main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You suck, Ambien!

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Gee, ya think?

And yes, multiple health professionals have recommended other things with significant overlap among them (for obvious reasons). The sleep aids were not the first method tried, but the current guy with the M.D. eventually decided that I could use them; boy was he wrong! Stupid doctors and their fancy medicine.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yeah, I bet now you feel stupid for mocking whatever that "natural medicines" website was that you linked us to was, don't you? They told you it was all a big scam!

3. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    OREGANO CURES CANCER

No, wait, I'm not thinking "naturally"...

MARIJUANA CURES CANCER

4. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Yeah...well you suck, también!

5. Darth_Dial-Up

Darth_Dial-Up Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2007
    I used to take Ambien, and I never experienced any of the side effects mentioned in this thread. It didn't help my insomnia, either. It didn't do squat.
    Now, when I have trouble sleeping, I just take some Tylenol PM (or Nyquil when I have a cold...and sometimes when I don't. [face_shhh] I likes the cherry-flavored Nyquil.:p)

6. Mr_Burns

Mr_Burns Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 12, 2001
    I once had this friend and so this one time he he he took some Ambien and he took it and then he turned into a dinosaur but he was a friendly dinosaur but then he was being hunted by these guys who I think were actually aliens but probably not and then he eated this big marshmallow and the marshmallow was so big it went out his nostrils and went on the ground and the guys chasing on it slipped on it and then they fell over and then he went to the mall but couldn't get in because he was a dinosaur so then he went away and got into his car but it was actually a apple and it eated him.

Okay bye.

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

Have you tried melatonin?

...much better choice than narcotics.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Perhaps this is yet another good reason for legalizing medicinal marijuana.

9. PrincessChattyCathy

PrincessChattyCathy Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2005
    I will second Harps suggestion of melatonin. It can be very helpful.
    There are a number of things you can also try if you have not done so already. Look at other medications you take and see if any of them cause sleep disturbances, many anti-depressants do. If you are on any that have sleeplessness as a possible side effect take them in the morning rather than at night. You may need to consult with a physician to make sure you do this safely.

Meditate before sleeping, turn off all distraction and try just breathing and relaxing for 15 minutes, you will probably have to build up to this. Also try to get into a regular bedtime routine, if you can train your body to recognize when it is time to sleep you will find falling asleep to become easier most of the time. If you are already doing this then I am sorry I am unable to help.

10. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Whatever happened to doing whippets and huffing markers, spraypaint, glue, and other household solvents?

11. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    Melatonin apparently only works for people who have rhythm sleep disorders, which is very different from typical insomnia but worth looking into if you think that might be your problem.

I don't know what your doctors have told you, but in the past I've been recommended the following:

- exercising during the day, basically to wear yourself out
    - no caffeine, especially after 7pm
    - no TV or computer at least an hour before you want to sleep ( :p )
    - no snacks up to 3 hours before you want to sleep
    - sound machine
    - magnesium supplements
    - milk
    - tea
    - no napping. ever.
    etc, etc...

Some of them work for some people some of the time, I think. :p If your problem is turning off your brain, though, I'd suggest meditation. If you're unsure about how to go about that, try audio guided meditations. You can get them on CD or download mp3s on Amazon. There are special ones just for help sleeping.

12. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    What's that old saying?

What's yer poison?
    [image=http://www.upgradetravelbetter.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/mini-liquor-bottles.jpg]

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Tried pretty much all of those, 'cept magnesium. Don't consume caffeine much anyway, haven't napped since the problem started as I have trouble sleeping at any time, tried to wear myself out but it's not really a matter of not being tired enough blah blah blah. The meditation techniques I've found seem a lot like things my therapist told me to try, although she hasn't called it meditation.

Argh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.