main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

you made no money until you sell!

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Aiki-Jedimaster, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aiki-Jedimaster

Aiki-Jedimaster Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2003
    i find it interesting that people say to me "I bought this figure for $5.00, now it's worth $25.00, I made $20.00 from it". You did only if you sold the figure. People have in their minds that they are making money by just having the figure, most don't realize they need a sale to make profit, and selling for the listed price is not always that easy. Until you sell, you have a valued collection and not money in the pocket. Anyone else come across this scenario?

2. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Very true. You haven't made any money unless you sell. And usually when I sell some of my collection, I always lose money and sell it for far less than I paid for it.

3. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    Very True, I never sell any of mine so I dont care about the money, but it is nice to have a rare item that you know many want and you have. TF vader

4. rebelwookiee

rebelwookiee Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    yep. anybody who's read my posts knows i'm in it for the love of Star Wars, not the money. i really don't get the people who add up the "value" of their collection. it's only worth that much if you can get somebody to buy it.

5. DrunkenJawas

DrunkenJawas Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2003
    I am in it for the love of StarWars as well. Im one of the people who would rather have an autographed $100 figure, then having the figure and have it be worth more money.

6. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I gave away to freinds some pieces that are worth well over 100$ each. However, they are fellow SW fans and I am a firm believer in 'collectors Karma' :) Good collectors stuff will come my way.

7. Jack_T_Chance

Jack_T_Chance Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    This thread is making me think of this one seller on eBay...

Besides Star Wars, I've also been collecting the new Masters of the Universe line for the last couple years. Mattel has made chase versions of several figures, with paint schemes altered from the regular version. In most cases, the chase version has paint apps that more closely match the paint scheme of the original figure from the '80s.

So, right now, the most desirable figure, of the ones currently shipping to the few retail and online dealers that still carry the new line, is the chase version of Fisto... Oops, sorry, "Battle Fist"... The figure had to be renamed after Lucasfilm copyrighted the name "Kit Fisto"... Even though the character was probably named as a tribute to the MOTU character...

At any rate, the chase version of Battle Fist has a current book value, according to Toyfare, of $130. Highest recorded sale that I know of was one that ended recently, for a final price of about £135-140 (about $270 US). Yet, the only person on eBay who has one listed, is a scalper with an eBay store, who's set it up as a Buy It Now only sale, with an asking price of $400!!! :mad:

Thing's been up on eBay for at least a couple months and never sells because he wants so much for it. So, I emailed the guy and offered him a more reasonable price. His response? He said he'd trade for a chase He-Man or a Chase Skeletor... The only 2 chase figures as rare as Chase Battle Fist, and even more valuable. Chase He-Man has a current book value of $175, while Skeletor commands $400!

So, I did an eBay search for the 2. The only person who has 1... You guessed it, Mr. Scalper. He has the only Chase Skeletor, and is demanding $500 for it, Buy It Now! :mad:

I hope he likes staring at those figures, 'cuz he ain't gonna be sellin' 'em anytime soon! Especially since he refuses to listen to common sense and let himself be bartered down to something closer to book value! ;)

BTW, dude's eBay ID/eBay store name is BAYLOADZONE. Feel free to avoid buying from him. Don't feed the scalpers and all that. ;)

8. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    "This thread is making me think of this one seller on eBay..."

I'm sure everyone has seen those sellers who list their items as "VHTF!! RARE! OMG, ITEM ON HAND!!1"

I even saw someone offering an OTC Jedi Luke "variation." His eyes were supposedly brown instead of blue, thus increasing his "value" and sale price. [face_plain]

But me, nah I love Star Wars so much. I can never see myself parting with my collection. :) I have considered selling small portions of it... such as some loose figures or carded figures that have little meaning to me. I'm at the point where I'm totally out of room, so by trying to get rid of some of the stuff I don't care for much I might make room for some of the newer stuff that I do want.

9. rebelwookiee

rebelwookiee Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    i saw one who had a "rare variant OTC Lobot without comlink" for sale. what a joke. if missing pieces makes it more valuable, there's something wrong with the collector's market. maybe i should open all my figures, take them out, reglue the bubble and advertise them as "rare variant empty bubble figures" ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.