main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends You?ll Be In My Heart (A series of Qui/Obi vignettes) *Complete*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Glenstorm, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Our paths will part someday and when that day comes you have to let me go. It is the hardest lesson I will ever have to teach ...

For a true Master. even death becomes a purposeful act of compassion and instruction. Beautiful capture of what the Jedi and the Master/Padawan bond are all about.

Loved the whole post, of course, even through my tears.

2. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    Beautiful viggie! The foreboding was sad, but somewhat expected. Plus, Qui will always be in Obi's heart, right? Anyway, thanks for writing! The story brightened up my day! :)

3. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Incredibly powerful...Wonderful job with this.=D= I'm not sure where to begin. This is so beautifully done, capturing the horror of the vision and the comforting of the Master. But we all know what will come to pass...

Great job and I'm looking forward to the next post. Is it ready yet?;)

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    So sad and yet it comes true. How horrible for Obi-Wan, suspecting the future and that kind of future.

?I cannot let this come to pass, Master,? Obi-Wan murmured softly. ?I don?t think I could survive if this is what truly lies ahead.?

Qui-Gon squeezed his shoulder. ?Always in motion is the future,? he said as much to steady himself as his apprentice.

Obi-Wan nodded against his shoulder but his grip remained tight on Qui-Gon?s tunic. ?Promise you?ll never leave me, Master,? he said in a broken whisper so uncharacteristic of his strong Padawan. ?Promise you won?t ever leave me behind.?

Qui-Gon stiffened. Grasping Obi-Wan by the shoulders he pushed his Padawan to arm?s length so he could meet those despairing eyes.

?I can never promise that, Obi-Wan,? he said firmly.

Obi-Wan looked shocked then hurt and began to turn his face away but Qui-Gon caught his chin and held his gaze firm. ?Eventually I will die, Padawan, whether by the darkness in your vision or by some other unforeseen destiny, it will happen someday. It is the way of things. The way of the Force. We each of us have a path to follow and a purpose to fulfil in our lives. Our paths will part someday and when that day comes you have to let me go. It is the hardest lesson I will ever have to teach, but you must. No matter how rocky your way becomes.?

Great job yet again.

5. Lileia

Lileia Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2008
    it's good you love debates! :)

Point 2: Yes, I agree with you. I too think it would be cruel to sever a child?s braid when they were sent to the Agri Corps, but my thinking was that if they were never going to be Knighted then there would be no further point in keeping the braid, would there? [face_thinking][/quote]

Ah, but who said the initiates HAD a braid? I might be wrong but Jude Watson doesn't mention any braids in her JA-2, neither Wolverton does in his JA-1. I always thought initiates just had pretty long hair (girls and boys) which was cut in short padawan style (save for one lock to be braided) when a child becomes Padawan-learner. [face_thinking]

I won't argue about the first point. You've convinced me. :)

The last viggie is pretty sad, but so beautiful. I loved the complete trust between them, so even in sleep Ob-Wan's love and trust speak with his Master.

Silently Qui-Gon brushed the braid back and murmured. ?The Force will be with you, Obi-Wan. Always. If nothing else remember that. Then nothing will overcome you.?

Impossibly Obi-Wan stirred and in the deepest recesses of his sleeping mind came the reply:

//Yes, Master.//

Qui-Gon smiled wanly as he rested his chin in the red-gold hair. Watchful eyes stared at the stars. Yes he had faith.

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

And this one is so lovely!
    But then, with a brief flash of pride, Qui-Gon felt the young man reach for the Force, drawing on its infinite strength whilst breathing out his torment. Indeed the boy had grown. All to fast.

Tank you!

6. silverfighter

silverfighter Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 28, 2007
    Ohh, that was so sad and kinda creepy. I don't have time for a better reply then that right now, sorry. [face_blush] I really liked it, though. [face_peace]

7. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    These are wonderful! They're full of imagery, angst, and comfort. I have enjoyed each and every one and am very much looking forward to the next one. :)

Thanks for the PMs!

8. Glenstorm

Glenstorm Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 27, 2006
    DarthBerryStraw: ?Qui-Gon is really Obi-Wan's strength in this viggie.? Yes he is. He was always there for him whenever he could be [face_love] Thanks a lot!

