main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST You more excited in 1998-2005 for PT or right now for ST ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BretHart, Oct 13, 2015.

?

More hyped back then for PT or right now for ST ?

1. Back then for the Prequel Trilogy

40.0%
  2. Right now for the Sequel Trilogy

60.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    I was much more hyped for the PT, **** I'm more hyped for Rebels right now than TFA.

Not to say I am not going to see the midnight showing of the movie opening night, but we know sooooo little about the plot and characters I don't even know if I am going to like them yet, much less if I am going to look forward to them.

2. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Was sort of more hyped for PT. But this has also a lot to do with where i am in life, where i was back then, taking on a real crisis in my life between in between those two "events". And you can not compare the media landscape in 99 to what we have these days really. Its almost an impossible task to create anything similar to the cultural phenonomen that AHN was, and the legacy the OT built. And something TPM to some extent did manage to duplicate, in terms of anticipation and media response. I blame: Hollywood itself ( for being selfish and loosing creativity). And The Internet. Just take a look at how the music industry looked like in late 90s and compared to today. Most mediahype is made up by gossipjunk, stars and products that seldom lasts for long. But the real truth amongst us people, amongst us posters in here, in this forum, is frankly, that we never really never got tired of Star Wars, we still love it...but we do not really always see it in the right light and perspective of how the media world changed. And we became older.

And wiser?

3. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    Exactly

4. B Wilson

B Wilson Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 26, 2014
    I more excited for the sequel trilogy because I've always wanted to know what happens after all the events from the original trilogy. Mostly because Luke was my favorite character for a long time.

P.S. I like the prequels.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    I'm more excited for the sequel trilogy. I think the filmmakers of tody have learned a lot from Lucas' prequels. What works. What doesn't work. They are going to take that knowledge and make some really good movies. This is an exciting time to be a Star Wars fan.

6. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I know exactly when the trailer will hit: the same day these boards crash again. :p

7. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    I think I was hyped for TPM a lot, because I was curious about the new actors/characters and the trailer really intrigued me because it was not what I was expecting.

But I am definitely more excited about seeing the characters that I grew up with in this new Star Wars movie, and it looks more familiar and less like a video game.

I enjoyed the PT very much, but I prefer the OT look of TFA.

8. Solo-Skywalker

Solo-Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2014
    I more excited for this; new characters and old favorites (Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Peter Mayhew & Harrison Ford) collide to continue the space oddessy I fell in love with. While I was excited for "The Phantom Menace" I was also very young, today I get to see the growth of characters good or bad. Will I see the "Solo's" how powerful and wise is the "last jedi" etc...

65 days ...

9. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    The Phantom Menace was something that I expected to be just as good as the original movies. And so, yeah, I expected a lot, even though I knew that I wouldn't get that same feeling that I had when I was a kid anyway. Having said that, and knowing what a letdown the Prequels were to me (well, some of it, anyway), I again know that these new films won't have that same appeal, no matter how good it is. But I still just want it to be good. That's all I ask. Because in the end, that's all that matters. Expect less and hope for the best.

Can't wait.

lovelikewinter likes this.
  10. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    I don't know ... I mean it is Star Wars ... love or hate them; you just get hype thinking about it.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  11. Markpro

Markpro Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 21, 2013
    I watched ANH at Cinemas when it was released as an excited 7 year old and it blew me away , as did Empire and Jedi after it. I (like most) was super hyped up for TPM and after the trailer i was excited to see where the story would go but i never had the same feelings after watching the TPM trailer as i did after the recent "Chewie, were home" moment...i was genuinely surprised at how emotional i was at the final scene...it came as a complete surprise and left me dazed, nothing of the PT ever gave me that feeling, not even close.
    I actually like the PT mostly but i never had this level of anticipation about Menace, Clones or Sith.

