main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

" you should not have come back "

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by comet1440, May 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    how did obi wan come back if he was never there in the first place ? thats just one line I want to clear up , any ideas ?

2. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Wait for May 19, 2005. ;)

3. comet1440

Jan 25, 2004
    ^ the death star wont even be close to complete in episode 3 , and by what we can tell obi wan and vader never meet face face in episode 3 .

4. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    Maybe he means coming back to confront him.

5. comet1440

Jan 25, 2004
    I read the PM you sent BaronFel88 . if what your saying is true than the line makes perfect .

6. USTommie

USTommie Jedi Master star 2

Sep 12, 2002
    Vader and Obi-Wan may not meet in Ep III (or they might), but I always assumed Vader's line alluded to The Duel in Ep III. Vader probably was thinking along the lines of Obi-Wan got lucky, Vader's had 20+ years to stew over that and he's not going to get short changed this time.

7. Captn_Cannonball

Captn_Cannonball Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2004
    i always thought it eluded to to the last time they met. only when i say 'they' im not sure if obi wan had been breathing the same air when anakin is vader or just as anakin (although that air my be filtered quite alot in vader's opinion!).

i dont think so though, so until episode 3 i guess that means THE duel.

8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Yeah, I think it refers to The Duel - Vader goes on to talk about last time, Ben was the Master and Vader but the learner.

Plus, it sounds more impressive than saying "I thought you were dead." Especially when you're 7 feet tall in black armour and have a red lightsaber. ;)

I sincerely hope the DS I is not in Episode III at all, considering it takes them...what, 20 years to build the first one and less than 5 to build the DS II?

That would be an example of Lucas trying to tie too many things in the OT to the PT.

9. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    I think it was ment as You should not have come back to face me again

10. Dog-Gon_Jinn

Dog-Gon_Jinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 28, 2000
    Perhaps Obi-Wan is exiled to Tattooine in exchange for his life. So by "come back" Vader means come back from exile.

Any further discussions on my part though, would violate NSA rules, speculative though they may be.

11. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    I always interpretted this as Vader always knowing that Obi was alive and in hiding - and that he was foolish to engage in the " prime of his power " Vader.

12. obi_wanmeister

obi_wanmeister Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    How many years are between Episode II and III? It would be a travesty to not see the death star in action again.

I dont want to build my hopes up though and ruin the enjoyment of episode III like I did with episode I.

It is probably better to say vader was simply alluding to their previous duel, and if anything happens, it happens.

13. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    I disagree, Garth Maul. The DS is a major part of the entire SW Saga - intrical in every way to the story. Its Palpatines' baby and he would see everyone dead - including Vader - to ensure it being built for him. Its the ultimate symbol of absolute power, just as Palpatine is the ultimate symbol of how absolute power corrupts. Its the " one ring " of the SW Saga. We assume so much for the sake of SW's continuity, your saying we cant do the same for the Death Star, which in my opinion is the MOST important link btwn the 2 trilogies from a metaphorical standpoint. Its Lucas' strongest visual symbolism ( Death Star, that is ).

14. isbagent1

isbagent1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2003
    Maybe Vader meant Ob1 shouldn't have returned, as in he shouldn't have come back after hiding away as a hermit for about two decades.

15. Darth_Jester

Darth_Jester Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2004
    Vader wasn't refering to Obi-Wan coming back to the Death Star, but coming back at all. He's saying Ben should have stayed in whatever hole he crawled into and stayed out of the way. He (Ben) couldn't stop Vader and Sidious before and he cannot stop them now (or so Vader thinks).

If Ben had stayed away he would have lived, but since he bothered to stick his head out, Vader would like nothing more than to remove it from his body.

Thus, "You should not have come back."

16. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Sorry, severian, I can't agree with you.

I think in a way it's too bad Lucas re-used it for ROTJ, although it was cool to set up Palpatine's "You idiot! I knew this would happen all along!" moment to Luke on the Throne Room.

We've already been to Tatooine too much, Threepio was now built by Anakin who grew up there, et cetera.

Don't get me wrongo, I'm very, very happy with the way the PT has turned out - but Lucas has enough loose ends to tie between EIII and the OT - he doesn't need to include the Death Star.

It was cool to see it BRIEFLY in AOTC, to show that Palpatine had his plans going back decades and decades, but it's not needed besides that.

We already have enough repeating themes - it's the last SW movie, don't give us something we've already seen.

I could stand MAYBE Palps mentioning it to Vader or something, but we do not need any more connections made! There's no point!

17. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Maybe Vader meant Ob1 shouldn't have returned, as in he shouldn't have come back after hiding away as a hermit for about two decades.

Nailed it. It has nothing to do with their duel. He meant.."you should not have come out of hiding.".

18. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    How many years are between Episode II and III? It would be a travesty to not see the death star in action again.

Three years, but I really wouldn't get your hopes up about the Death Star being in Ep3. It'd be kinda odd to have it activate and floating about for the nineteen years between Ep3 and ANH without it doing anything.

19. Darthside

Darthside Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2004
    darth vader means his battle with obi wan in episode 3 b4 he became darth vader remember anakin turns into darth vader and in episode 3 anakin(vader) faces obi wan in a duel and thats why he said it and the line with ''when i left you i was but the learner now i am the master'' obi wan trains anakin in episodes 1 and 2 i can't believe u didnt know this havent u watched all 5 movies u will probably get it if u watch all of them episodes 1,2,4,5,6

20. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Well I think Obi-Wan does duel with Vader in Episode III. In my opinion, I think Anakin will be Vader before the black suit. Whether or not he sees Vader again in the black suit is for discussion in the E3A forum.
    Any way, Vader wasn't referring to the Death Star. He meant that Obi-Wan should not have come back into Vader's life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.