WHAT?! You think this is bad? How could you?! This is amazing! Really, you are a truely gifted writer. Please, don't stop writing! I want to see what these two get up to in the near future. And I will definitely be waiting for Qui-Gon to figure out that Obi-Wan is Ben! :D

Kudos to you, and update soon!:D[:D]

21. JediKaren Jedi Master

star 3
    WHOOT! lol good post!!!
  22. silverfighter Force Ghost

star 4
    Why are you worried? That was really good! :D

I love how Qui-Gon seems to be seeing that his apprentice doesn't always need only a Master, but more of a father figure to whom he can relate and love, and that it's okay to try to save someone he loves. Excellent.
  23. dimyavie Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    That was a wonderful post! :D As you know (I think) I love father/son bonding between Obi-Wan and Qui, and your post was the perfect balance of angst and mush. Thanks so much for writing! :D
  24. Alexis_Wingstar Force Ghost

star 4
    Beautiful, simply beautiful. Master/Padawan relationships should always be thus. [face_love]
  25. Jinngerbread Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh wow, these are all quite lovely vignettes.

I actually resisted this one at first because I'm not really a fan of songfics, but since your lyrics are at the end, it's very tastefully done, rather than jarring to me, like some songfics are.

In completely the wrong direction.

My husband has had to say that to me before, poor Obi-Wan, how embarrassing! [face_laugh]

The emotion reflected there tightened Qui-Gon?s throat even as it flooded their completed bond with quiet joy. He squeezed Obi-Wan?s fingers.

?I welcome you now as my Padawan Learner, Obi-Wan Kenobi,? he murmured. And may you be so for many years to come.

After tonight he didn't think the Force would have it any other way.

The thought served to drown all the remaining shadows from Qui-Gon?s mind even as his soul overflowed with happiness.

He could finally begin to live again.

That truly is essentially Qui-Gon. In the end, he is healing, and it's wonderful that he can realize that he can be close to Obi-Wan and that Obi-Wan is not like Xanatos. That is just wonderful. I'm really quite enjoying these, I'm just a big puddle of mushy goo, reading all of them. Love their tender relationship, so wonderful. I especially love how protective and affectionate Qui-Gon is with Obi-Wan [face_love]

I hope you keep doing more of them, and please add me to your PM list.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.