main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST You more excited in 1998-2005 for PT or right now for ST ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BretHart, Oct 13, 2015.

?

More hyped back then for PT or right now for ST ?

1. Back then for the Prequel Trilogy

40.0%
  2. Right now for the Sequel Trilogy

60.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BretHart

BretHart Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 29, 2015
    I am not reading every thread on here - so I didn't realize there are some Anti-JJ Abrams guys out there. I thought the general consensus was that JJ is the savior to the franchise and is a perfect choice where as Lucas failed to deliver a good PT.

2. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    I would say that I was more hyped for the PT as a whole. I was a little young to know what exactly the big deal was with a new SW movie but it was everywhere. There seems to be a lot of hype for TFA but leading up to TPM it was almost hysteria from what I remember. I guess it's still 2 months away though and we've still got a trailer coming out so the reading on the hype meter could get bumped up a few notches. Hopefully in the next couple days!

3. SithedMyPants

SithedMyPants Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2004
    The ST 'hype' doesn't even come close the the fervor for the PT in that '96-'99 range. Personally, I'm more excited this time around because back then we already knew how the PT was going to end (and quite a few major story beats) before George even started shooting the film. With this go around, anything and everything is possible.

ThisHurricane and EMPEROR_WINDU like this.
  4. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm personally not anti-Abrams, I just don't like any of his movies. There's no denying most people like his movies though. Personally, I love six current films of the saga as whole and almost all equally and I hope I love, or even just like TFA.

ThisHurricane likes this.
  5. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    more hyped for tpm honestly, but then again all i was then was a 6th year senior at college and wondering where to go out partying on thursday, friday, saturday night and who was going to ride home on the pegs of the bmx bike with me.....jeez did we know how easy we had it then?
    but now that i know how PT turned out i'm very excited for my kids to see their first live action star wars movies in the theaters, so exited for them.
    and im hoping that the 2nd installment turns out to be the long term awesomest of all of them. i saw ESB when i was 7 and it might have blown me away even more than ANH did

6. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000
    Bingo. I feel mostly the same way. I still expect to fully enjoy this new trilogy. And, I am excited. But, I was obsessed round the clock for the prequels. The Luke cameo and separation of Luke, Han, and Leia has me bothered, as well. And, Han's death in this movie ensures that it will never happen. I didn't need an entire movie of it. But, one act of the movie with old friends sharing 1 last adventure with or without the new generation would have made us feel whole.

T-R- likes this.
  7. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    A) You forgot ANCHORMAN 2!!!
    [​IMG]

B) I'm pretty sure Harrison Ford doesn't give a ****.

8. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015

I agree with Bret hart. Ford tried to distance himself from SW after ROTJ. He acted like he didn't care about it. Now, after many years without being in the spotlight it seems like he's had a change of heart. Good for him.

9. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with that- but I'm sure he didn't beg for Star Wars to come back because he was desperate to be relevant again. He doesn't have to prove himself to anyone.

10. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    PT had me more excited simple because we had no new star wars. Outside of the fledgling EU we had nothing, crappy Marvel books and really bad mid to late 80's books.

T-R- and Dranem like this.
  11. Zev.Love.X

Zev.Love.X Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2015
    This exactly. I was I believe a junior in college when TPM was released and as a Star Wars kid, I had never expected to see another SW film. I was stoked out of my mind. And honestly, I still think TPM is the most "Star Wars" in style of all the PT films. I don't hate it.

JabbatheHumanBeing, T-R- and Granek like this.
  12. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I voted prequels for more excited. Mainly it was ROTS. I didn't really know how much I liked SW yet in the lead up to TPM, and being embroiled in the college life during the lead up to AOTC I was kept pretty well distracted. But for ROTS, I had just graduated, gotten out into the real world, and it was something great I could focus on. I don't think I'll ever be as excited for a movie as I was for ROTS.

That said, I think that a big part of the reason for that was because I was younger and didn't have a house, or kids or...well...many of the concerns and responsibilities that I do now. I am super excited for TFA, but (as I'm sure many others on here understand) I have much more on my mind at this point in my life-which kind of diminishes my level of excitement. I wouldn't be surprised if the fact that I'm 10 years older and (hopefully) more mature had an effect on that as well. That being said, TFA is actually the most I've been excited for a movie SINCE ROTS....

13. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    I was a casual Star Wars fan back in '99. Now I'm ALL IN! :D

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  14. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Same here! :)

15. Rhane-1138

Rhane-1138 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    It's not even close, really. The Phantom Menace was the first Star Wars film in more than a decade. It was being written and directed by George Lucas himself. The Force Awakens is a legally sanctioned fan film. It's exciting, but nothing like the build-up that existed in the late 90's.

