main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~* You Set Me Free*~- Update 4/24!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by val solo, Feb 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. val solo

val solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 22, 2000
    4/24-- I've moved this story over to the Beyond the Saga forum New thread!

Title: You Set Me Free
    Author: val solo
    Setting: NJO era/ Post-Remnant (spoilers!)
    Main Characters: Jacen Solo/Danni Quee

Wow! I've not posted anything for a very long time, but I'm going to give this a shot. Okay, right up front I'll warn you that this story has some spoilers for the NJO, including Remnant, the most recent release. I've liked the character of Danni Quee since Vector Prime and am glad to finally see that she just might be getting a larger role to play in things. :) I'm not sure how involved this one will become, so I'm not going to even make any predictions.

Just enjoy!
    ~~~~~~~~~~**~~~~~~~~~~**~~~~~~~~~~**

You Set Me Free

Chapter 1?

?Who do they think they?re kidding?? Mara Skywalker whispered in her husband?s ear.

Luke Skywalker chuckled softly without looking away from his monitor. He knew his wife was referring to his nephew, Jacen, and the pretty, young scientist, Danni Quee. The two had been stealing glances at one another for the last hour, which only served to solidify Luke?s suspicions after finding the two alone in the corridor of the Jade Shadow. Although they hadn?t been caught in a compromising position, so to speak, Luke could tell that their meeting was becoming more intimate than a mere discussion of dodgy surge arrestors.

?It is pretty obvious, isn?t it?? he replied.

?You got that right! There?s more pheromones floating around in here than a Falleen matchmaking festival,? she snorted.

Luke looked up at her innocently. ?Is there such a thing??

Now Mara chuckled. ?It was just a joke, farm boy.? Leaning over she pressed a kiss to Luke?s lips. ?That?s what I love about you, dear.?

?My gullibility??

?Yeah, well, that and that thing you do with?? Her voice stopped abruptly, but she finished the rest of her message via the Force. Luke?s eyes widened and then a mischievous grin spread across his face.

?You know, we?ve got a few more hours in hyperspace. What do you say we go elsewhere and give these two some time alone to figure things out??

?Think they?ll be able to do that in just a few hours? It took us a few years!? she challenged.

Luke reached over and gently caressed the side of Mara?s face. ?Yeah, well, they?ve already got an advantage over our start.?

She stared at him waiting for the punch line. ?Which is???

?She?s not trying to kill him.?

?Ha, ha. Very funny,? Mara replied trying not to laugh but failing miserably. Slowly she stood, glanced at the other two occupants who were stealing longing looks at one another and shook her head. Then she turned back to Luke with a twinkle in her eye. ?I?ll be waiting for you, Skywalker,? she purred. She sauntered out of the room knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was watching her every move.

?Is Aunt Mara okay?? Jacen asked snapping his uncle out of a love-induced trance.

?Hmm? Oh? yeah? she?s fine. Just a little tired is all.? Luke stretched his arms above his head and yawned. ?In fact, I?m a little beat myself,? he added trying to sound nonchalant. ?I think I?m going to go join her--- in a nap,? he stressed emphatically. ?You two can handle the bridge, right??

?Sure,? Jacen assured the older man. ?You go ahead and get some?sleep,? he added with a quick wink. Luke blushed crimson and hastily exited the deck. Jacen couldn?t help but laugh out loud at his uncle?s obvious discomfort. It had to be his Solo blood that urged him to taunt the man so.

Soon enough Jacen?s laughter ended when he realized he was all alone with Danni. She grinned over at him and then returned to busily punching keys and perusing data at her work station. Her curly, blond hair cascaded down her back and Jacen marveled at how soft it looked. He had to suppress a desire to plunge his hands into it. Jacen shook his head and refocused his drifting thoughts. Dealing with a

2. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Gr-Adm-Thrawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2002
    Welcome back Val .. long time no see.

it's gerat to have you back.

that was excellent by the way.

the Admiral

3. BlackCougar

BlackCougar Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2003
    shes back shes back shes back Val is back yay and she brings a wonderful fic with her too more more more more

JediFalcon

4. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Wahoooooo!!! VAL IS BACK! VAL IS BACK!!! :D Good to see you again, Val! :) Now, I'm actually going to read this! ;) But I couldn't help but cheer and jump up and down when I saw you'd returned! :D

Jae Angel

5. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    That was wonderful! :D

6. Rogue_of-Peace

Rogue_of-Peace Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Okay, after seeing your other new fic, I'm confused: are you for J/Tah or J/DQ?