Strongbow, D'an and PymParticles like this.
  12. BretHart

BretHart Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 29, 2015
    I disagree with you on both statements.. One, it wasn't Lucas decision to do a sequel trilogy. He thought of one back in the day, finished ROTJ, then PT and realized it was too much work for another trilogy, so he scrapped it - and said "the story is about anakin and his fall and redemption from his son". Then he got bored and started to think of a sequel trilogy, but decided instead to sell SW to Disney for 4 billion dollars. It was Disney who rushed to a sequel trilogy to make money off their investment and as they should. They spent the money and they have the right to make another Star Wars movie. They don't have to please Lucas or follow his wishes. They even scrapped his ideas of a new generation of teens and went with JJ Abrams and the writer of Empire to come up with what we are all anticipating. But they tried the writer of Toy Story 3, but according to JJ - he was terrible and couldn't think of any ideas.

Two - I'm not surprised at all Harrison Ford is returning. He hasn't had a hit in years.... And he already returned to the Indiana Jones franchise for the fourth movie. His last big successful hit was Air Force One in 1997. Since then - he has made:
    Six Days Seven Nights,
    Random Hearts
    What Lies Beneath (although I enjoyed this one - but wasnt a major hit)
    K-19
    Hollywood Homocide
    Firewall (massive bomb)
    Indiana Jones 4 (Box Office success but beat down by critics and audiences)
    Extraordinary Measures
    Morning Glory
    Cowboys & Aliens (I enjoyed it - but bombed)
    42 (I enjoyed it, put Black Panther on the map - but wasnt a smash hit)
    Paranoia
    Ender's Game (ouch, Harrison)
    Expendables 3

With this resume of films since 1997 - I'm surprised Harrison wasn't calling up Lucas / Disney everyday asking when will there be another Star Wars movie......

Skaddix likes this.
  13. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I was a lot more excited for the PT (or at least TPM). But that has a lot to do with the fact that my disappointment in the PT has tempered my expectations this time around.

14. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  15. BretHart

BretHart Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 29, 2015
    Yes, I feel the same way as this poster . . . . PT really tricked me. I really thought there was no way it was going to be bad, but Lucas shocked the world by disappointing everyone. Its ironic - now JJ is like the old school Lucas. A young, great filmmaker with an incredible resume and a great eye for cinema. This seems like the perfect combo - JJ & Star Wars. But I felt that way in 1998 with Lucas & new Star Wars trilogy. And wow - I couldn't believe how many mistakes he made. But filmmaking is a hard process and takes a lot of time and thought. I have no doubt The Force Awakens will be better than PT, but will it be anywhere near the OT ?? Thats the question we have.

lovelikewinter likes this.
  16. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I never imagined i could be more hyped for a movie than i was for the phantom menace but i am! For one thing with the last trilogy we kinda already knew where it was going. We were expecting the story of Anakin's beginnings and that he falls to the dark side. We just didn't know how and why. With the new trilogy we are going in practically clueless. Even the trailers aren't giving much away. Last time they were all in your face about it. They had this attitude of oh don't worry it's star wars it'll sell. Nevermind if it's well made or has a good story.

Now fast forward to TFA and they aren't being so cocky this time.
    J.J. really genuinely seems to be working hard to deliver a good movie. Not just for the harcore fans but for everyone!
    After Phantom menace came out i noticed a real drop in enthusiasm from most people. It was like the majority of everyone's excitement went from OMG STAR WARS AHHHHHH! YAHOOOOOO to KERPLUNK! when the following two episodes came.

Once Episode VII is done and over with it'll sorta be less exciting when the next two come as well. Unless of course TFA ends in a cliffhanger where you can't wait to see what happens next!

Is it December yet? God i just want this torture to end![face_nail_biting]

17. DarthAhem

DarthAhem Jedi Master star 1

May 6, 2014
    I think the lead up to TPM was more intense than this. I personally felt let down by that and didn't get anywhere near as excited for later films. I echo the earlier post that I am hopeful, but not expecting anything more than a typical blockbuster.

