main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You mean there are actually conventions for Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by pwinklespi, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    One of the fans at C3 who wore an amazing Chewie costume said it took him over 10 years to make it from scratch! :eek:

2. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    Heh, when I went to C3 there were a lot of comments... "what? You're going to the US for a SW CONVENTION?? Are you crazy??" :p

Yeah, I guess I am. ;)

3. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    The crazier the better ;) When I went to C3 my friends replied "What? You're hitching a plane to Indy solely to attend a convention about Star Wars?"

4. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Funny thing, the same responses can be said for people who attend car/boat shows, art exhibits, and other trade shows.

My uncle is a huge boat enthusiast, and he travels all along the East Coast attending various boat shows. When I hear that he is going to another boat show, my response is "What? You're going to drive all the way to <insert city here> for a boat show??"

It's all relevant - if there is an event/convention that caters to something that you are passionate about, you are going to attend it. I guess a convention about Star Wars just illicits a different response than that for a car/boat show or some other trade show.

5. sithlard

sithlard Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2004
    I've heard of the term "Yoda-heads." Read it in the paper a few years ago.

6. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Wait a minute, Patrick Stewart isn't a star? He's a serious stage actor, which to my mind makes him a bigger deal than people like Harrison Ford and Sam Jackson. Stewart does Shakespeare and Jackson shoots snakes with machine guns. :p

The other big difference between ST and SW is a lot of the Star Trek actors have embraced the series and appreciate the fact that it helped their careers, whereas many of the Star Wars actors have tried to distance themselves from the franchise and pretend they were never involved with it, which is ironic because for some of them, they never would have been famous without it. I think it's easier to get the big-name people involved with Star Trek to do cons. Plus, as has been mentioned before, Star Trek had five different TV series so there have been a lot more people involved with it over the years. Star Wars cons are a much bigger production since they're so much rarer, though, which means they have the potential to be more fun.

Somebody once asked Marina Sirtis (from Star Trek) whether the fans annoyed her, and her response was, "Of course not, it's because of the fans that I live in a nice house and drive a nice car." I thought that was pretty funny. It's too bad more celebrities don't see it that way.

Also, I agree with everybody who said it's no different than going to a computer show or a car show or an event for sports fans or whatever. Isn't that "nerdy" too? We're all nerds in our own way; we just have different interests that we geek out over. :D

7. pwinklespi

pwinklespi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 30, 2004
    I have always thought that Star Trek cons are more interesting than Star Wars cons. As much fun as I had at CIII, I was disappointed in the show of celebs. If you compare events and celebs, it's my opinion that you get more out of a Star Trek con.

Remember, Ford, Portman, McGregor and Jackson are bigger celebs than Sirtis, Stewart, Frakes and Nemoy. BUT there is a HUGE difference. The major Star Wars celebs don't go to cons and interact with fans. The Star Trek celebs do.

See you at CIV people!

:)

8. HoraceAustin

HoraceAustin Jedi Youngling

Sep 12, 2006
    At the 2006 San Diego Comic-Con, I attended a very cool program hosted by John Flynn, Ph.D and Bob Blackwood, Ph.D. It was about a book they co-authored called Future Prime: The Top Ten Science Fiction Films.

Towards the end of the program, I put these guys on the spot and asked them which mythology they thought was better: STAR TREK or STAR WARS? Not surprisingly, this question got the audience riled up. To the disappointment of the audience, Flynn and Blackwood said they enjoyed both equally.

After the program, Flynn told me that I asked a good but tough question. He told me that they couldn't publicly choose one over the other because they didn't want to alienate the zealots on either side.

And, yes, Flynn is the guy who wrote that STAR WARS: FALL OF THE REPUBLIC treatment that's been floating around for years and years.

9. TanSei

TanSei Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2005
    -Sigh-

It gets a little old when your boss tells other people about you that 'She is into all that Lord of The Rings stuff'. How many times should I correct her with -Actually it's Star Wars...

Isn't that one of the reason we are going to CIV to be among people that don't think we are weird?

10. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    I don't care what any of the naysayers think:

A convention where I can spend 5 days with 30,000+ passionate SW fans who love the Saga as much as I do? Oh I'm there. No doubt. =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.