This looks promising as well. MTFBWY on both your fics.

7. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    I'm for love, Rogue-of-Peace. LOL! :D I love mush, and right now Jacen is my inspiration. I'd been batting around a Jacen/Tahiri thing since Traitor--- hence, my other fic. But after reading Remnant, I could see him with Danni, too. It's taken me a while to get a grip on his character,and now I've got enough ideas rattling around in my head for two stories, more or less. That's why I'm not limiting myself to just one possibility for Jacen. I hope that clears things up for ya! :D

And thanks for the welcome back, guys! It's been a long time coming. :D

8. Rogue_of-Peace

Rogue_of-Peace Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    ::ROP groans:: [eyesroll] Fine then. :p

Now then, to make me REALLY happy, do a J/TK story. :D

What type of story will this be? A continuation from Remnant focussed on J/DQ?

9. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Awww, I loved it! Especially the little innuendo between Luke and Mara! :D And poor Jacen and Danni! They know they want to kiss each other! ;)

Am I right in guessing that this is going to be continued?

Jae Angel

10. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Yeah, they soooooo want to kiss! ;) Have you read Remnant yet, NJ?

Anyway, I'll overlook that whole groan/eye roll thing, ROP. :)To answer your questions, yes,it is pretty much a continuation of Remnant, and I'm sorry that I won't be able to make you truly happy because I don't think I'll ever do a Jacen/TK fic. Her character is too dry for my tastes. I know there are some other fics with her out there though, so be sure to check those out. :D

11. PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL

PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    That was quite lovely, Val. It's a pleasure to see you writing again. . . . .

12. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Prophet :D, how are you? I haven't been around in forever. I finally decided I needed to write something before I forgot how!!!

13. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Nope, Val. I haven't read Remnant yet. :) I'm getting a lot of flack for it too from my beta! ;)

I've been told that I won't dislike Jag anymore after I read it. I kinda like not liking him! [face_blush]

Jae Angel

14. Obi_Wans_love_child

Obi_Wans_love_child Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    Who is this fool who keeps telling you to read remnant? Oh uhhhh nm.

So I see Jacen and Danni here and then we have Jacen and Tahiri in another one. Do we get a Jacen and big bird one later on? ;)

I am truly enjoying your writing Val.

OWLC

15. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    Oh my goodness, I haven't been this excited in ages! Yay! You're back!

And writing Jacen! Yay! He's got to be the most underrated EU character when it comes to fics...which is very depressing.

Jacen shook his head and refocused his drifting thoughts. Dealing with a horde of savage Yuuzhan Vong or a fleet full of angry Imperials--- not a problem. Making coherent, intelligent conversation with a certain green-eyed beauty--- now that was a different story altogether. Great line!

The whole thing was great, and I'm anxiously waiting for more!

Is it too soon to ask for more?

16. Admiral_Lelila

Admiral_Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2001
    WOW

?there was something special between Danni Quee and Jacen Solo?something that was only growing stronger the more time they spent together.

Val, you have been missed.

~Lelila~

17. PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL

PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    I am well, m'lady. Though I fail to see how one could 'lose' ones ability to write. . . . ;)

18. SpacedOutAnna

SpacedOutAnna Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2002
    Wonderful! I usually don't really like Danni but I love how you write her! I loved 'Getting Over It' - so it's great to see another fic! More soon I hope!

Anna

19. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Thanks for the compliment, SpacedOutAnna! :) I don't know if I'll ever have the courage to attempt something as crazy as "Getting Over It" again. That thing took on a life of its own-- the thread included. But oh, what sweet memories....

20. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Tell me about it! That was one crazy party, wasn't it? :) I still loved it. Dems was good times! :D

I take it this one won't be so ambitious then? You already have an idea of how long it'll be?