Bastet: Thank you! I?m glad to have made your day. Here?s the next one but I have a feeling you?re right about it [face_worried]

monkeykelci: [face_blush] [face_blush] Thank you so much! ?It made me think.? Really? I love stories that do that. I?m glad I could oblige you with this :D

earlybird-obi-wan: Thank you! And yes he will :)

Valairy_Scot: [:D] Thank you, my dear! I hope you?re happy and back on your proper computer now :)

ranta: [face_blush] Thank you. I?m really, really glad you liked it so much.

dimyavie: Thank you [:D] ?Qui will always be in Obi's heart, right?? Of course he will :D

jedidas3: ?Incredibly powerful...Wonderful job with this.? [face_blush] Thank you so much, my friend. And yes the next post is ready and coming right up! [:D]

dianethx: Thank you!

Lileia: Thank you so much! :) And you?re right, braids weren?t mentioned in the books. I don?t know what to think here. Apart from the fact that they get severed upon Knighting, there seems to be precious little information on braids in the official Star Wars universe, which is a shame :( But I think I have seen initiates with braids in the films.

Does anyone know when Jedi children get their braids?

Thanks once again, Lileia, for your support and your thoughts.

silverfighter: Cheers! Don?t worry about the reply. Just glad to know you?re still with me :D

bek: Hey there! I?m so glad you?ve enjoyed all these. No problem about the PMs, it was my pleasure [:D]

OK, last one folks, :( Thank you to all of you for making this story so enjoyable for me and I really hope you all enjoy this final instalment @};-

?Anakin.?

The boy stopped and dashed towards Obi-Wan, breaking loose from the rowdy group of triumphant pilots. His face was alive with excitement.

?I did it!? he cried. ?I blew up the control ship!? he skidded to a halt before the haggard young Knight.

Numb to the show of exuberance, Obi-Wan just stared down at the child with broken eyes, reining his screaming grief behind an iron mask as he clutched desperately to the last shred of control that was keeping him upright. That last fragile shred that had kept him from the brink of insanity since the healers had pried Qui-Gon?s cooling body from his desperate grip.

He supposed his rigid expression must have come across as disapproving because the boy suddenly looked contrite. ?I?m sorry, Obi-Wan, sir. But Master Qui-Gon told me to stay in the cockpit--?

?I know, Anakin,? Obi-Wan cut across him tightly before the boy could say any more. ?You did well.?

The child beamed before glancing past Obi-Wan, eyes searching.

Here it came.

?Where?s Master Qui-Gon? Is he coming??

Obi-Wan swallowed, wanting, needing to be somewhere, anywhere else. But he knew that this bitter duty lay with him. ?Anakin?? he grasped the boy?s shoulders and knelt down. He opened his mouth to speak but he suspected Anakin could already read the terrible truth carved upon his face. ?Master Qui-Gon?? his voice trembled dangerously. ?Master Qui-Gon didn?t make it. He-he didn?t make it, Anakin.?

The hanger bay around them suddenly grew very still.

?No,? the boy whispered, looking towards the door as if willing Qui-Gon to walk through right then and prove that this was all a bad joke.

Obi-Wan hung his head until the boy?s attention returned to him. The round blue eyes were now filling with tears, tears that Obi-Wan himself was straining to keep at bay.

In that instant he felt a flash of resentment. His Master was dead and his life was irreparably broken. Why was he here having to comfort this child that he barely knew, the same boy that had threatened to usurp h

9. DarthBerryStraw

DarthBerryStraw Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2007
    Oh my. :_| So beautiful!

I've enjoyed each of these vignettes immensely. [face_love] Thank you so much for sharing with us! [:D]

10. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    I knew it! :_| Oh, so sad!! :_|

Obi-Wan?s heart lurched. His mind blanked at the thought of Qui-Gon leaving him a second time. Of him leaving once more without ever having heard all that was in his heart. There was still so much he had to say. Obi-Wan fumbled for the words but in the end he found there was only one thing that was important. I love you, my Master, Obi-Wan threw the thought down their waning link, knowing that it might be the last chance he would ever have to say it. He wanted, needed, Qui-Gon to know.

And Qui-Gon heard him.

Obi-Wan would never again forget what happened next and it would see him through all the darkness of the galaxy.

Joy flared to life along their link as the confession was absorbed. Peace, happiness and pure, boundless love. The emotions of a spirit grown far too powerful to be contained by the mere crude matter of flesh and blood, all wrapped around him in a single moment that took his breath away. They infused themselves with Obi-Wan in a great blinding crescendo, shining like a radiant light and enhancing the beauty of all that existed in a final benediction of love, pride and... hope before finally letting go, dispersing back into the essence of the Force.
    :_| [face_love]

Such a beautiful ending! [face_love]

I've loved all of these wonderful vignettes, and I'm sad to see them come to an end. :( Thanks for sharing your amazing talent with us! @};-

11. silverfighter

silverfighter Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 28, 2007
    Oh my heart. It just so happened I was listening to "Empty Chairs and Empty Tables" for Les Miserables as I read that, which did not help my random emotions at all. That was so sad yet so incredibly beautiful. Why does it have to be done?! :_|

12. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved it. yes Qui-Gon is always in Obi-Wan's heart, guiding him

[image=http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/forcenetart/father.jpg]

13. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    And so the circle is complete...wipes tears from eyes.

