main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "You still want that drink?" (Very short story, AU, decades post-RotJ, Oneshot. PG rating)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Ulicus , May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    You still want that drink?
    A really short little story by Ulicus

----

?And what?s your name, little man?? The drunken patron wheezed through vile, cracked lips, her eyes running over the hooded male before her appreciatively, taking in every inch of his form despite the rough, black clothes that adorned it. She?d seen the look he?d given her, and that was the look a guy gave when he wanted to ?dance?. Well, Yuuna wanted to dance alright, whether this human did or not. It had been over a month since she'd last been in port and, desperate as she might might have been, she wasn't the sort to degrade herself by fornicating with a crew of cutthroats and thieves.

Not even her own.

A few long, drawn out moments passed as she waited for the darkly clad, delectable piece of meat in front of her to respond but, to her chagrin, the apparently middle-aged man made no sign that he had heard her. Instead, he downed the last mouthful of whatever beverage had been in his filthy glass and signed across the cantina for the barman to bring another.

Anger followed.

?Hey! I asked you a question, barve!? The bothan bellowed, accidentally belching in the process as she unhooked her blaster from its holster and rammed it into her soon-to-be conquest's well muscled side. Yet, to her surprise, the man didn?t move but for a slight tilt of the head that cast a dirty grey-blond lock of hair over his forehead.

?Oh, I?m sorry. I was preoccupied with my drink,? He slurred over a wry smile that sent Yuuna into an even deeper rage.

?Preoccupied with your drink? You think you can bat those pretty little human eyes at me and then play hard to get? Well you picked the wrong woman, pal. I take what I want, when I want!?

Impossibly, Yuuna felt the packed, smoke-laced cantina go cold as the man spoke again.

?I know you do, Yuuna. That?s why I?m here.? He said as though one with authority, and the words he spoke were this time as clear and sharp as an adegan crystal. Too clear. Too sharp.

"H-how did you know my name?? She asked quietly, the sound of her voice almost refusing to come. This was her first visit to the planet.

?I know all about you, Yuuna,? he continued in the same tone, his voice never wavering, ?I know about the men, women and children you killed on your last raid. The last of many. I know their names, I know the hopes and aspirations that buoyed their spirits before you so casually snuffed their bright lives out over the crudest of matters. I know what you did and I know who you are. What you are.?

?That?s enough!? She screamed, the hairy pores of her skin clammy with cold sweat, not caring for an instant what anyone else thought of her and this stranger in their isolated corner. She pushed the tip of her weapon further into his side, ?Another word and you?ll be breathing in the smoke of your own burning entrails, you hear??

His sky-like eyes met hers with the promise of thunder to come.

?I?m giving you a chance to give it up Yuuna. A chance to be a woman with a life worth living.? His voice dropped as her grip on the blaster tightened to the point it was shaking in her hand, ?One chance, Yuuna. To pull that trigger is to condemn yourself to death.?

?We?ll see!? She shrieked, pulling her finger back so hard that she drew blood. As she did so, time seemed to slow to a crawl around her and, for an instant, Yuuna felt as though reality were a rug that had been pulled from under her feet: a cruel, cosmic joke, revealing the world of the flesh to be nothing more than a dusty shroud. Yet, though her blaster made a strange snap-hiss of a sound as it went off, not at all like she was used to, her nostrils were soon treated to the smell of sizzling, scorched flesh. It was a scent she would always recognise, a scent that had become like kin over her years of murder and death and, inside her mind, she crowed with delight. For all his talk, the man had been nothing in the? wait, the word flashed across her brain, when had she dropped her blaster? Why was he still sitting there? Wh

2. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Very interesting take on Luke as a Jedi nomad superhero righting wrongs in the galaxy and finishing up with a drink. I admit as I read I had no idea it would be Luke confronting her. I thought maybe Corran or Katran when I knew it was a lightsaber. Would like to see this go further, maybe he'd visit Leia and Han or others once in a while and of course Leia would object to her brothers lifestyle. But, that's up to you.

As far as copying and pasting from Word, I have the same problem with the lines. I found that if you Publish to HTML on Word or Save As a HTML doc. and copy and paste that, you may get rid of the bunched lines.

You have a good start to an idea here.

3. canadianjedimama

canadianjedimama Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 28, 2008
    Uli...that was wicked!:cool:

I didn't know you wrote, man.=D=

*sigh* I miss Luke "Badass" Skywalker too.

Excellent. Oh, and never apologize for using the proper spelling...I don't.:p

CJM

4. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Thank you. :)

Ha, you know, that actually reminds me that I had originally intended to write Luke with a beard. That was one of the key things that came up in the original conversation... and I forgot all about it. :oops:

I'm not entirely sure Leia would object to Luke living such a lifestyle. ;)

I think one of the biggest problems with the post-RotJ EU is that they've tried to make Luke into a Yoda figure when that's just not who he is. He is, or rather should be, the quintessential Jedi Knight. Though immensely powerful, I'm not convinced that he's really "Jedi Master" material - at least not in the "you should come to me for answers" kinda way.

I think I'd have preferred to Luke to reform the Jedi Order and then... leave it to build up on its own. As it stands, he will always be seen as "the Founder" and thus the most important which isn't, really, that healthy a situation for the Jedi Order to have. His actions in the DNT, when he attempts to unite the Jedi against him only to have them *laud* his decision to snatch power prove this, I think.

Okay, I might try that if I ever write another fic. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Thanks, but I think I'll leave it as a oneshot.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. As for writing... I generally don't anymore. I can rarely hold my own interest long enough to make it worthwhile. ;)

Haha! [face_laugh]

Well, I wasn't really apologetic. :p

5. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I really liked this. It shows the Luke I'd like to see more frequently.
    The kind of Jedi who goes out and does what needs to be done. Yeah, I miss bad-ass Luke, too. :p

Beautifully written, by the way.
    =D=

6. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Uli!!! That was beautifully done! You worded it so that I fell into the story hook, line, and sinker and was shocked when it was revealed to be Luke. I agree that it seems to fit Corran or Kyle more, but it is an interesting take on how Luke could have been perhaps if he didn't restart the Jedi order.

[:D]:*

7. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    CURSE YOU! I'd JUST gotten over wanting that Han&Lando OldMan BuddyCop Movie, and now you give me Avenging Drunk!Kenobi-style Skywalker!

Great reveal at the end too. I was thinking it was going to be entirely Original Characters.

But yeah, it makes me nostalgic for the time when I thought all Jedi Knights were wandering travellers righting wrongs and teaching Valuable Lessons to Wayward Youngsters. Back before the PT explained that they were kung-fu monks.

8. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Thanks Ceillian, you too Sey. :)

Bec, the Old Han/Lando Buddy Movie MUST HAPPEN!

(I thought all Jedi Knights were wondering travellers who did their own thing, too. A... loose brotherhood, rather than an order. I'm not totally unhappy with what the PT did but... yeah, I'd have liked Yoda at least to have been a hermit from the getgo)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.