main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~* You Set Me Free*~- Update 4/24!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by val solo, Feb 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi_Wans_love_child

Obi_Wans_love_child Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    Hey its the truth. Even now I am looking at the joys of the cervical spine and how the spinous processes do not start dipping until nearing the thoracic spine and then they all just dip.

OWLC

2. val solo

val solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 22, 2000
    You sure know how to sweet talk the females, don't ya?

3. Obi_Wans_love_child

Aug 30, 2001
    Ask my better half. ;)

On a good note though I was wondering if you will be keeping this thread more intimate with a lot of Jacen and Danni or if you will be moving on to get in depth thoughts with Luke and Mara and even Saba. I like Saba. :)

OWLC

4. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    I'll mostly stick with Jacen and Danni probably, with maybe a bit of the others thrown in here and there. I don't have the time to get involved in a story with a zillion characters! :) Plus, I just basically like to write mushy relationship stuff with a bit of adventure tossed in. You won't find me getting too mired in intricate philosophical debates. I'm surrounded by ten year olds all day... my brain needs something that doesn't require too much effort. :D This is just my hobby... my stress release...

5. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Hehehe, and what a stress release it is. :) I can totally see myself doing this ten years from now with kids. It's just too much fun to totally give it up, although I once said that about my music and song-writing. Who knows if I'll get that back someday.

Jae Angel

6. Danny_Quee

Danny_Quee Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 14, 2002
    Just an up for this great story!

7. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    And here's another up! :) Where are you, val? All three of us need to have our little battle of the wits before I leave! :p

Jae Angel

8. Obi_Wans_love_child

Aug 30, 2001
    My wits are somewhere over a cadaver right now NJ, but I will see what I can do. :p

OWLC

9. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Well, I'm here, ready to 'banter'!

10. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    I think we keep on missing each other, but I'll give this a shot! ;) So, how are you two doing, besides having fun with cadavers? :p

I worked with a silly computer simulation today instead of the pig. I miss my piggy! :(

Jae Angel

11. Danny_Quee

Sep 14, 2002
    Cadavers, pigs...everyone else here seems to have a more interesting life than me...

Oh yeah, and up! :)

12. Obi_Wans_love_child

Aug 30, 2001
    Well NJ my next joy will be the differetial dianosis exam i have tomorrow ( i should be in bed and getting a few hours before more studying) Then comes a weekend of studying for a cardio exam (damn Right circumflex artery) and gathering my writing portfolio(stupid grad requirement). But this weekend i will find time to needle you and joke with the Valster. :)

OWLC

13. Nitro29

Nitro29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    Upsy-daisy

14. Danny_Quee

Sep 14, 2002
    I think this needs another up!

15. rogue11lovesjag

rogue11lovesjag Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    UP, I tell you, UP!

~Rogue

16. Nitro29

Nitro29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    Must I be tormented to go digging for this story!

Oh well....up ya go!

17. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Sorry guys! Hectic week at work and home. :( I should have the next post up later today. :)

18. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    You Set Me Free?Chapter 4
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``
    ?So, what you are saying is that the Yuuzhan Vong actually do, in fact, revere life, but not necessarily in a manner that compares to our system of beliefs. Yes??

?Yes.?

Jacen couldn?t help but smile at the older woman sitting across from him in the lush officer?s lounge on board the Widowmaker. Dr. Soron Hegerty?s thirst for information about the Yuuzhan Vong was insatiable. He?d been answering her questions for almost three hours, and if he drank one more cup of stimcaf, he thought he?d explode.

But the conversation had been enjoyable because the woman seemed genuinely sincere in wanting to fully understand the Vong psyche, something not too many people were even slightly interested in attempting. Of course, he didn?t tell her everything he had experienced, such as the minute details of the Embrace of Pain. His hair follicles still ached from that experiment in fine grooming courtesy of his captors. He also left out the fact that he was still telepathically linked to the world brain on old Coruscant in an effort to sabotage the Vong?s attempts at reshaping. No, only he and Uncle Luke knew that bit of information for now. Not even Danni knew, even after their long talks at Mester?s Reef back on Mon Calamari right after his return.

Danni? there she was again, right back at the forefront of his thoughts for the hundredth time. Several times he had caught himself drifting away from the discussion with the doctor and envisioning the pretty young woman hard at work solving another scientific mystery. He loved the way she bit her bottom lip when she was deep in thought pouring over an experiment and the way her face lit up whenever a solution suddenly popped into her mind.

I wonder how she?s doing, he thought, but then he frowned. However and whatever she was doing, she was currently doing it with Dr. Ambross. The man was just too perfect. Weren?t scientists supposed to be homely and clumsy, focused only on their work? At least all of them except for Danni. He desperately wanted her to be interested in something besides her work?namely him?and it startled Jacen to realize how deep his feelings for her were becoming. He?d grown used to having her around all day every day. If their present mission ended successfully, what would happen to their relationship when they returned to the Core? The possibility of life without her was troubling, so he refocused his attention on the present.

?Yes, Dr. Hegerty. You?ve got it,? he reiterated. ?While humans and most other sentients in our galaxy try to avoid pain at all costs, the Yuuzhan Vong, on the other hand, tend to rush toward it. To them, pain is life and life is pain?a concept quite contrary to our own. It?s very difficult for us to even consider the possibility that a race of people would believe such a thing.? Jacen enjoyed sharing his findings with anyone who would listen, and up until now that number had been very few.

?Hmmm? fascinating,? she muttered while contemplating the young Jedi?s words. ?So they believe the only valuable lessons in life are learned through painful experience, and leave no room for any other methods of knowledge acquisition. Whereas, we prefer to exhaust all other means until pain is the only remaining option.? The silver haired woman?s eyes sparkled with comprehension.

?Exactly!? Jacen exclaimed excitedly. ?You understand precisely what I?ve been trying to tell everyone. It?s not necessarily the Vong that are evil and ?wrong?, so to speak. It?s their beliefs we should fault, and those are so deeply embedded into every aspect of their culture. To change the Vong, you have to change their beliefs? maybe give them something new to believe in,? he suggested thoughtfully.

Dr. Hegerty nodded in agreement then leaned back in her chair and sighed heavily. ?You have given this old mind something new to sharpen its teeth on. Thank you for sharing with me, Mr. Solo.?

?Please, call me Jacen. ?Mr. Solo? m

19. SpacedOutAnna

SpacedOutAnna Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2002
    No chance that Jacen'll beat up Ambross in this fic is there? Nice post.... I loved the last line!

Anna

20. Danny_Quee

Sep 14, 2002
    Nice job, val! :)

It was really nice to have another chapter of this story to read! I can't wait for the next one!

21. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    thanks guys! And Anna... you never know! I'm working on the next part already.

22. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    val, this is incredible. I just finished reading all that you have written so far. I'm quite impressed. Its hard to find someone who writes a post Traitor Jacen this well. I'm captivated by this fic. In fact I'm already looking forward to more. ;)

J_J

23. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Thanks, JJ. :) I'm blushing!

It took me a while to get a grip on where Jacen's character was going in the NJO. After his Traitor experience, I was hoping to see a Jacen not afraid to take action... when necessary. But I also thought that having survived such a horrible experience that he would be so much more appreciative of the relationships in his life... you know, choosing to focus on the good things. So I was kind of pleased to see him still retain a gentle nature despite having a little bit of an edge. :)

24. PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL

PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    And now you've messed with my head Val.

25. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    and you've just messed with mine. What on earth are you talking about, Prophet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.