main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT You really shouldn't mess with the title of The CT Forum Social Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by eclipseSD, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    This is true. We're all crazy.

You know, this sort of makes me feel better about myself. :D

2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    We aim to please.

;)

3. Tayschrenn

May 24, 2002
    [Mr Burns] Excellent [/Mr Burns]

By the way, you favourite characters in the Star Wars Saga are the Royal Guards?

4. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    They sure are. I'm really not sure why, but I find them fascinating. Vader comes in at a close second behind the guards.

5. Tayschrenn

May 24, 2002
    Your nuts!

(wait, this has been established)

Well, still, don't you think that certain characters with more air time could possibly be better? I am not entirely disagreeing with you - they are pretty cool and up there for me. IMO, if Palpy and Vader were any different, I would never have bothered with watching the second movie. The two of them make the Saga all worthwhile.

6. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    if Palpy and Vader were any different, I would never have bothered with watching the second movie

Aha! I completely agree. Star Wars is completely about the interesting villains for me. Some of the lesser characters do have their charms, though.

Sy Snootles for example. :p

7. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Vader is my favorite main character. The Royal Guards are like my pet characters. They don't really do anything but I really like them.

8. Tayschrenn

May 24, 2002
    Same here Mara!

I don't know if either of you are familiar but there is a book series by Robert Jordan called The Wheel of Time. Anyways, I read the whole thing now for the sake of one character called Isam who is hell cool but is never in it. So far he has appeared in two chapters each in a different book. I pretty much loathe the rest of the series now but I keep on reading in case Isam will be in it.

Minor characters and bad guys can really make a story for me. :D

9. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    They make a story great for me as well. You have a to have a main villian for the hero to get any action.

10. Tayschrenn

May 24, 2002
    And the villian has to be really cool so you can root for his/her side over the side of the light-lovers! :p

11. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Being the good guy is overrated. While I was growing up everyone always wanted to be the good guy. BAH!!!!!!!!!! Make me the bad guy so I can raise hell and not play by the rules. It's so much more fun.

[face_mischief] [face_devil]

12. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    It always made me mad that Vader made so few appearances in the EU. I read the entire Bounty Hunter Wars series thinking he would be in it since his pic was on the cover, but all he got was a brief cameo in one chapter in each book! Bah!

13. Tayschrenn

May 24, 2002
    I couldn't agree with you more.

// secretly unties Salty's shoelaces

Mahwhahahahahhahaha!

14. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    [face_laugh]

I'll get you for that when you're not paying attention.

[face_devil]

I haven't read any EU other than the movie novels so I have no clue how much Vader appears. I would venture a guess as to part of the reason why. I don't think it was clear how much ground was going to be covered in Episode III. So, my guess is that was off limits until E3 was made. I'm sure there will be lots of Vader EU once the movies are completed. There will be plenty of time and ground to cover between E3 and ANH.

15. Tayschrenn

May 24, 2002
    That is probably very true.

He was in Shadows of the Empire quite a bit, which I enjoyed thoroughly because the Emperor was as well. Pity Xizor featured so heavily, that little upstart! Thought he was better than Vader! Pah!

16. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I never read SotE, but I did play the game. It's a very interesting story.

17. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    SotE also portrayed Vader as a complete idiot sometimes. I wasn't so happy about that.

Honestly, as much as I would like it, I'm not sure it would be a good idea for there to be a lot of Vader EU. The mysteriousness of his character and his inscrutability is a lot of what makes him so fascinating. It's one of those scenarios where there's an inverse relationship between how much you get to see a character and how interested you are in them.

18. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Upstart?! Xizor's not fit to kiss Vader's boots! Waste of character, IMO. [face_plain]

19. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I agree but I don't think it will be a topic that's left alone. How do you feel about getting a lot of information on Palpy?

20. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I don't think I want to know details about Palpatine's youth, etc. I like the mysteriousness, if that's even a word ;)

21. Tayschrenn

May 24, 2002
    Mara - I know exactly what you mean. It is the sort of 'Sauron' senario, from LotR. Sauron is the big bad guy but we never see him throughout the entire series, and I believe his voice is heard but a few times. This certainly adds to the aura of the character and keeps us (read: us villian-lovers) interested and wanting to know more. The only problem with that,I guess, was The Silmarillion did give us more on Sauron. This is dangerous because it can either help us to like the character even more, or damage what we already felt for it.

Salty - I'd have to go with yes on that one. The Emperor, although my favourite character, needs more light shown on him. I love him how he is, but I am so curious as to some parts of his history. How he got in touch with the Sith, how he learnt of the force, why he is evil, how he build up the Empire and disbanded the Senate, etc. Very little of this can be revealed in Episode III, IMO.

22. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I'm not sure how much more I want to know about Palpy. I'm pretty content with the information we have right now.

23. Tayschrenn

May 24, 2002
    But how did he become so powerful in the Dark Side? Its tearing me apart!

24. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Why ask why?

What part of Palpy's character would be illuminated by knowing how he got so powerful?

25. Naccha

Naccha Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 1999
    It would explain how the dark side seduces and conquers Jedis and maybe we'll get the true identity of Palpy...if there is one...
    Don't you wish there was a chat room on this site? I like posting and all but for the social threads especially...chatting would rock...