main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends You Oughta Know (songfic, angst, Jaina/Jag/Skawnkyr)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jaya Solo, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Title: You Oughta Know
    Author: Jaya Solo
    Timeframe: After Swarm War
    Characters: Jaina, Jag, Shawnkyr
    Genre: Song fic, angst
    Summary: Jag found someone else, and Jaina?s angry.
    Notes: I was listening to this song and it spawned a bunny. A very angsty one.
    These lyrics belong to Alanis Morissette, and I?m just borrowing them. (And I edited them to fit to the rating a wee bit better.)
    For Inara. :)

I want you to know, that I'm happy for you
    I wish nothing but the best for you both

Jaina choked another drink down as she saw the holo news replay, yet again, the announcement of Jag?s engagement to Shawnkyr Nuruodo.

When she had first heard the news, she had pretended to be happy for the two of them. She was Jaina Solo, and she had an image to preserve, at least in public.

Once she managed to retreat from her friends and family, who were far too fixated on making sure that she was really okay with the engagement, she found refuge in her apartment, alone, with a pint of Whyrren?s Reserve.

An older version of me
    Does she speak eloquently
    And would she have your baby
    I'm sure she'd make a really excellent mother

They had talked about having kids later on in life and what kind of parents they would be. Jag had been sweet and always reassured her that she would be a better mother than her mom, but Jaina knew better. She knew she would be a horrible mother because she was too focused and dedicated to her own work.

Jag wanted kids and she knew he?d make a great father. He would be able to find a balance between his work and his family, and he would find a way to put down his work long enough to play with and raise the kids.

Shawnkyr must have fit the mold of the woman that Jag wanted to raise children with. She had always seemed cold and distant to Jaina, but then again, so was Jag, so they would probably raise perfect, well trained children.

Jaina?s children with Jag would have neither been perfect or well trained. They would have had too much of her spirit, which Jag obviously found distasteful.

Cause the love that you gave that we made wasn't able
    To make it enough for you to be open wide, no
    And every time you speak her name
    Does she know how you told me you'd hold me
    Until you died, till you died
    But you're still alive

As Jaina remembered all of the times Jag held her and whispered sweet things into her ear, all the times he kissed her, all the times they made love, all of the planning they made for the future? she felt an intense anger rise inside of her. She hurled her glass across the room as she thought about how Jag must have planned a future with Shawnkyr and the way he must now whisper things into her ears, trace his fingers across her bare back, and the way he must kiss her now.

How could he have left her for Skawnkyr?

And I'm here to remind you
    Of the mess you left when you went away
    It's not fair to deny me
    Of the cross I bear that you gave to me
    You, you, you oughta know

Jaina staggered to her feet as she went after her collection of holos. She rifled through the storage container until she found a data card containing images of her and Jag, back when they were happy. She grabbed her lightsaber and used the hilt to smash the data card to tiny pieces. But that didn?t take away the pain inside of her.

You seem very well, things look peaceful
    I'm not quite as well, I thought you should know

It had been three months since they had announced their engagement and Jaina had spent the majority of those three months looking at life through a Whyrren?s Reserve bottle. While Jag?s life was spent planning for his wedding and marriage, Jaina?s life had revolved around alcohol, to her detriment.

She had been fired from her squadron for flying drunk, and the Jedi had taken away her title of Jedi Knight for going to a diplomatic meeting, drunk.

Her family and friends had tried to help her, but Jaina had p

2. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    Had to grab first.

NOw I need to read :D

FL @};-

Wow, took me all night to finally get back but here I am...[face_blush]

That was ansty, that was for sure... Although, I think they both are better without eachother.

Great Job....

FL @};-

3. Peachy

Peachy Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2006
    Oooh, angsty!! :D The song you chose is awesome, I was actually listening to it when I saw your fic. I love the way you portrayed Jag- he's not heartless, but he's not obsessed with Jaina. And the idea of Jag with Shawnkyr... I'm not normally a fan of the pairing, but it works so well here.

Very nice job! =D=

4. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Do I have the best master, or what? *glomps Jaya*

I am at work, so I can't leave an extended review, but I'll come back later. Thanks for posting this! It makes me happy :D

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Absolutely beautiful angst! =D=

6. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Flowerlady
    Had to grab first.
    :D It?s fun to get reactions like that!

Wow, took me all night to finally get back but here I am...
    It?s understandable. ;)

That was ansty, that was for sure... Although, I think they both are better without eachother.
    Yes, it was angsty! Poor Jaina. I felt bad being so mean to her. ;) Yeah, I agree that they?re better without each other.

Great Job....
    Thanks!

Peachy
    Oooh, angsty!!
    Why thank you! I kinda knew it would be angsty.

The song you chose is awesome, I was actually listening to it when I saw your fic.
    Well, the song itself is angsty, so the story really was born out of the song. It?s kinda fun to see what happens when you listen to songs from your high school years. ;)

I love the way you portrayed Jag- he's not heartless, but he's not obsessed with Jaina.
    Thanks! I think that Jag has been kinda consistently portrayed in canon, but I don?t really think that Jaina was portrayed at all consistently in canon except that she?s kinda unstable. At least that?s what I got from my readings. That instability manifested itself in this story.

And the idea of Jag with Shawnkyr... I'm not normally a fan of the pairing, but it works so well here.
    Thanks! I think they?re a pretty good couple, from what I?ve read of course. ;) I definitely think that Shawnkyr is much more stable than Jaina is. ;)

Very nice job!
    Thanks! :D

Inara
    Do I have the best master, or what? *glomps Jaya*
    Of course you do. ;)

I am at work, so I can't leave an extended review, but I'll come back later. Thanks for posting this! It makes me happy
    :D I?m glad. I look forward to your extended review. ;)

VaderLVR64
    Absolutely beautiful angst!
    :: snicker :: There?s something funny about beautiful describing angst. ;) I?m glad you liked it! :D

7. Jaina_Solo_15

Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 5, 2002
    Ouch.