Obi-Wan hung his head until the boy?s attention returned to him. The round blue eyes were now filling with tears, tears that Obi-Wan himself was straining to keep at bay.

In that instant he felt a flash of resentment. His Master was dead and his life was irreparably broken. Why was he here having to comfort this child that he barely knew, the same boy that had threatened to usurp his place at Qui-Gon?s side? He shouldn?t have to do it. It was unfair!

But deep down he knew that that was a selfish thought. One unworthy of him and the Jedi.

The boy had begun to shake with the effort of holding back his tears. Obi-Wan sighed. Firmly pushing his resentment deep down where it could not yet be felt, he took pity and reached out, drawing the boy against him.

It was all that was needed to send Anakin over the edge. The boy collapsed against Obi-Wan?s chest as he cried out his grief and confusion into the soft, creamy tunics.

Obi-Wan held him silently, waiting patiently for the storm to subside. Providing shelter like Qui-Gon had always done for him.

A shudder of pain tore through his body and Obi-Wan felt his ragged control crack. That last shred had begun to fray. He closed his eyes against the burning tears. Please? He just wanted to be away from here now.

After what seemed like forever, Anakin?s sobs finally eased and the boy drew away, wiping his eyes on his sleeve, reluctant to meet Obi-Wan?s gaze.

?I?m sorry, Obi-Wan, sir,? he mumbled to the ground.

Drawing breath, Obi-Wan reached out a trembling hand and lifted his chin, wiping the last tear away from his cheek. ?It?s alright, Anakin,? he croaked.

The boy nodded slowly then turned from him. Amidala had appeared somewhere during the proceedings and she stepped up to kneel before the boy, ruffling his hair sympathetically.

Thanking every small mercy in the universe for the distraction Obi-Wan bowed swiftly to the Queen and turned on his heel.

He had to get out of there.

But who was there for Obi - nobody (we haven't got there yet in YOUR story). I've read a lot of fics and forum comments on how Obi-Wan's resentment of Anakin is behind Anakin's fall - but who was there for Obi?

Despite his very human feelings, he did reach out to Anakin.

Then Yoda came to him ... the next line just chokes me up.

He tensed as a tiny three fingered hand came to rest in his hair, but still he did not look up.

?With the Force he is now, Obi-Wan,? Yoda said. ?Let him go you should.?

That did it. A sudden searing rage ripped through Obi-Wan. Rage at the little Master for speaking those hated words and rage at the Force for taking Qui-Gon from him before he was ready to say goodbye.

Jumping to his feet he backed sharply away from the ancient Master who was regarding him steadily from the floor. ?Let him go?! Well as I see it he is already gone. That Sith took him from me and I did nothing! Nothing!?

Tears spilled down over his cheeks, hot and stinging, but he refused to heed them.

?Change what happened, you think you could have?? Infuriatingly calm.

Obi-Wan spun away, hiding his face. In a strangled voice he said, ?I should have been there. Protected him from that beast! I should have done something! Found a way to save him!?

?Perfect you are not,? Yoda answered steadily. ?Claim that nobody can. Skilled warrior the Sith was. Not your fault it is.?

Obi-Wan was shaking with fury. How dare anybody try to ease his grief when this blame was his to bear. Desperately he tried to release his turmoil? and failed miserably.

With a wild cry he faced the waiting Master. ?It?s all my fault! I was his Padawan! His friend! I could have saved him!? Suddenly spent, Obi-Wan crumpled slowly to the floor, sobbing uncontrollably at Yoda?s clawed feet.

Yoda said nothing, could say nothing to help him. Not yet. He just reached into the Force and focused it on the Padawan?s raging emotions, blunting them as much as he could unti

14. monkeykelci

monkeykelci Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2008
    All but running through the Palace Obi-Wan did not break stride until he had reached his assigned quarters and barricaded himself inside.

And there his fragile shields shattered. All his checked emotions came rushing forth to hit him afresh in single a crushing wave. Anger, grief, guilt, pain, shear blinding pain.

With a wail of anguish, Obi-Wan collapsed to his knees in the middle of the floor, burying his face in the soft carpet and soaking it in endless tears. He wrapped his arms around his head and could not breathe for the cries that tore from his throat.

He felt as if he would scream forever.

