CT You really shouldn't mess with the title of The CT Forum Social Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by eclipseSD, Jan 17, 2003.

1. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Oh, I'd watch the World Cup like that :cool:

I'm sure I'll catch a few games anyway and then complain again that football (don't say the s-word!) is boring...
  2. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8
    It really is boring though. If the games finished at like 14-12 or something it would be a lot more interesting to watch. But games that end 1-0 or even tie at 1-1 are just booooooring.

Also, this is weird...

Darth Vader may thus be used to educate the public about borderline personality disorder and help combat stigma associated with mental illness.

Sorry but... how is looking at Anakin/Vader going to help people feel more comfortable with mental illness? I think that would make people more uncomfortable, knowing those who need help have the capacity to become what he did.
  3. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    I watched the European Basketball Championship finale (or semi-finale) last year, and was shocked to see a sport where **** actually happens :eek: Though I certainly haven't become a fan.
    It's why I watch F1. Well, that, and that's a sport I will never ever be able to do, so it's the perfect spectator sport. I don't get the appeal of watching overpaid ***holes do something you can do in your backyard.

Analyzing an iconic character's psyche? Fine. Saying looking at a British farmer in a plastic suit voiced by a black ex-stutterer might help people? Dumb!
  4. Slowburn Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I'm the same way. I don't get the whole sports mentality that people have. I have a formerly close friend that goes insane over sports. She is under the impression that every team that is local or within her state is superior to every other and, while watching it, she goes insane over it and yells at the players. I could never get into that kind of thing. I mean, I played baseball as a kid but it really wasn't my choice. I just don't understand where people get this passion for a mere game.

I can understand racing to an extent though. I'm big into muscle car modification and I love finding challengers on the street, but that is the fun of it because you never really know what is under anyone else's hood. NASCAR isn't that way, though; every car on that track has to be equal and the driving is what counts. On the streets sometimes you'll get a rich kid who has no idea how to drive or a great driver who has no modifications, but I pride myself on both my driving and my modifications.
  5. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Strangely enough, I understand the yelling. I've done it myself when watching that sport I don't care for. Hell, I'm still mad that referee gave Italy that penalty against Australia in overtime at the World Cup 4 years ago. And yelling at the Italian drama queens in general. And at missed goals my grandma could have made.
    I think it's human nature to yell - you should see me play a certain online shooter :p

I think motor sports are just more extraordinary. You see a guy in shorts running all the time (sort of), or a dude on a bike. Apart from teenagers who think their 1998 Golf GT is the best thing since sliced bread, people generally don't do anything remotely exciting with their cars.
    Granted, you can take your car to Nürburgring and track days, but I don't think they'll let my mom's Renault Clio in :p
  6. Slowburn Jedi Youngling

star 4
    [face_laugh]

Very true. I've had training with driving, plus I've been doing it since a young age (illegally, of course). I never wanted to do it professionally, I'm just interested in cars in general. I've got a 2007 Ford Mustang GT and a 1969 Dodge Charger, both with heavy mods. I used to have '66 Mustang but ran into some financial crap last year and had to sell it. I just grew up around cars, and not much else ever appealed to me apart from American Muscle. I can appreciate anything that can go fast, though, I just wouldn't drive it. I've always been partial to the Mustang franchise, but I'm not one of those guys that says Ford is better than Dodge for baseless reasons.

I can understand yelling at video games, seeing as I've done enough yelling and cursing myself. I guess I just could never get into sports enough to lose it.
  7. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Heh, we're kind of opposites. I don't even have a driver's license! I did drive as a kid, though. In Turkey, where nobody gives a damn. The son of a family we're friends with drove his dad's truck all over town - when he was 12 :D
  8. Slowburn Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I don't really consider that strange. Having traveled a lot, I realize that most countries do not share the American obsession with cars (even if most have no idea how to drive them correctly). It's highly illegal to drive without a license here, but as far as I know it would just be a moving violation when it comes to being charged with it. I grew up in a small town with no local law enforcement (we were within another town's jurisdiction but it was never patrolled), so chances of being caught were slim. I live in the middle of a city now and I have extreme road rage when it comes to the incompetent drivers here; I would be beyond pissed if I saw a little kid behind the wheel. [face_laugh]
  9. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Car obessession = [image=http://thedemotivators.com/wp-content/original/2010_03/the_tie_lotus.jpg]
  10. Slowburn Jedi Youngling

star 4
  11. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    By all accounts, I should be somewhat car obsessed or at least an avid driver. Germany makes the best cars and my dad prides himself on his skills with everything that has a steering wheel. And yet I have to make do with Need for Speed and GTA...
  12. Slowburn Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Truth be told, I'm not a huge fan of German cars. I mean, I can appreciate them and I'm a bigger fan of them than with Japanese cars, but I've always been more into American Muscle. It's just the styling plus cubic inches; when the rest of the world was concerned with gas mileage, America said "screw that, I want to go fast". Now American Muscle is dead and the average American has no interest in cars apart from going to point A to point B. They'll drive their little stock Ford Focus' without caring how stupid it looks. It just makes me want to cry.

There is only one car currently in production that I like, and that is the 2008-up Dodge Challenger. ****ing gorgeous machine, and she's got the power to back it up. I like the 2005-2009 Mustang GTs obviously, seeing as I drive one,, but the changes they made to the 2010-up model just made it into a chick car, not a muscle car.

The 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT-8.
    [image=http://www.cars.com/features/autoshows/2008/chicago/coverage/images/2008_dodge_challenger_srt8/2008_dodge_challenger_srt8_1_430.jpg]
  13. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I want one. Badly. Ha.

Also, this:

[image=http://i47.tinypic.com/fmidxj.jpg]
  14. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    LOL....nice use of Indy there. [face_laugh]
  15. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Heh.

I watched Germany vs Australia yesterday. 4 goals. FOUR GOALS!

Yeah, still a boring-ass sport...
  16. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    (delayed reaction)
    I like the article about Anakin having BPD. His unhealthy relationship history, at least, is a really common thread among sufferers. I have no idea what that diagnosis has to do with educating people about personality disorders, let alone making anyone who has BPD feel better about it, but I always enjoy reading those sorts of analyses.

Also, see me. See me pointedly ignore all sports-related talk in this thread. Ignore, me, ignore.

:p
  17. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Good thing you posted. This way I have somewhere to mention - without double-posting - that yesterday was my 9th anniversary as TLJ.
  18. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Happy birthday. I made you a cake.

*posts pictures of foodstuff, women in bikinis, etc.*

Oh wait, this isn't JCC. :p
  19. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    This.

Anyone still wondering why I don't like the sport?
  20. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    I'm still wondering why we have a sports forum :p
  21. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Because sports are awesome and fun to talk about.

Just not soccer :p
  22. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    I said not to use the s-word!
  23. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    So the s-word (the one that rhymes with torts) is banned from this forum? O:)
  24. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    No, because you can still talk about the best sport of them all: chess.
  25. DarthButt Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I like to think there is a difference between games and sports. :p