ThisHurricane likes this.
  16. Solosaber

Solosaber Jedi Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    Although I was so extremely pumped and couldnt wait to see The Phantom Menace...,I wasnt on the internet/discussion forums to discuss it and try and find any details I could about it.

Well fast forward to today. Here I am typing away like a nerd...and I think that speaks for itself. I absolutely cannot wait for the ST!!!

Ive said it once and I'll say it again: When I was a kid...at the very end of ROTJ...me and my buddies didnt care about what happened before, we wanted to know what happens NEXT!!

And here we are

Sequel trilogy wins by a landslide!!!

17. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    I didn't cry after seeing the prequel trailers, & I was a 19 year old Star Wars freak for life when The Phantom Menace came out.

The Millenium Falcon & Luke's voice in the sequel teasers had my eyes "sweating" quite a bit. It feels like a return to my childhood; when magic was still real.

Xinau and PymParticles like this.
  18. MasterMoolah

MasterMoolah Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    I'm more excited for the ST. I can see why some may say the PT because those were the first Star Wars films since the originals. Fast forward til now and a lot of people don't know what to expect with SW now under new control (Disney) and no longer in Lucas' hands. However we saw from the PT that just because Lucas originated the idea of SW...doesn't mean he can make an effective film. I'm more excited for these films not only because the original cast is back, but because I think a lot of people realize why the PT didn't work. I think the ST will be much more serious than the PT. I think this will be SW marketed not only for kids, but for the older audience of fans who came up with it and now have kids they want to introduce to the legacy.

Also, I like J.J. Abrams. I think he overdid it with the gloss and solar flare in the Star Trek films, but overall they were not bad movies in any sense. I think he's a good Director for a film like this.

D'an likes this.
  19. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    You more excited in 1998-2005 for PT or right now for ST ?
    Honestly, my pitch level of excitement was probably in 2004/2005 for ROTS than anything else. TPM was exciting, but I was too young to be on message boards scavenging for spoilers. I could be more patient back then. AOTC was exciting too, but the disappointment of TPM kinda dampened that too. ROTS was promising and it was what we had all been waiting for since the start of the PT... plus, it was when I first joined the JC board and actively took part in the "spoil me for episode III" hype.

I'm excited for the ST, don't get me wrong. I feel this trilogy could really redeem the bad wrap the "newer" SW films get. They have a nice mixture of OT feel along with PT graphics... but not knowing 100% where the story is going to go, how important certain characters will be.... it makes me feel slightly nervous. After TFA I'm sure I'll be right back in completely trying to figure out episode VIII, but until then, I'm just somewhat excited for the new movies... not hanging on to every rumour like I did with ROTS.

20. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    I was excited for Episode 1, even though from the trailers and marketing it was obviously not what most of us old geezer SW fans had imagined the story before ANH would be like. It was awesome to see the country consumed by Star Wars in the months leading to TPM.

After TPM, I wasn't so exited any more. Didn't even see Episode 2 in theater until a week after it opened. Only got "into" the Episode 3 hype because I was in the 501st by then, but only saw it once in theater and have only seen bits and pieces since.

The sequels, to me, are a chance at "redemtion". I am so excited I almost can't take it. I feel like that little kid I was in 1978 when he first heard there was going to another Star Wars movie.

PymParticles , GregMcP and Xinau like this.
  21. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    No that is not the general consensus here. The PT was great.

We are just hoping JJ can make a decent movie (his other movies are bad) and not ruin the saga because the ending to rotj was perfect. Im more hopeful for Rian Johnson and Colin.

22. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    TPM in 1999... I was far more obsessed with The Matrix that year. It came along, I saw it, it didn't work for me.

This movie, I've had fun following its development. It's the right movie at the right time for me, and so far everything I have seen delights me. I don't care about all the nonsense the pre-haters above pre-complain about. It looks good.

I'm sure next year I'll be nerding out on the Neil Blomkamp Alien movie, but right here right now, this is it.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just hope the hype for Episode 9 rivals ROTS's.

24. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    The question is a little too black and white for my taste. I was hyped in the late '90s and early '00s for the PT and I am hyped about the ST now. Even if I can separate my fandom for the saga and view it with a critical eye, my love for the saga goes beyond going out of my way to be a critic. To do so would ruin the fun of any of the first six parts of the saga both OT and PT, and I expect for the ST, too. Holes can be poked and warts can be found in all of it. I expect the same will be said of the ST, but it is still Star Wars. I am eager to follow the journeys of new characters and the continuing journeys of old characters. I am hyped about Star Wars in general, I was back in 1999 and I am today, too much to place a value on one time over the other.

25. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015
    I was a little young when the PT came out and wasn't too into SW really until ROTS was about to come out so I haven't been this hyped for a SW movie before. Its going to be a hard wait once we get to December.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.