main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You think that's air you're breathing?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by DVeditor, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minder

Minder Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    I LOVED #1. I saw it 8 times in the theaters.

I liked #2, however the plot inconsistencies bothered me. Most glaringly the importance of NEO to the machines. When they showed the agents talking amongst themselves in #1 they showed no inkling of having done this 6 times before, and in #2 they knew that "The One" was crucial to their survival. I do not believe that they would be trying to kill him. They might pretend to others that they were trying to kill him, but when they talk amongst themselves it would be a different conversation.

I did NOT!!! like the graphics in the big Smith Battle, and on the agents. At the time this movie was made CGI was capable of making a photo realistic Gollum, but this movie fell severely short of making their characters. Every time a CGI character was on screen, I was taken completely out of the story.

I did NOT like #3 at all, but I didn't like it, because it was predictable and tired. I actually saw all of the plot twists way ahead, and they actually made sense to me. I never said WT*??, but I still didn't like them, it was a REAL downer ending.

2. Jedi_Aron_Tylander

Jedi_Aron_Tylander Jedi Youngling star 3

May 29, 2004
    I first thought that the ending of the Matrix trilogy made no sense at all. But after realizing what do the films really meant I've changed my opinion.

The films seems to be some sort of a modern poetry --- and like all other forms of poetry, the message is obscured, unclear to the readers or as to the films, to audiences. Like Star Wars, many doesn't realize the plot and what do each plot points wants us to see. Like Star Wars, many misunderstood the Matrix. And like Star Wars, many plot points are left to us for interpretations and opinions.

Actually, I've found both SW and the Matrix concerning for only one thing. This thing I am talking about is, I guess, would be the answer to the mysterious prophecy of bringing Balance to the Force. Just wait cause I am doing an essay for this one.

3. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    It really does make you think. Even after the movies I still find myself asking questions because I still don't fully understand everything.

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    yeah. there are somethings we still won't understand no matter how many times you've seen the films

5. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    I must be the only one who likes Revolutions better than the first or second. The first one was great, sure, but the 3rd one blew me away. The second one was the one I had trouble understanding.

6. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I loved Revolutions as well.

On opening night I broke my finger while waiting in line. Now, did I go home? Heck no. I stayed I watched the movie.

7. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    How do you break your finger while waiting in line for a movie? o_O :p

I always like to go back and watch these and try to look for things I didn't see before. There is so much going on both with the story and the visual elements that there seems to be no bottom to the rabbit hole. (Sorry had to slip that in. ;))

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    My real problem with these films was the lack of coherency. I'm not referring to the complexities of the plot, or their use of symbolism throughout the trilogy. That was perfectly fine, and perhaps even to be applauded. But it doesn't change the fact that the plot itself was outright contradictory. Consider:

1. At the end of the second film, Neo is presented with that choice. One of those options is that the Matrix crashes, and all of humanity is destroyed. The Architect specifically describes this option as acceptable, and further claims the machines would surive, sice there were "levels of existence we're prepared to accept."

2. At the end of the third film, the machines appeal to Neo for help to stop Smith. Why? Because he's taken over the Matrix.

Clearly, this makes no sense.

If simply turning off the Matrix and surviving without their "human batteries" was an option, they shouldn't have needed Neo's help to defeat Smith. Though Smith had inhabited a human body, it's quite well established that even the lowliest machines can tear apart a physical human easily (thus the reason for humans having lost the war in the first place). So the only real threat Smith presented was his control of the Matrix--much like Neo had before him (and still has). So why wouldn't simply turning off the Matrix be an option, thus destroying Smith and solving their problem?

Alternatively, if turning off the Matrix was not a real option, then the threat to Neo made in the second film was not a credible threat. As such, the machines had already lost, as they had no way to make the One obey them.

Either way, the stroy doesn't make sense. It fundadmentally comes unhinged here.

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    one of the things i liked about Revolutions was the battle inside Zion with the giant battle suits that looked like the exosuit from aliens except with weapons. those were pretty sweet

10. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
  11. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    The architect might have just been lying about the whole thing. I doubt that they could survive with the matrix turned off forever since they need humans. I'm sure there are more contradictions in the plot then just that.

When you think about it, LOTR used the same setup as the Matrix trilogy. The first film introduced us to the inner workings of the new and fantastical world and thus explained the rules of engagement for the next to films, allowing the film makers to delve deeper into the story.

12. Jedi_Aron_Tylander

Jedi_Aron_Tylander Jedi Youngling star 3

May 29, 2004
    I didn't notice that earlier but since you brought this up, I don't know if I will be able to convince you, but here's a possible answer:

Let us first review that scene with the Matrix: The architect reveals to Neo that he was an anomaly caused by human's rejection of the matrix world (red/blue pill scenario) and and the Chosen One prophecy was a system to control him, thus the Architect was leading Neo to him. The Architect then give Neo a program, rather just an anomaly that is to select a number of women and men needed to restart Zion.

That is when the Architect gave Neo a choice: to save the machines, to shut down the Matrix so that it will be reloaded and erase the virus that is Smith. The effect would be the death of millions of people jacked into the Matrix. THAT would temporarily shut the Matrix down but the machines have already a contingency plan: the men and women Neo selected that the machines would preserve. From the lost people the machines need would be replenished. That's why the Architect is bold to say that they can accept any levels of existence.

BUT Neo chooses the unexpected way. The result is the virus becomes stronger, eating all the system inside the Matrix. It is expected that Smith would even reach the source, thus shutting the machines themselves. And when Neo offers them help, the machines (now learning human emotions) accept it.

13. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Okay... I want to keep this short and sweet.

The Matrix, what else can be said. Awesome movie.
    Reloaded, still one of my biggest dissapointments in a movie.
    Revolutions, Still love this one, think it's much better than the second.

In between Reloaded and Revolutions, I absorbed as much Matrix knowledge as possible. Comics, books, games, movies, even the freakin Philosophy books. I ate it all up. Add to the fact that I am in fact a big fan of Anime, Revolutions ended up being everything I expected it to be, with my only problem being Trinitys death being way too long.

Favorite Action Scene: Tie. The Lobby Scene and The Mansion Fight
    Least Favorite Action Scene: Burly Brawl... WHAT THE CRAP!? Neo looks like rubber.

My biggest beef with these movies, is the same beef I have with most Anime I watch also. Using big words to explain the simple. Actually the Matrix used computer lingo to explain the simple, but it's the same concept.

But in the end, Sci-fi is my favorite genre of movies, and I love Anime. There is no possible way I would not enjoy these movies despite how bad Reloaded was. I'm exagerating, sorry, Reloaded wasn't "that" bad. :)

Short and simple? bah...

14. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Heres a matrix music video thats 30 mins long, nearly 300Mb and took 3 years to make. No, I didnt make it, I'm just hosting it. :p

http://www.odj310388.com/other/videos/Piech%20Productions%20-%20The%20SMMV%20Supermoves%20Matrix%20Music%20Video.avi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.