:_| :_| :_|

God, I know how he feels..
    I think everyone has a memory of that one time of weakness, where you just cry because you know that somthing will never, ever be the same.
    I know I do.
    I feel so bad for Obi, He didn't deserve to have Qui-Gon taken away from him before his knighting.
    Obi's hurting and it makes me want to reach out and hug him.[:D]
    Poor, poor Obi-Wan.

=D= =D= =D=
    However, that was a wonderful update and a beautifully(sp) written peice of work.
    Absolutly no competition to gain a place on my favorites list!
    I will be watching for other stories by you, Glenstorm!
    You're a very talented writer.:D

15. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Excellent.=D=

I go away for the weekend and miss a couple of posts.:oops:
    I love it that Obi-Wan felt Qui-Gons presence.[face_love]

16. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I can't believe I missed reading the two vigs before this last one. The 10th anniversary vig was so delightful as Qui-gon came to the realization that little Ben was his Obi-wan. [face_love]

The nightmare vig was bittersweet.

And this last one... it brought tears to my eyes.

This set of vigs will always be in my heart. Thank you for sharing them, Glenstorm [:D]

17. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    Your post was sad yet realistic at the same time. :) I loved that Qui was able to comfort Obi when he was at his lowest. Thanks for the story!

18. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Grief is a hard river to cross.

Love is the ferry.

@};-

19. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was lovely. I really liked that Qui-Gon shared his spirit with Obi-Wan and that Obi was at peace with it afterwards.

Well done.

20. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Absolutely lovely and heartbreaking at the same time. It was a beautiful picture of what Obi-Wan must have gone through when Qui-Gon died. You allowed us to experience the same gamult of emotions that Obi-Wan was going through. Well done. =D= =D=

By the way, what do you mean it's the last post?:_|

21. Glenstorm

Glenstorm Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 27, 2006
    DarthBerryStraw: Thank you so much. I?m glad you?ve enjoyed them. It?s what I do it for. :D [:D]

Bastet: ?I've loved all of these wonderful vignettes, and I'm sad to see them come to an end.? Thank you, my friend, for everything you?ve said in supporting this story. :* [:D]

silverfighter: ?It just so happened I was listening to "Empty Chairs and Empty Tables" for Les Miserables as I read that? Aww. It?s amazing how music can make you feel (probably why I like songfics so much) [:D] Thank you so much for reading!

earlybird-obi-wan: Wow, such amazing artwork! I don?t know what to say! Just? thank you so much for sharing it. That, and all your wonderful comments [:D] @};- :*

Valairy_Scot: Thank you, my friend. You?re right: who was there for our Obi? Was he just expected to cope straight away? No. It?s not fair t blame him for Anakin?s fall. That little? person was just a pain full stop. Sorry Anakin fans, but I don?t much like the kid. Not in the official Star Wars universe anyway.

I thought it would be nice for Yoda to come to Obi at this time. After all they always had a special bond. I?m really really glad you liked the thought so much. And I?m glad there?s someone else out there fighting Obi?s corner. If anyone needs a hug it?s him [:D]

monkeykelci: [face_blush] [:D] Thank you so much! ?I will be watching for other stories by you, Glenstorm!? Really?! Well actually I?m working on two right now: my frustratingly slow epic Game of Death and one other which I won?t reveal just yet ;)

Gkilkenny: Thank you! :) I?m really glad you liked it!

Alexis_Wingstar: ?This set of vigs will always be in my heart.? Aww, thank you. I?m so glad you liked these so much.

dimyavie: Thank you so much. For all your support.

ranta: ?Grief is a hard river to cross... Love is the ferry.? :_| So heartbreaking but so true. Thank you my friend.

dianethx: Thank you!

jedidas3: Thank you so much, my dear. All your support is so very much treasured. And yes, sad to say, that was the last viggie :(

But I believe Jedi-Gon is also doing a fic to this song. So we have that to look forward to.

Again a big thanks to everyone who?s been reading this story. You?re all wonderful :*

22. JediKaren

JediKaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2007
    *cries* Sorry, couldn't help it. Unfortunately a family member died recently and I completely understand the sort of pain and anger that goes through you when all you want to do is cry your heart out and someone is telling you to stop. It's a horrible feeling and it can last for hours.

23. wolf_kenobi

wolf_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2007
    Oh.... My.... Gosh.

:_|:_|:_|:_|

Wow. This brought tears to my eyes. Your writing here is heartachingly beautiful. An extraordinary piece! I love it. :)

Well done.@};-

24. Lileia

Lileia Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2008
    You shattered my heart. So sad :_|

But so beautifully written. Thank you! @};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.