I loved it, Master, honestly. It was very angsty, but Jaina seemed very real. And while I certainly don't hope that, that's the way that things turn out in pro fic, I do love this little fic. It's very well written and an awesome fic. :D

8. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Man? Jaina sure is a mess. I wouldn't want to be in her spot? especially when what Jag says to her is quite true. She has changed, and not for the better.

I'm not a fan of J/Z, and I hope that doesn't happen in profic, but it's an interesting twist. :D

Nice work. :)

KT

9. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Jaina_Solo_15
    Ouch.
    I was listening to this cd with that song on it and it seemed to fit the Jaina I knew from the NJO and beyond. She seems a bit messed up. ;) I do hope she gets better.

I loved it, Master, honestly.
    [face_blush] Considering how much you like Jaina, I was kinda scared to show you this! It means a lot for you to stay that. :)

It was very angsty, but Jaina seemed very real.
    :) Thanks! I took one of the most prevalent characterizations of Jaina from the NJO and ran with it. Glad it?s believable that she?s not happy. ;)

And while I certainly don't hope that, that's the way that things turn out in pro fic, I do love this little fic. It's very well written and an awesome fic.
    Thanks! :D I hope she gets better too. ;) I don?t mind Jag too much. ;)

Killik_Twilight
    Man? Jaina sure is a mess. I wouldn't want to be in her spot? especially when what Jag says to her is quite true. She has changed, and not for the better.
    I know. Poor kid. So messed up. She hit her teenage years hard and never grew out of them.

I'm not a fan of J/Z, and I hope that doesn't happen in profic, but it's an interesting twist.
    I didn?t really mean that. ;) It was more of a comment Jag was making about her relationship with Zekk. The profic authors tend to characterize Zekk as being practically a puppy that follows Jaina around. Silly profic. ;) So Jag?s comment was more of an insult to both Jaina and Zekk. Zekk would be the only one that would take her back now. (Poor Zekkie! I didn?t mean it! [:D])

Nice work.
    Thanks! :D

10. DreamingIce

DreamingIce Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 8, 2005
    *falls off chair in shock* Master Jaya's writing angst? *blinks* Strange... *sneaks off to congratulate padawan sister for corruping her former master* ;)

In a word... Ouch. The worst part is that everything Jags saying is true... Stupid Profic! :mad: They (profic authors) should be sporked! (Well, a large number of them at least... Who's coming with me? I bags Denning though! :p [face_devil])

And while I maybe one of those people who is a die hard J/J'er... Jag/Kyrn works great in my opinion (I blame Inara for that! ;))

All I can hope is that LotF doesn't screw Jaina up even more... (Or make Jacen any more scary like... [face_worried])

Oh, I thought it was brilliant, despite the angst. :D Very true to the emotional states of the characters. =D=

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Angsty is right, and the perfect fight for this very angry and hurt song. =D=

12. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    DreamingIce
    *falls off chair in shock* Master Jaya's writing angst? *blinks* Strange... *sneaks off to congratulate padawan sister for corruping her former master*
    :p Master Jaya is capable of writing angst. She?s just never wrote angry girl angst before.

In a word... Ouch. The worst part is that everything Jags saying is true... Stupid Profic! They (profic authors) should be sporked! (Well, a large number of them at least... Who's coming with me? I bags Denning though!)
    Heh. I agree sadly! I wish she could be nice and normal.

And while I maybe one of those people who is a die hard J/J'er... Jag/Kyrn works great in my opinion (I blame Inara for that!)
    Heh. I do too. I?m perfectly fine with J/J or J/Z. Not so much with J/K. Guess the next tall, dark haired, green eyed man that comes into Jaina?s life might be the next Mr. Jaina Solo.

All I can hope is that LotF doesn't screw Jaina up even more... (Or make Jacen any more scary like...)
    Ha. I?ve lost all faith in profic. :p

Oh, I thought it was brilliant, despite the angst. Very true to the emotional states of the characters.
    Why thank you. :D I?m glad you thought it was. I was hoping to capture the angsty, unhappy side of Jaina.

Healer_Leona
    Angsty is right, and the perfect fight for this very angry and hurt song.
    Thanks! :D I?m glad it was believable and angsty. I was in a mood. ;)

13. JediTristan

JediTristan Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Nice. I think every fandom should have an ALanis songfic.

This was particularly well done, and I always a enjoy a nice rare angsty Jaina, with some steak sauce. Hah.

See ya!

~ Tris

14. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    JediTristan
    Nice. I think every fandom should have an ALanis songfic.
    Heh. Good point. :D

This was particularly well done, and I always a enjoy a nice rare angsty Jaina, with some steak sauce. Hah.
    Heh. Thanks so much! It was kinda fun to represent Jaina in a light that others rarely use. Poor Jaina.

15. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    *stops singing the song*
    Yay! Another Alanis Fan? :)

=D= That was fantastic; almost angsty how it all fit together. Well done!

16. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Chilla
    Gah! I forgot to reply to you!

*stops singing the song*
    Yay! Another Alanis Fan?

It?s been a while, but I liked most of her stuff in high school. I just thought it fit. ;)

That was fantastic; almost angsty how it all fit together. Well done!
    Thanks! It was such an angsty fic. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.