NYC, NY You must see this movie before Friday

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by BobaFettWBlasterRifle, Aug 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFettWBlasterRifle Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey, gang---a restored version of Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" is playing at the Film Forum (on W. Houston St) until Thursday. If you are any kind of Star Wars fan, you owe it to yourself to see this flick on a big screen. Not only are many of the design elements obvious inspirations for a lot of the architecture in Star Wars (especially on Coruscant), the storyline places it among the very first examples of science fiction, in any form! There aren't enough great things I could say about this film---tremendously influential, imitated hundreds of times, and still entertaining to a modern audience. The restored and newly recorded score is as engaging as any of John Williams'. The acting is among the best I've seen in a silent film--it's amazing how much emotion these folks could bring across simply with facial expressions and gestures. George Lucas would kill to have actors this good playing the roles in his films.

Like I said, this run of the film is ending on Thursday, so go go go! ("XXX" will still be there when you get back, I assure you...)
  2. Anaquinne Jedi Knight

star 3
    I was lucky enough to see this up at school, for a film class, with real live piano accompaniment, just like it was originally shown. It indeed kicks Shaak. I didn't know it was ending Thursday... I'll definitely try to see it again before then.
  3. BobaFettWBlasterRifle Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hopefully (and logically), such a bigtime restoration will lead to a proper DVD release. I'm imagining a Criterion edition with the restored version and the more common version (and the Giorgio Moroder version too, why not?), with interviews with filmmakers (including noted Criterion contributor George Lucas), and the music video for "Radio Gaga"....... As long as it doesn't come out on Nov. 12---I'm already spending enough $$ on that day as it is.....
  4. BobaFettWBlasterRifle Jedi Knight

star 3
    From the Dream Come True file, this new print of Metropolis is now playing at the ZIEGFELD (pause for gasps and scattered applause). So you can enjoy it in all its splendor and not feel like you're sitting in the back of an 18-wheeler watching a movie.

Go.....now! Say hi to Monique.
  5. Fermez_La_Boushh Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks for this post! I couldn't get to the earlier screening, and I'm glad not to miss this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.