main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends You Make Me Want to More than Try - Songfic; Mara/Luke.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Title: You Make Me Want to More Than Try
    Author: Jade eyes
    Timeframe: Post VOTF and a bit before.
    Characters: L/M.
    Genre: Songfic & mush.
    Disclaimer: Nelly Furtado owns this lovely song called Try. Yum!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmhNQNPwT3I

JediMara77: thanks for the lovely, suitable song and the idea.

@};-

Summary: Luke and Mara's first evening alone together after the flurry of peace talks; they discuss the Solos' reaction to their engagement "once it sunk in." LOL This light and mushy banter leads to a period of rare introspection by Mara on their relationship.

~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mara grimaced in mock relief as she settled onto the thick cushions of the sofa. "Well, that went better than I expected." She took a sip of the fruity wine and passed the goblet to Luke so he could have a sip.

Luke chuckled. "It wasn't that bad, was it?" He asked, eyes sparkling.

Mara grinned but said seriously: "Leia respects and trusts me as an ally and even as a friend, to some degree, but to actually be your wife ..." She trailed off. "I have to admit I wasn't sure what her reaction would be." Mara felt a swell of warmth at recollecting Leia's sincere happiness and welcome.

Luke kissed the tip of her nose. "She has always wanted me to be happy, and she knows you have and will make me happy. And the kids ... they've always been fond of you."

Mara chuckled. "And Han -- I've never been in doubt about his feelings on the subject."

Luke agreed: "One of the more refreshing sides of the Correllian personality."

After a pause, Mara asked curiously: "Leia asked me when I knew I loved you. I think I was a little in love with you during the whole Darksaber debacle. But I wasn't about to admit it then."

"I knew -- " Luke pondered for a long moment. "Hmmm. Maybe there was never a specific point. I always admired you and enjoyed your company and -- but if I had to pick a point, it was when I had the vision of you in the caverns on Nirauan. The thought that you had died there, alone, and I never had the chance to tell you how I really felt ... although, to be honest, I was more than half afraid of your reaction if I did."

They both laughed.

"Do you ever wish we had gotten together sooner?" Mara asked, taking another long sip.

Luke answered: "All the time! But, then I think maybe we weren't ready before now ... but I really wish we had been."

She grinned.

Mara thought later before drifting off to sleep of the broad range her feelings for Luke had taken over the years. They had gone from bitter enemies (although that was more than anything attributable to the last command), to tentative friends and allies. She had kept him at a thorny and prickly distance, wanting to not be touched by his admiration, his warmly genuine friendship. Not only could he keep up with her sharp wit, he seemed to really enjoy it. He challenged her to be honest with herself in ways no one else ever had or dared to. His opinion of her even in the early days had mattered more than she wanted to acknowledge. He made her want to broaden her horizons, step beyond her comfort zone.

She wanted to more than try to make a success of being a Jedi, his life's partner, and his heart's love. She wanted to do all those things, with the consummate determination, loyalty, and commitment she had always shown.

+++++++

2. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Yippee!!!!!! :D

3. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    "And Han -- I've never been in doubt about his feelings on the subject."
    Got to love Han. :)

kept him at a thorny and prickly distance
    Love that line.

Great, sweet piece. @};-

4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Love this perfect piece showing Mara and Luke together.=D==D=For the queen of mush[face_love]

5. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Awww..that was sweet.

This couple will always be my first love. and you always do them justice!

And gotta love Han and his honesty!

6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Awww. Mush!!!!! You do these two so well.

I loved it. [face_love]

7. Kailene

Kailene Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2009
    Mara chuckled. "And Han -- I've never been in doubt about his feelings on the subject."

Luke agreed: "One of the more refreshing sides of the Correllian personality."
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] How very true !!!

Great job, Jade ! [:D] Some nice sweetness to start my day.

8. Overboard4aFel

Overboard4aFel Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 16, 2010
    I thought I had responded to this.... (I keep doing that [face_tired])

Very nicely done... It's funny, out of the two of them, Mara has always been my fav. Can't help it- there's something about her, that "thorny", "prickly" side that I just loved, and the reason I always liked it when Jaina became her apprentice. The two of them just seemed to fit, but Mara had the grace that Jaina lacked.

And Luke just leveled her enough to make her mature. [face_love] You get them so well! [:D][face_love]

Very nice! @};-

O4aF

9. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Awww! Sweet moment! [face_love]

Not only could he keep up with her sharp wit, he seemed to really enjoy it.
    Excellent point! I've heard many people protest that Mara's so edgy - but IMO that's precisely one of the things Luke truly likes about her. Probably since he's somehow always able to see behind it.;)

He made her want to broaden her horizons, step beyond her comfort zone.
    Another sharp observation! [:D] I could also imagine that was a reason Mara kept Luke an armlenth away for so long - she wanted the challenges he offers - but not his protection when she stumbles in her effort to live up to them. She wanted to be sure he respected her integrity so much that he let her do her own mistakes.

Aww, you set my mind rolling here! [face_dancing]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.