18. Knightstalker137

Knightstalker137 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2003
    Definately the PT. It was the first Star Wars movie in years, after I'd pretty much thought it was all over. Sure we'd heard Lucas talk about making prequels, but it had been mentioned so often over the years I'd pretty much given up hope it would ever happen.
    Plus the backstory of Vader and Obi-Wan was something I'd always been excited to see brought to the screen, so my enthusiasm for TPM was much higher then it is for TFA.
    I'm much more cautious with TFA at this point, and I won't allow myself to get caught up in the hype, and claim "IT WILL BE THE BEST STAR WARS MOVIE EVER!!!" like a lot of people seem to be doing. That's a sure fire way to set myself up for disappointment.

Dranem and BretHart like this.
  19. star wars geek

star wars geek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 20, 2014
    Had a trailer been released in September I think I would be more excited than I am. Pushing back the trailer has made me feel a little less excited because it feels like a deliberate marketing tactic rather than an admission the film is good/great. What I mean is, if I were the CEO of Disney or Lucasfilm and I had a good/great SW ep 7 I'd be proud to show the trailer - perhaps with little plot content - sooner rather than later. I don't think it would spoil much or anything.

As soon as the full trailer hits the net we can get a rough view of what TFA will be like and then my excitement levels will adjust. Trailers can have a huge impact on your peception of a film so fingers crossed, a good trailer and the expectation level should sky rocket. :)

20. Lord D'arg

Lord D'arg Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    I was too young to follow the time before TPM but I was AOTC and ROTS mad. My daily routine would be getting in from school and scouring the web for news. For TFA, its more like I'll spend a solid week checking here everyday and then I'll get bored for a bit.

21. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I'm confused how can you disagree with me when I'm just saying what happened in the past?:confused:[face_dunno]
    hey if you weren't surprised by Ford coming back than good for you doesn't mean I wasn't.
    nor do I get how me saying I never believed Lucas that there wouldn't be an ST with Luke and co have anything to do with being wrong since I was right about that. Also right about the fact that from 2005, give Lucas 10 year and we either get an ST released or an announcement for it. Also if I recall Lucas said that he started making the ST before selling the company so it was his decision nor would I say 3 years is rushing since that's the development of a good chunk of movies.

nightangel likes this.
  22. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Definitely more excited for this. It feels more like the Star Wars I remember and love. That's not to say I'm a PT hater, but I do feel more of an affinity for this trilogy so far.

ETA: I was not surprised Harrison Ford decided to return. Lots of actors who struggled with being identified with a particular character in their younger days come to terms with that identification as they age.

23. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I was excited like you wouldn't believe for the PT! I will never let myself get that excited again...that was brutal.

24. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    I think some it depends on your age. I was in my early to mid 20's when the prequel era hit and I was PUMPED for the Phantom Menace because of the relative drought of Star Wars from 1983-1999. I remember LucasArts kept my interest going and I wore out my VHS tapes during those dark years, but the lack of Star Wars related entertainment was rough. The only "new" Star Wars footage I recall after Return of the Jedi (and those weird TV movies) came in the form of Star Tours at Disneyland and some short clips in some of the video games of the time. And of course we had the Zahn novels but that was pretty much it.

When I heard about the Special Editions I lost my mind, and when I heard they were making NEW Star Wars movies I was ready to lose it. I followed the production of the prequels religiously. Subscribed to Star Wars insider and starting going to sites like this and Aint It Cool News to get every bit of info I could. Regardless of your opinion of the final product (I personally enjoyed the prequels) its hard for me to capture that same fervor for the ST so far though I am really looking forward to them.

So for me personally I was more excited for the prequels. From my perspective the 16 years wait between Jedi and Episode I was a barren wasteland of Star Wars fandom for the most part. The 16 years (!) between The Phantom Menace and The Force Awakens has been saturated with Star Wars stuff. Movies, Video games, really good TV cartoons... I feel spoiled! My hunger for Star Wars was much more in 1998 than it is now, but that is not to say I'm not hungry for more!

25. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    My hype for TFA doesn't really compare with the hype I had for the prequels (and I was not disappointed). I was more hyped for ROTS before the teaser trailer released than I am hyped for TFA after seeing two teaser trailers. I just have any little to no faith in Abrams because I don't like any of his other movies. Well, I have more reasons why I have no faith in Abrams, but those are meant for other threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.