Jae Angel

21. Tyria-Solo

Tyria-Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 22, 2001
    val!! You're back! And you're writing Jacen too! Yay yay yay *dances around thread* :D

22. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Thanks, Tyria! :) I'm working on the next part right this very minute.

23. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Cool! :) It's a great day for it, with it being so grey and yucky out. It's hard to believe that even with the grey, it's the warmest it's been all year around here. Brrrr!

Jae Angel

24. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Here we go!:)

You Set Me Free?Chapter 2
    ~~~~~~~~~~~**~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~**~~~~~~~~

Several moments of awkward silence passed on the bridge of the Jade Shadow. Jacen was painfully aware that Danni was only a few feet from him. Apart from a few beeps and clicks coming from the controls, it was so quiet that he could almost hear her breathing--- or maybe it was just the pounding of his own nervous heart. He had to keep himself from laughing out loud at his own foolish inexperience. Sure, he had fought against the strongest of the Yuuzhan Vong--- and won. Yes, he had survived their capture, their attempts to break him, even to the point where they were ready to make him a deity. But when it came to the fairer sex, he was woefully inept.

True, when he was younger, he had a major crush on Tenel Ka, the warrior princess from his Jedi Academy days. Maybe the fact that she had been his complete opposite was what had attracted him. He recalled trying desperately to make her laugh, but to no avail. His father had mentioned something about men liking a challenge, and Jacen hadn?t understood exactly what Han had been talking about. Now he did, and he knew that Tenel Ka probably did care for him even if she didn?t laugh at any of his jokes.

Then there had been their brief time together before the Myrkr mission. She?d made it clear that she was still interested, and he thought he had been, as well. However, destiny did not direct him down that particular path, and now here he was, alone with a woman he was beginning to care for beyond his usual concern for all things living.

No, Danni Quee was a different story altogether. Instead of a warrior, she embraced her femininity wholeheartedly, yet still maintained her superior intellect in a non-threatening manner. She loved to laugh, loved to learn, and loved to touch. It was something he had noticed on more than one occasion. If someone was hurting, she never shied away from offering a reassuring pat or hug. Even Saba Sebatyne had learned to appreciate Danni?s sincere display of affection despite the Barabel?s initial instinct to attack anyone who dared touch her.

And not only did Danni never fail to touch others, but she loved to be touched in return. The memory of being pressed up against her in the stylus ship all those years ago, of her willingly letting him, a total stranger, hold her while she cried, made his palms sweat?again.

?Jacen??

His head jerked around and he hastily wiped his hands on his pant legs. ?Yeah?? he stammered, still a bit flustered from the heated memory. She stood up and walked toward him with a smile, and for a split second he feared she had read his mind.

?I?ve been thinking,? she stated leaning back on the counter next to him.

?A-about what??

?When we were back near the hatchway earlier??

?Uh-huh,? he mumbled. Like I could forget?

?You called me a ?damsel in distress?.?

He shifted uneasily in his chair. ?I- I was only kidding, Danni,? he defended. Her hand instantly reached out and covered his.

?I know you were, but--- but it made me realize something.? Jacen glanced down at their hands and then back up to her face. ?I may not always have someone like you or Saba around to rescue me. It?s not that I don?t have faith in my friends, but I just feel the need to better defend myself.

?I always believed that as long as I used my brain, I could manage any situation. But if these last several years have taught me anything it?s that while brains are effective in most predicaments, sometimes a little bit of brawn doesn?t hurt.? She shrugged in surrender.

Jacen grinned at her confession. ?True,? he agreed with a nod.

?So I have a proposition for you.? She smiled widely as she pulled him from his seat.

?Uh-oh. I?ve got a bad feeling about this,? he teased.

?Oh, it?s not that awful,? she assured him with a playful swat on his shoulder. ?Jacen Solo,? she announced, standing tall, ?will you teach me how to use a lightsaber??

For a moment,

25. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    And the plot thickens! [face_devil] Awesome dynamics between Jacen and Danni. The way you write romantic tension really does put my stomach in knots! Simply the best! And Luke and Mara are hilarious, with their interruptions. ;) Are poor Jacen and Danni ever going to get a break with them around? :p

Jae Angel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.